Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    shb

Default Galasy S III I747 (AT&T) vs Galasy SIII i9300

What are the differences between the 2 ? does the i9300 has LTE ?

Default Re: Galasy S III I747 (AT&T) vs Galasy SIII i9300

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Short answer is that no the i9300 does not support LTE.
    Search Galaxy i9300 will get you the wikipedia site (above) for the SII which has the chart comparing the different models

Biggest differences:

I9300
    1GB ram
    quad core exynos processor
    comes in 16/32/64 GB configs
    not LTE, HSPA+ only

i747 (ATT)
    2GB ram
    dual core snapdragon (uses this chip because the LTE is on the chip and does not require the use of another chip for LTE, ie bettery battery life)
    only 16 GB config
    ATT LTE, also I believe Telus and Rogers in Oh Canada

It appears the the Canada version of the i747 comes in more than just 16GB.

How is it that the quadcore in Korea supports LTE?

I saw that today and I dont know. Different frequencies I guess. The post here on AC said that the Korean version of the new LTE equipped was not north american compatible. Mathematically I know that four is twice two, but Im guessing the differences in speed or performance are not noticeable. I may be called a heretic, but I dont see that big of a deal of 4G LTE v 3G. Granted, I use my device mostly for business and dont use it for much media related tasks (except streaming radio stations, sports and baseball games), but all that stuff works fine over 3G. How much faster is my mail going to show up? This morning the internet in my mountain house went out and I listened to the morning news on my phone, streaming on EDGE. It worked just fine.

The i9300 has the Tegra 3 Quad Core processor which supposedly does not play well with LTE yet. Many reports have the Android variant of Linux not being very optimized for multi-core operations and so people don't see much performance improvement going from 2 to 4 cores unless they are gaming and the Tegra 3 has a pretty nice GPU built in. There is a pretty fair difference between 3G and 4G and the difference between 4G and 4G/LTE is suppose to be pretty amazing. 40-50Meg download vs 15-20Meg on plain 4G. There is another thread on this sub-forum where folks post their speed numbers.

Mike

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmmattix View Post
    The i9300 has the Tegra 3 Quad Core processor which supposedly does not play well with LTE yet. Many reports have the Android variant of Linux not being very optimized for multi-core operations and so people don't see much performance improvement going from 2 to 4 cores unless they are gaming and the Tegra 3 has a pretty nice GPU built in. There is a pretty fair difference between 3G and 4G and the difference between 4G and 4G/LTE is suppose to be pretty amazing. 40-50Meg download vs 15-20Meg on plain 4G. There is another thread on this sub-forum where folks post their speed numbers.

Mike
    Not Tegra 3. Exynos.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    shb

thats what I thought the i9300 does not support LTE. the spec from GSMarena says it support LTE regionally, what does it mean ?
    Samsung I9300 Galaxy S3 - Full phone specifications

Quote Originally Posted by shb View Post
    thats what I thought the i9300 does not support LTE. the spec from GSMarena says it support LTE regionally, what does it mean ?
    Samsung I9300 Galaxy S3 - Full phone specifications
    I believe they mean the other regional variants like the AT&T, Sprint or Verizon versions do support LTE. The I9300 is definitely just HSPA+.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 2 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano View Post
    Biggest differences:

I9300
    1GB ram
    quad core exynos processor
    comes in 16/32/64 GB configs
    not LTE, HSPA+ only

i747 (ATT)
    2GB ram
    dual core snapdragon (uses this chip because the LTE is on the chip and does not require the use of another chip for LTE, ie bettery battery life)
    only 16 GB config
    ATT LTE, also I believe Telus and Rogers in Oh Canada

It appears the the Canada version of the i747 comes in more than just 16GB.
    Verified.

I am in Canada, on Koodo (a Telus subsidiary), and LTE works like a dream

To me, the FM antenna/tuner on the I9300 is a big difference. The only way I can listen to live broadcast radio while I am out and about is via LTE through TuneIn which eats data and often drops out when the signal weakens. I have encountered almost no public wi-fi that is capable of adequately delivering a radio data stream. I guess I got spoiled by having an FM antenna/tuner in my lousy old HTC.

The irony is that they left out the FM antenna in favor of space for the LTE antennas on the i747 but the only reason I need LTE is to get live FM radio broadcasts.

which one is better??????