Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Default Re: Touchstone Mod for the S3

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    That seems like a awful lot of trouble to go through just so you don't have to plug a charging cord into your phone. But on the upside, you do earn some bragging rights, so I guess it's all good.
    This sounds like someone who never used a Touchstone.

Touchstone charging, vertical slider keyboard, and multi-tasking via cards ... pretty much the only stuff I miss about my Pre 2.

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    This sounds like someone who never used a Touchstone.

Touchstone charging, vertical slider keyboard, and multi-tasking via cards ... pretty much the only stuff I miss about my Pre 2.
    HA! Indeed, lets see what do I miss about the pre3? Slider keyboard, multitasking via cards, touchstone, a million patches, etc etc.

Dont misunderstand, i love the gs3, lte, all the apps, but this phone with all these apps and webos would have been great. Damn fools, thats what HP is.
    kryptonite_2448 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I have just completed the Mod successfully using only copper tape and electrical tape.

NO SOLDERING.

I would recommend also reading this thread for reference

I would Recommend watching these videos
    Click to view quoted video

and the video posted above

this method i think produces the least bulk to the back case.

I can confirm that is does not work with casemate pop with stand for the S3

hope this helps
    Question for you...in the video, ohiomoto solders the touchstone contacts to the copper tape in order to get enough current to charge the phone. How were you able to do it without solder?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
    Question for you...in the video, ohiomoto solders the touchstone contacts to the copper tape in order to get enough current to charge the phone. How were you able to do it without solder?
    frankly my set up has not been that reliable. It stops in the middle of the charge sometimes. I was hoping to do away with the soldering and just use the tape. I have tried to fold the copper tape to make it thicker in the contacts just to get more current. I don't have the instrument to measure current so it trial and error for me.

thanks for pointing the soldering part. I might end up soldering that part. I am going to update my post but I am still looking for a way without soldering.

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

frankly my set up has not been that reliable. It stops in the middle of the charge sometimes. I was hoping to do away with the soldering and just use the tape. I have tried to fold the copper tape to make it thicker in the contacts just to get more current. I don't have the instrument to measure current so it trial and error for me.

thanks for pointing the soldering part. I might end up soldering that part. I am going to update my post but I am still looking for a way without soldering.
    I think that I'll need to do it too... the connections on the back are where it's failing for me. If I push down on the contacts, it works perfectly. I'm going to keep playing with it it see if I can get it going, but a bit of solder looks to be the best answer at the moment...

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

It's ALIVE!!

R.I.P. to the poor Palm Pixi, which I cannibalized to get it working...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Touchstone Mod for the S3-uploadfromtaptalk1342994740025.jpg  
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

updated my post

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

How were you able to do it without solder?
    I ran into the same problem. The glue on the copper tape does not transfer the electric current, but without glue the tape does not stick to the coil contacts.

I solved up folding the tape several times, adhesive side inside, and putting a small piece of foam rubber on top. The pressure from the phone's battery cover keeps the tape firmly pressed against the coil contacts.

Looks like I may need to learn how to solder to make this work. Not a bad skill, I suppose; I found this site that seems to give a good tutorial (thanks to Lifehacker). From what I've read here, I can probably just solder the Touchstone coil side and try electrical tape to press the wires against the Galaxy S3 side. Will ponder and report on my progress if I attempt this. {Jonathan, with more Touchstones lying around than you could possibly believe}
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

It's ALIVE!!

R.I.P. to the poor Palm Pixi, which I cannibalized to get it working...

for the palm Pixi, is the polarity also the other way around With the ones at the back of the s3? Like the pre's?

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

for the palm Pixi, is the polarity also the other way around With the ones at the back of the s3? Like the pre's?
    Yep, it's the same.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Yep, it's the same.

No it's not - they are flipped on the pixi to match the polarity on the galaxy s3 contact points (top to top and bottom to bottom). If you use a Pre back you have to connect the top to the bottom and the bottom one to the top.

Anyone doing this mod - I'd highly recommend it, well worth the small price of copper tape ($1), upgraded magnets ($8 optional), palm pixi/pre back ($5 if you don't already have one), and the touchstone itself ($4 x 2 = $8 cuz you'll regret not getting like 20 of them lol). It's by far the best $20 bucks IMO you could spend for your phone (ie accessories, cases, headsets, etc).

And FYI no solder was used and it's maintained connection, instantly, and every single time in the past 3 days of me doing this mod. Thanks to those who determined this was possible and posting links to helpful videos/tutorials of similar projects on different phones. Here are some pics of my finished install (the gap between the touchpoints on the phone itself appear to be closer than they really are):

Last edited by k007; 07-25-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: pics attached
    Thanked by:
    scobb 

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by k007 View Post
    No it's not - they are flipped on the pixi to match the polarity on the galaxy s3 contact points (top to top and bottom to bottom). If you use a Pre back you have to connect the top to the bottom and the bottom one to the top.

Anyone doing this mod - I'd highly recommend it, well worth the small price of copper tape ($1), upgraded magnets ($8 optional), palm pixi/pre back ($5 if you don't already have one), and the touchstone itself ($4 x 2 = $8 cuz you'll regret not getting like 20 of them lol). It's by far the best $20 bucks IMO you could spend for your phone (ie accessories, cases, headsets, etc).

And FYI no solder was used and it's maintained connection, instantly, and every single time in the past 3 days of me doing this mod. Thanks to those who determined this was possible and posting links to helpful videos/tutorials of similar projects on different phones. Here are some pics of my finished install (the gap between the touchpoints on the phone itself appear to be closer than they really are):

Click to view quoted image

Pulled mine off of a Pixi back, and they were flipped.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

"Dock" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...riousapps.dock plus plug in launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...auncher.plugin = android exhibition mode in touchstone!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

"Dock" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...riousapps.dock plus plug in launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...auncher.plugin = android exhibition mode in touchstone!

Thanks for posting that launcher link - I've been wondering how to setup auto-docking when I place it on the touchstone....I've got it set to launch the clock and to by-pass the security pin when a charge is detected and it works perfect!!

Just joined androidcentral. The GS3 is my first android. I was nursing a Sprint Palm Pre- since launch up until I got the GS3.

I did this mod, too. Just to echo some of the thoughts (took me a couple tries to get it to work). I used copper tape (from my stained glass supplies, not sure where else you can get it), one continuous strip for each contact, folded over on itself at the coil contact and then double bent to form a 90 degree turn with the adhesive still down. I had to put a little "shim" of folded electrical tape over the connections at the coil to makes sure they were making good contact.

I had some issues with getting a contact with the recessed terminals on the phone. The solution I came up with was to use a couple of tiny copper springs that sit over the contacts and push onto the foil tape. I got the springs from an old Tyco slot car set. They are extra tiny (lost a couple in the process of getting them on), but once I got them on, it worked flawlessly. It will be a bit of a trick to not lose them if I need to open the back, but I'll just be careful.

No soldering at all on any parts, so the phone is easily reset to stock. A small bump on the back to show me it's there, and I can use my Pre's Touchstones for my new phone!

Sorry I didn't take any pics when I was assembling it, but they would look very similar to what has already been posted.
    Thanked by:

This mod is working great for me at home and in the car.

NO SOLDERING here either. I also cannibalized the wires from an old USB charger, which are even black and red color coded, nice. I did a little test last night and got over 20% charge in 30 minutes.

Try a Cut Out for Touchstone with a TPC Case;
    I want to protect my phone at all times, and use a clear TPC case. The touchstone will actually charge through this TPC S case from ebay, but it could more easily slide off the touchstone. Using my car dock, I had to take the phone in or out of the case. No more! I traced and made a cutout for the touchstone with a sharpie and exacto knife so that I can keep the case on while charging. Ok, my cutting wasn't super neat, but it works great. This has the added benefits of the case cutout creating a lip for the touchstone to rest on that makes it painfree to find a positive contact point for charging and doesn't require as much magnetic attraction to keep the touchstone in place. This especially helps in a vertical mount position as in my car. See the pics!

[IMG] Shot at 2012-08-03[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by rinkeedink; 08-03-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Thanked by 3:
    pcorlatan likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

After more than a few weeks I have been charging exclusively using the touchstone it has held up.

I was sporting a carbon fiber skin on my s3 for most of the time. It looked ugly so I changed it to a transparent one. I noticed that my s3 holds on to the touchstone a lot more!

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

I wondering the new back cover for the wireless dock of Samsung will work with the touchstone?

Global Posts
    699 Global Posts

Finally got mine working - I was trying to do it un-soldered (since I've never really soldered before), but I finally broke down and broke out the soldering gun. Here's a few things that I have discovered:

1 - The best wire I have found is a single copper wire from telephone strand. I tried using the wire from an old pair of earbuds, but those are woven strands and for some reason wouldn't carry the current (5.5). The only thing that worked for me was the bigger single strand.

2 - If possible, solder the wire to the coil leads BEFORE attaching it to the back of your S3. The reason for this is that you need a lot of heat to get a good connection, and it started to warp/melt my S3 back. I caught it in time, but that could have been a problem!

3 - I did not solder the wires to the phone connectors itself (the ones in the back), because I want to be able to get the back on and off to change SD cards, batteries, etc. I put a ball of solder on the end of the wires so that they would make a solid connection.

4 - Use some electrical tape to hold things in place - once the back is on, there shouldn't be much room to wiggle, but before I got the back on there was a lot of play and it kept making one of the solder connections to the coil come loose.

If you want pictures I could try to take some - I am just reluctant to take it apart now that I have it working!

FWIW, I had no significant trouble using stranded copper wire from an old USB charging cable WITHOUT SOLDERING .

I just had to ball up the ends of each wire into a little tight nodule that would fit in the charging port recesses on the back of the S3 and run the wires to the terminals on the inductive coil from the Pre. It just took a bit of fenagling and patience taping the balled up wire ends down tightly on the Pre terminals. I even added a few extra layers of electrical tape on the top of the Pre terminals to create a shim so the back would press against the S3 body, ensuring a tight connection on that end. With a large enough nodule in the S3 terminals, and the rest of the wires tightly taped down, there is no concern about losing a connection when the back is in place, and soldering is not needed.

If you think about it, it make sense that soldering wouldnt be required because the inductive backs for the Pre are removable and work only by contact, as do the terminals on the S3.
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 08-05-2012 at 04:58 PM.

ack, both of you are confusing me whether its flipped or not on the pixi. i have like 3 pixi touchstone covers. If i do the reverse polarity by mistake will i mess up my s3??

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

Ok, I'm a little late jumping on this bandwagon, but I've decided to try and do this mod today. I just had one question (if you're still even checking this thread!) about that first picture that you posted - you said you did no soldering, so I'm assuming that the copper that's on the GS3 body is copper tape. What'd you do there exactly? Push some copper tape down around the connectors to make it a more protuberant connector? I haven't the first clue how to solder something (although the link Jonathan posted was very informative), I don't have or want to buy a soldering iron, and I'm really hoping I can make this work without having to do any of that. Are you still finding that your connection is maintaining and it's charging well without soldering? Thanks!

Global Posts
    1,034 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    ack, both of you are confusing me whether its flipped or not on the pixi. i have like 3 pixi touchstone covers. If i do the reverse polarity by mistake will i mess up my s3??
    No, it just won't charge.

Just try them first; if it doesn't work just flip them. On the S3, the top it positive and the bottom is negative for sure, so the only guessing is on the back; mine might very well have been a fluke.

I wondering the new back cover for the wireless dock of Samsung will work with the touchstone?
    It will not
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast