Screen size of S3 vs SG Note? Who's seen 'em side-by-side?

TheKISSarmy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been hearing so much about how big the S3 screen is that I'm curious how it stacks up when compared side-by-side with the Note. I'll be getting one of these two phones this month and the screen size is a big factor for me. Anyone have any insight?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Here you go. The SGSIII is much more narrow so although it is considered a large screen at 4.8 inches it is narrow and you can do things one handed unlike the GNote.

I love my GNote too much to let it go! I plan to carry it with me on my business trips and use it on wifi with my Verizon Mifi hotspot. To browse the web, email etc.

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the SIII is narrow enough to use one handed. Doenst really feel much bigger than the 4" Captivate Glide I had. I compared the Note to the SIII and the difference is dramatic. I know there are a lot of note fans out there, but its doenst seem that much smaller than my 7" tablet. Looks more like you should be flipping pancakes with that thing. Before you buy, go and look at both and compare them side by side. Too big for me might be perfect for you.

carlosrey23

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note and loved it. The S3 is about half an inch wider, and about 3/8's taller.

The only reason to get the Note over the S3 is the s-pen. The phone has some lag, but nothing unbearable, but it is about 8 months old now, and by tech standards it's old. The battery life was not great, but it was not bad either. I loved this phone. It was great size and the ability to take notes, and make notes on pictures was really cool! But it had it's drawbacks, and some just bothered me too much....for instance watching movies and/or videos it had trouble handling dark shades, and they would all look just washed out. The camera took amazing pictures, reading books, or the web was a pleasure.

The S3 on the other hand, has a gorgeous screen.. I got the chance to see it in person and it was just amazing. The battery life on any ICS device should be pretty good. My experience on old phones running ICS ROMs always had a great improvement on battery life. The thing the S3 brings is a better, more efficient chipset, a super fast camera with continous shooting and nearly instantaneous focus. It too has removable battery and can support up to 64GB SD Card.

I am getting my SGS3 Tomorrow, and I think I will not miss the Note much over it. I do have to say the s-pen absolutely made the Note an awesome phone, more than the screen and any of the other features...That I still miss. In fact, planning on getting the Galaxy Note 10.1 when it comes out. That will be the greatest device!

I hope this helps you decision.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the SIII is narrow enough to use one handed. Doenst really feel much bigger than the 4" Captivate Glide I had. I compared the Note to the SIII and the difference is dramatic. I know there are a lot of note fans out there, but its doenst seem that much smaller than my 7" tablet. Looks more like you should be flipping pancakes with that thing. Before you buy, go and look at both and compare them side by side. Too big for me might be perfect for you.

Could not resist... The 7 inch tablet is quite a bit larger than the GNote. I received the Tab 2 as a gift and am debating on keeping it or taking it back. Luckily, I have a while to decide (Costco). I have not even turned on the Tab. I am leaning toward taking it back.

Last edited:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I had the Note and loved it. The S3 is about half an inch wider, and about 3/8's taller.

The only reason to get the Note over the S3 is the s-pen. The phone has some lag, but nothing unbearable, but it is about 8 months old now, and by tech standards it's old. The battery life was not great, but it was not bad either. I loved this phone. It was great size and the ability to take notes, and make notes on pictures was really cool! But it had it's drawbacks, and some just bothered me too much....for instance watching movies and/or videos it had trouble handling dark shades, and they would all look just washed out. The camera took amazing pictures, reading books, or the web was a pleasure.

The S3 on the other hand, has a gorgeous screen.. I got the chance to see it in person and it was just amazing. The battery life on any ICS device should be pretty good. My experience on old phones running ICS ROMs always had a great improvement on battery life. The thing the S3 brings is a better, more efficient chipset, a super fast camera with continous shooting and nearly instantaneous focus. It too has removable battery and can support up to 64GB SD Card.

I am getting my SGS3 Tomorrow, and I think I will not miss the Note much over it. I do have to say the s-pen absolutely made the Note an awesome phone, more than the screen and any of the other features...That I still miss. In fact, planning on getting the Galaxy Note 10.1 when it comes out. That will be the greatest device!

I hope this helps you decision.

The SGSIII also has the S memo app. I did and do actually use my GNote to take notes etc. The SGSIII does not use a WACOM pen but a capacitive C Pen. I ordered the OEM version ($28) for the SGSGIII and will see if that does the trick.

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Could not resist... The 7 inch tablet is quite a bit larger than the GNote. I received the Tab 2 as a gift and am debating on keeping it or taking it back. Luckily, I have a while to decide (Costco). I have not even turned on the Tab. I am leaning toward taking it back.

Fair enough. But from a usage case its hard to justify a 7" tablet if you have a 5.3" phone. For me a 4.8" phone, a 7" tablet, a 10" netbook and a 15.6" laptop works. They all have different screen sizes and I have different use cases for each. I thought the Note felt huge in my hand, but in all fairness, I just held it in the store and have never really used one. Sounds like you have.

I like the 7" tablet, but mostly for reading. I left my kindle (the $79 one) on a plane is the spring so i really just wanted to replace my reader. I tried the kindle fire, but the lack of google support made it a non starter for me. The Galaxy Tab 7 plus is good for that. I would say if you have a 10" tablet then you probably have little need for a 7" tablet.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough. But from a usage case its hard to justify a 7" tablet if you have a 5.3" phone. For me a 4.8" phone, a 7" tablet, a 10" netbook and a 15.6" laptop works. They all have different screen sizes and I have different use cases for each. I thought the Note felt huge in my hand, but in all fairness, I just held it in the store and have never really used one. Sounds like you have.

I like the 7" tablet, but mostly for reading. I left my kindle (the $79 one) on a plane is the spring so i really just wanted to replace my reader. I tried the kindle fire, but the lack of google support made it a non starter for me. The Galaxy Tab 7 plus is good for that. I would say if you have a 10" tablet then you probably have little need for a 7" tablet.

We think alike! I was even surprised when I held the GNote next to the Tab 7, I thought there would not be much differece in the size but the Tab 7 is quite a bit larger from a traveling perspective. Although I like the size of the 7 inch Galaxy Tab I do not know if it is justified to lug all this gear around. I do have an ipad also but do not carry it with me routinely. I am leaning towards the GNote being my wifi device for the road! Are you getting the Nexus 7?

Last edited:

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes I preordered the N7. To be honest, Im not sure its much of an upgrade from my Galaxy Tab 7 plus, but given the price, it was worth getting. I will probably pass my GT7+ down to my college aged son.

Everyone in my family likes when I get new stuff because I am usually passing gently used technology down the family food chain.

TheKISSarmy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for all of your comments - they've really helped as did the pic. I guy at work just got the S3, so I had a chance to check it out for an extended period tonight and was really impressed. Having the S-pen in the Note is a big plus for me & would get lot's of use from me, but the comments about the Note's poor picture quality/lag when watching videos has me concerned b/c I watch a lot of TV shows on Netflix.

Thanks again!

Sent from my once-great G2X!

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
...to me the Note is a massive device albeit I love the size of it. My main issue with it is having to make and receive calls. I only do bluetooth in my car, so having a bluetooth device in my ear, not an option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar