Post your AT&T HSPA+/LTE Speeds

acsef

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Finally got in an LTE area in Los Angeles and got 21 and 6. Liking this speed :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

abot

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Your point is just about to be invalid as Verizon has over 2/3 of their nationwide footprint blanketed with 4G LTE. So in a few months hardly any market is going to be without LTE on Verizon.
That said, HSPA+ technology itself is much faster than EVDO which is why Verizon is getting out of their way to have the entire nation covered with 4G LTE by the end of next year. It looks like they will meet and exceed that goal.

He was not refering to the size or footprint of VZW's LTE network but the "fallback" when the LTE signal is lost. Just because your area has LTE that doesn't mean you'll get it all the time. Sometimes the signal will fallback to a lower speed. AT&Ts fallback is more layered than Verizon's with HSPA+ -> HSPA -> EDGE. With Verizon its either LTE or EVDO. AT&T's fallback is faster than VZW.

solutionpc

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm lucky to live/work in the Boston, MA area, so shortly after I got my new GS3, I was in Methuen, and got nearly 58Mbps down and 14Mbps up...consistantly in the 50's...then as I was driving North, away from the LTE coverage area, into Salem NH, it got slower, until I lost LTE and dropped down to HSPA+ which wasn't so bad at all at 7.2Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

The next day, I got to test it around Boston and Cambridge where I get high 20's, low 30's down and around 10Mbps up. I'm a happy camper!

See attached screenshot (BTW, I love the palm-swipe screenshot feature of the GS3)

Cheers! :D

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting these. Off topic but I wonder why Texas is so dense with LTE. Even Sprint is starting the majority of its LTE there. Looser regulation, denser populations, maybe more crazies willing to climb towers.. Dont mess with Texas LTE edition

Keep in mind Texas is AT&T's home state. On that note this was taken in The Woodlands, Texas. Not the best I've gotten but still pretty impressive!
View attachment 30679

The only problem is your test was done with the new iPad, and not a Galaxy S3, similar but not the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Seeing some impressive speeds here. To bad Chicago got the short end of the straw. Hopefully that'll change in time and they'll add more spectrum here.

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
He was not refering to the size or footprint of VZW's LTE network but the "fallback" when the LTE signal is lost. Just because your area has LTE that doesn't mean you'll get it all the time. Sometimes the signal will fallback to a lower speed. AT&Ts fallback is more layered than Verizon's with HSPA+ -> HSPA -> EDGE. With Verizon its either LTE or EVDO. AT&T's fallback is faster than VZW.

You completely missed the point. The point was that Verizon is soon not gonna need layers since almost the entire footprint will be LTE. That's their goal by the end of 2013. If they keep their current pace, they're about to exceed it.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100% ! Sprint in Philly on 3G was terrible: like 87 Kbps (even in the sprint store down town). Interestingly, their 4g had gotten much better very recently so I don't know if they were reallocating bandwidth. However, WiMAX on Evo kills the battery so quickly, it's not feasible to use it.

Switching to AT&T was the best decision ever!

If always getting between 2 and 5 MEG'S download speed !!!!!

Cal quality on s3 and AT&T is awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
You completely missed the point. The point was that Verizon is soon not gonna need layers since almost the entire footprint will be LTE. That's their goal by the end of 2013. If they keep their current pace, they're about to exceed it.

i think your missing the point that when big reds LTE goes out your left with crap..

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm lucky to live/work in the Boston, MA area, so shortly after I got my new GS3, I was in Methuen, and got nearly 58Mbps down and 14Mbps up...consistantly in the 50's...then as I was driving North, away from the LTE coverage area, into Salem NH, it got slower, until I lost LTE and dropped down to HSPA+ which wasn't so bad at all at 7.2Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

The next day, I got to test it around Boston and Cambridge where I get high 20's, low 30's down and around 10Mbps up. I'm a happy camper!

See attached screenshot (BTW, I love the palm-swipe screenshot feature of the GS3)

Cheers! :D

I'm amazed at the speed you are getting in the Boston / Cambridge area. My office is in Chelsea, but I spend more time in Cambridge.

I have had my phone about 3 weeks and I find the LTE service very hit or miss. I've never seen speeds beyond 3-6 Mb/s down / 1 Mb/s up. I either have service or I have nothing. At my office in Chelsea, service is awful. One to two bars at most. The LTE fades in and out continually. I haven't been that impressed with AT&T's service.

Where in Boston do you spend most time? I'm usually driving around in Cambridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835