No FM Radio on AT&T Galaxy S3?

IamAwesom3

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at a post about hidden features of Samsung Galaxy S3. One of the feature was FM Radio but I don't see that FM radio app icon in my app list.

Then I searched online and found that FM radio is available only in International Version. :(

Why AT&T why? Why would you want to disable FM radio from hardware?

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Obviously they hate music.....>jk:D
Seriously though I think more and more carriers are refraining from adding personalized apps because they fear the bloat ware accusations we throw at them once they come on the phone pre installed .

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Last edited:

ydjk58

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Bionic and am awaiting my VZW SIII, and I know on the bionic all we had to do was side load the FM Radio APK and it worked, not sure if it will be the same for the SIII, but just an idea.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at a post about hidden features of Samsung Galaxy S3. One of the feature was FM Radio but I don't see that FM radio app icon in my app list.

Then I searched online and found that FM radio is available only in International Version. :(

Why AT&T why? Why would you want to disable FM radio from hardware?

Except this isn't really bloatware! It supports a hardware feature. It'd be like leaving out the camera app.

So, does this mean for sure the FM radio isn't in the hardware? I'm assuming it isn't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

That's my guess. Remember, the international and North American S3's are really totally different devices. It may be that with the LTE radio, there wasn't room available for the circuitry needed for an FM radio receiver too.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how the SGS3 is set up but on the Evo4GLTE the apps panel has a music app that comes with three music apps and Room for six if you choose.
Maybe ice has this in S3?
425756e5-ce4f-3892.jpg

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

IamAwesom3

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
That's my guess. Remember, the international and North American S3's are really totally different devices. It may be that with the LTE radio, there wasn't room available for the circuitry needed for an FM radio receiver too.

Yes you may be right. With LTE Radio on the chip, there may not be space available for FM Radio receiver.

amomtan

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, my Samsung Galaxy SIII is not an American version, and it has JB installed,,
I tried to install the extracted original copy of the FM radio, it didn't work!
but I just found a solution >> try to install Spirit (light or Unlocked) and TUNE ;)
I also understood, even this external app, doesn't work on all devices!

search google for spirit fm apk !!

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
This is still the biggest disappointment for me on the GS3. I listen to local radio daily for npr news and local sports.

My old HTC has an FM tuner which allowed me move seamlessly from my car to grocery shopping etc., Now I basically just can't do that without having to plan on preloading podcasts. I miss the spontaneity of just listening to the radio.

Data apps like Tunein radio just don't work all that well on public wifi or cellular network. The stream just drops out constantly and it just makes the whole thing infuriating, not to mention the data cost for an hour's worth of audio.

I don't have LTE in my area. AT&T has blocked Google wallet, and even if I had Google wallet I wouldn't be able to pay with nfc in my area because there are no nfc payment sites.

I would gladly trade my LTE antennas and NFC antenna for an FM tuner and antenna in my GS3. By the time I am able to use either LTE or NFC payment where I live , it will be time for a new phone anyway.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The International version of the S3 has the quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM, and a FM radio tuner. The North American version has 2GB of RAM, LTE, and no FM tuner in the hardware. This is not an issue of the app not being there just to hide a hardware feature, but isn't there because the hardware it needs is not there.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
That's one feature I'd like to see on the North American S3. The Lumia 900/920 and HTC One X/X+ have FM tuners. The Lumia 920 apparently has the chip, but the software does not allow use of it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463