Kies will not recognize my Galaxy SIII

shyrath

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Kies will not recognize my Galaxy S3

Tenjo's remark did the trick in one go....... Thx!

Was having troubles connecting it to kies straight outta the box. Done the following steps and got it working.

Unplug the USB cable from the GS3
go to "Settings" > "Developer Options"
Enable "USB debugging"
Connect the USB cable from the GS3 to the PC
The PC will now install a bunch of drivers automatically
When the drivers have installed, unplug the USB cable from the GS3
go to "Settings" > Developer options"
Disable "USB debugging"
Connect the USB cable from the PC to the GS3

After doing this, the SGS3 connected to Kies..

Took some googl'ing but in the end :) :cool:

Arasin

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Was having troubles connecting it to kies straight outta the box. Done the following steps and got it working.

Enable "USB debugging"
Disable "USB debugging"

After doing this, the SGS3 connected to Kies

100% success rate almost instant connection on 3 different S3's

Great instructions!

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've given up on KIES for the music portion.

I just downloaded iSyncr to my S3 and loaded the iSyncr for Windows 7 to my PC and it is amazing how well it pulls in all the iTunes data I have..playlists, videos etc. PLUS I love how easy it allows you to sync my music to my S3's SD card. KIES constantly loaded my S3 internal memory eating it all up.

V3nton

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

"Unplug the USB cable from the GS3
Enable "USB debugging"
Disable "USB debugging"
Connect the USB cable from the PC to the GS3"

Yes ! It worked for me too thanks !!

gjsa

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

Tenjo's info helped me to get my Galaxy SII to communicate with the Kies program without issue.

Enable "USB debugging"
Disable "USB debugging"

After doing this, the SGS3 connected to Kies

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
There is always hope for those who still have problems, and the problem IS solved by the switch to USB debugging and then turning it off, but you have to be a little careful about what is going on. So, in addition to what was posted above by Tenjo:

First, I will assume that you are running Windows 7 64 bit, since that is the most common these days. Post if you have anything different.

Please do EVERYTHING here, in order, and don't skip any steps "because you already tried this".

So, first up, disconnect your phone from the computer.

Next, run Kies, and make sure the loading screen shows the copyright is through 2012, not 2009. A new version of Kies was released a few days ago. To check, in Kies, you can click on Help, and then "check for update" to make sure or to download the new version. If you install an updated version, if it tells you to reboot the computer at the end, DO IT, don't skip that step. Help and "Kies Information" should read: 2.5.0.12094_28 if you are fully up to date on Kies.

So, you have the latest version of Kies. With the phone still unplugged, the main screen shows the top option of "Connect a device to use all the Kies features", and there is a "button" labeled "Troubleshoot connection Error". That is what you want to do. Click it, and let it update the Kies driver on the machine. At the end, it will probably tell you that you need to reboot for the changes to take effect. DO IT, do not skip that step.

So, you have rebooted, possibly twice now. So, there is something to note for this next step that is somewhat important. When you first connect a device, before Windows 7 even looks on the local computer for drivers, it checks "Windows Update" to see if there is a newer driver. The problem in this case is the driver that Microsoft may try to pull down will override the driver that Kies would be trying to use. The trick then, is when you click to see the driver install status, there is a SMALL thing you can click on that says to skip checking Windows Update. You WANT to skip it, and if you just let it pull down the drivers, who knows what will come down.

So, that is what you need, connect your Galaxy S3, and make sure you skip the Windows Update part of the driver check process for all elements that show up. If it fails, or only one of two or three drivers goes in, unplug once it gets finished, unplug the phone, plug it in, and repeat, again, making sure you skip the Windows Update check for drivers. Now, reboot the computer yet again, just to be sure things are set. This reboot may be the only part of this where you MAY be able to skip.

So, phone still plugged in, fire up Kies, and see if it works. If it works, great, you are set, if it does not, there is still a good chance the next part will do it, and it follows what Tenjo posted.

So, now, it isn't working yet, so unplug the phone, and follow what Tenjo said about settings, developer options, and enable USB debugging.

Once you have enabled USB debugging on the phone and have saved the settings, plug your phone back in to the computer.

You will now get the driver install window again. As before, DO NOT INSTALL DRIVERS FROM WINDOWS UPDATE.

And as before, once it is done installing all the drivers(if you have to unplug from the computer and re-plugging it in to get whatever failed), try running Kies with USB debugging still turned on.

At this point, Kies should be working properly, and you SHOULD notice it connects nice and fast to Kies, no slow check for the phone in Kies.

If Kies is still having problems, either you did not bypass the Windows Update check for drivers, or you have: A bad USB port, try another on the machine, preferably on the other side from the one you have been using, OR, the cable you are using to connect your phone is having a problem. Just because a cable works for charging does not mean it will work for sending data to/from a computer.

If all is working with Kies now, you can unplug from the computer, and turn USB debugging off. Then, connect to the computer again, and it will try installing drivers yet again. As always, DO NOT INSTALL FROM WINDOWS UPDATE.

Once done, plug in, and Kies should be working with the phone NOT in USB debugging mode.

I have been fairly verbose here to let all of this sink in. It may not be as easy to read, but it hopefully gets the point across not to skip steps when trying to deal with this issue. Older versions of Windows from before Windows 7 don't really make use of Windows Update, so many have never had to deal with Windows Update being preferred over a locally installed driver. I hope this helps.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Kies has not worked for me since i bought this phone. I'm convinced that SyncMate is the way to go. With SyncMate, everything works, and the paid version gives you even more options.:D

alonhillel

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i uninstalled the latest update and intalled the previous version 2.5.0.12094_27_11 and it solved the problem. I hope they can fix it going forward.

janadh

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I know its late. I had the same problem. But figured out that if you run Kies in administrative mode, it always work. When you run normally it doesn't connect.
If you are using Windows 7, you can select kies.exe and change the settings permanently.

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Guys, this is spot on. I has nothing to do with the phone. The software is trying to latch into the USB service and when that happens, it has to be running as an admin. They simply haven't coded that in yet so you have to run it as an administrator. You can right click on the icon and go to properties. In there you can permanently set it to run like this.

I had the same problem until I did this and as a Windows programmer, it makes perfect sense.

Isaac frimpong

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

the samething has happen to me, i sold my iphone 4s for galaxy s3 (gt-i9300) and a friend told me the galaxy s3 is not compatible with macbook and i sold that one too for windows laptop
STILL the same problem. and the most annoying thing is no one is coming out for reasonable excuse, "nonsense"

Phil Bowers

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

The 6 or so times KIES won't connect to my Android Galazy SIII I usually get an error message that KIES does not support 2.0 or something like that. I press the connection troubleshooting button (don't remember the actual name), which re-installs the software plus some kind of an update, and each time, it then allows me to backup my Samsung. Was a pain until I determined this re-install workaround. I also backup my Samsung GSIII Wondershre MobileGo. My computer is Windows 7.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

That's fine if Kies doesn't recognize my SGSIII. I don't recognize Kies, because it sucks!!! LOL:p

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

Next, run Kies, and make sure the loading screen shows the copyright is through 2012, not 2009. A new version of Kies was released a few days ago. To check, in Kies, you can click on Help, and then "check for update" to make sure or to download the new version. If you install an updated version, if it tells you to reboot the computer at the end, DO IT, don't skip that step. Help and "Kies Information" should read: 2.5.0.12094_28 if you are fully up to date on Kies.

i uninstalled the latest update and intalled the previous version 2.5.0.12094_27_11 and it solved the problem. I hope they can fix it going forward.

There's an even newer version out, and installing it yesterday and following Targon's instructions resulted in my first ever successful USB Kies connection.

My Kies says its version 2.5.0.12104_15.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

There's an even newer version out, and installing it yesterday and following Targon's instructions resulted in my first ever successful USB Kies connection.

My Kies says its version 2.5.0.12104_15.

The new versions have been showing up recently, I suspect to support all the stuff going on with the Note 2, Rugby Pro, and Jelly Bean for everywhere except those on AT&T, Verizon, US Cellular, and Telstra(in Australia).

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

The new versions have been showing up recently, I suspect to support all the stuff going on with the Note 2, Rugby Pro, and Jelly Bean for everywhere except those on AT&T, Verizon, US Cellular, and Telstra(in Australia).

My Kies shows version: 2.0.0.12113_6 No new updates available. Maybe an update will get to me soon. As of now, i'm using SyncMate, with no problems at all.:)

kr1sta

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

None of these fixes are working for me. I am on Vista and it will just not recognize my GS3. It continuously "installs" the MTP driver while it is plugged in. It always says it is successful, but then almost immediately runs it again. I do not see the option to stop it from looking for the Windows Update driver (is this a difference with Vista?), but I did change the setting in the system properties so that Windows Update should never look for drivers.

Kies recognizes that my phone is the GT-I9300, but then it just keeps saying "connecting"...

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!

Tortacular

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Having the same issues as many of you. I'm brand new to the world of smart phones and I wanted to go high-end. I've been thrilled with everything about my GS3, except this problem. Not being able to pull my music onto my phone is a dealbreaker. I'm running Windows XP SP3, and I also get the "connecting" forever in Kies. Windows also gives me a pop-up that says something about a hardware installation error whenever I connect my GS3 as an MTP, but when I connect it as a camera it works fine. Frust. Rating. I will keep slogging away for now, but I bought my device unlocked and I am already eyeing a Nexus 4 once they're stocked again.