Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default headphones + Mic

has anyone had any issues with the microphone working with 3rd party headphones. I am thinking I have a bad jack on my phone, but want to see if anyone else has had any issues. I will be checking the headset that came with the phone later tonight, but wanted to confirm Samsung didn't change any of the pin settings or anything on these phones.

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts

Default Re: headphones + Mic

Yup, I have the P5 Bowers and Wilkens that work great with my laptop, blackberry and ipod touch but no dice with the galaxy s3. Not a deal breaker, but kinda sucks.

My power beats have the same issue. Found out its a hardware limitation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I just found that out with my Beats by Dre Tour headphones. The only beats I found that work with SGIII is iBeats.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well glad to know I am not the only one, but getting seriously tired of Samsung changing standard things for no damn reason. I can understand, well almost, that volume up and down on 3 button headphones may not work, but seriously the microphone? that has to be one of the most standard things that should work no matter the headset used.

Anyone know what about the hardware limits it or is it just the software configuration in how it interprets the signals coming in from the different sections of the jack.
    Raneciansamaiya likes this.

I think its ridiculous... Beats aren't cheap and they are really good earbuds but they don't agree with my SGIII. Its a sad day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mfriedman79 View Post
    ... but getting seriously tired of Samsung changing standard things for no damn reason.
    I think you have all wrong.....the one that changed from the standard was apple. The iphone is the only phone (to my knowledge) that has a four stage 1/8" plug. Everyone else uses a 3 stage (rings) connection. That is why you have all the controls that you get with all the iphone headphones, but they all specifically say that they (controls) only work with apple devices.

This has been an issues for years....

I see why they send you headphone.... Compatibility issues. SMDH

Quote Originally Posted by necinmaiya View Post
    I see why they send you headphone.... Compatibility issues. SMDH
    While the free headphones that come with the phones always suck. Every good smartphone has come with free in ear buds for a while now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Raneciansamaiya likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Crey23 View Post
    I think you have all wrong.....the one that changed from the standard was apple. The iphone is the only phone (to my knowledge) that has a four stage 1/8" plug. Everyone else uses a 3 stage (rings) connection. That is why you have all the controls that you get with all the iphone headphones, but they all specifically say that they (controls) only work with apple devices.

A few years ago I would have agreed with this, but as my headset works fine on my GS2 there should be no reason for it not working on the GS3. I am a bit confused though as why the stock GS2 headset has no problems with the MIC on either phone. I would think the GS2 headset would not work with the 3 either.

So in the other thread I created asking specifically about my Power Beats not working with the SIII, someone said it was a hardware issue, and not a software issue. Does anyone have proof of this? I'm reluctant to buy an in ear blue tooth piece, and would like to think there's hope for my headset.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!

Quote Originally Posted by necinmaiya View Post
    I just found that out with my Beats by Dre Tour headphones. The only beats I found that work with SGIII is iBeats.
    You should try urbeats it's made for htc but works on Samsung galaxy

anyone having problems with audio? I get skipping and it just stops

What headset are using

Vmoda form the apple store, had them since I had my 4S so quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky2010 View Post
    Vmoda form the apple store, had them since I had my 4S so quite a while.
    What kind of vmoda is it

in ear headphones not sure what the model is but its got the mic and volume buttons as well.

I just tested galaxy s 3 and the mic and all 3 buttons work on galaxy s3 and Sony ion phone
    ( I used the ur beats and htc beats solo to test it out ) but the Sony smart should work too
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

The NOCS NS200H's for Android have full button support on the GS3. They don't sound quite as good as my NS400's, but at least the mic, volume up, and volume down buttons all work.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Talking Re: headphones + Mic

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXe View Post
    So in the other thread I created asking specifically about my Power Beats not working with the SIII, someone said it was a hardware issue, and not a software issue. Does anyone have proof of this? I'm reluctant to buy an in ear blue tooth piece, and would like to think there's hope for my headset.
    Okay to finally clarify this issue for all.
    In all of these explanations- imagine that the headphone plug is facing right (ie -->)
    Connection types for headphones with volume controls, and a mic are labeled as TRRS. The original 3.5mm headphones (for the first ipods etc) used TRS- Tip, Ring, Sleeve- from left to right, Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground.

On TRRS there are 2 types- the original TRRS configuration was produced by Nokia and has a pinout of Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic, Ground.

Apple came along and in typical elitist fashion changed their pinout to Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic.

This is why many apple headsets will not work with android, because the last 2 connections, for Mic and Ground are switched. It also presents an issue with controls. The way that songs are skipped (forwards, backwards, and pause)comes through signals that are sent down the ground channel. The way that volume is increased/decreased happens through signals sent down the Mic channel. This is why- if you try a set of newer iPhone earbuds on the GSIII- as I have- the center button does nothing, but yet the volume up and volume down both pause tracks, and allow you to skip them!!

Apple has patents on their software that will interpret these signals- and in fact the resistances (the actual ohm resistance in-line on the controls- not to get scientific or anything are designed to work only with Apple products.

Hope this clarifies things up a bit

List of headset and headphones that work all three buttons & mic
    - urbeats (not ibeats)
    - htc beats solo (pm for just the cable)
    - Sony smart headset
    - Nocs NS200H-001 (they also have a free app)
    Nokia purity hd and in ears
    Last edited by thelastred; 10-09-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Jonneh 

So just to make sure I'm not missing something.
    These will work perfectly out of the box : Amazon.com: NOCS NS200H-001 NS200 3.5mm Earphones with Remote and Mic - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

And is there a difference in these? They are 20 bucks cheaper. Amazon.com: Nocs NS200-001 NS200 Earphones with Remote and Mic-Black: Electronics

Default headphones + Mic

Default headphones + Mic

Quote Originally Posted by archer23 View Post
    So just to make sure I'm not missing something.
    These will work perfectly out of the box : Amazon.com: NOCS NS200H-001 NS200 3.5mm Earphones with Remote and Mic - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

And is there a difference in these? They are 20 bucks cheaper. Amazon.com: Nocs NS200-001 NS200 Earphones with Remote and Mic-Black: Electronics
    Also the Nokia purity hd and inear will work out of the box

Yes the 1st link for android version should work out of the box

ROM
    Back to Stock TW

Quote Originally Posted by Crey23 View Post

Nail -> Head. This isn't an Samsung problem, it's all Apple and now that everyone knows that Apple will sue them into oblivion it's never going to change. What needs to happen is that more 3rd party manufacturers need to produce accessories to work with the S3.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast