Touchstone Mod for the S3

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Anybody did this mod for their new phone?

I am contemplating on doing this but I want to see a consensus here :)

I have been seeing tutorials for the galaxy nexus but none for the S3

Anyone have a tutorial link for our phone? Preferably the one that does not need soldering.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

bumpysig

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I actually did it last week. It was fairly easy and no tutorial was really needed. Just pull the inductive charger from the Palm back and center it in the back of the S3. Then run a couple of wires so that they meet up with the charging contacts. The poles are flipped so you'll have to adjust the wires for that. Currently mine is just taped in but it works just fine.

Reactions: rinkeedink

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
You'll have to do a search for it but there was a thread in the general GS3 forum about it. Back cover even fit on flush and everything.

I just wasn't crazy about the idea of soldering my new phone

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering about the positioning of the magnets. Since the s3 is llonger than the pre, don't you position it lower on the case? So it sits higher on the touchstone and not be touching the table?

bumpysig

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering about the positioning of the magnets. Since the s3 is llonger than the pre, don't you position it lower on the case? So it sits higher on the touchstone and not be touching the table?

That's true if you are going for a portrait docking position. I centered mine because I dock it in landscape (I'm using Nova Launcher so it auto-rotates on the home-screen). Just adjust it for whatever you prefer.

Reactions: johnj2803

asics10

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you solder the wires on the palm connectors? Also, how did you attach the wires to the gs3 if you didn't solder?
Thanks.

bumpysig

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Bear with me as I try to explain it. That first piece of tape has the wires held in place over the Palm connectors, they are properly separated. The ends of the wires that meet up with the S III are balled up so that when the back is placed on the phone they are pressed into the recess for the connectors. The second piece of tape helps to hold the wires in place. This allows the cover to be popped on and off easily. So, in conclusion, patience and tape with a little forethought.

Last edited:
Reactions: rinkeedink

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm missing what's accomplished by doing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm missing what's accomplished by doing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

You can wirelessly charge your Galaxy S III on a Palm Touchstone charger.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqP3T_Mbzg[/YT]

Palm really was ahead of its time on this one. RIP webOS * pours one out *

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have just completed the Mod successfully using only copper tape and electrical tape.

NO SOLDERING.

I would recommend also reading this thread for reference

I would Recommend watching these videos
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ga4N_Ih9GE[/YT]

and the video posted above
[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqP3T_Mbzg&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

this method i think produces the least bulk to the back case.

I can confirm that is does not work with casemate pop with stand for the S3

hope this helps

just to update my post

the copper tape adhesive I have used does not work reliably, the adhesive is not enough make the tape adhere to the contact points from the coil. Electrical tape does not stabilize it enough. Couldn't find a way to make it stay. My charging would go on and off sometimes.

I soldered the copper tape to the contacts of the coil. Note that the soldering parting not on the phone itself but the part you removed from the back cover of the webOS device I used.

also, I think it is better to use one continuous strip of copper tape.

Last edited:

asics10

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I did this today using pixi parts, they are very slim. I didn't solder anything. Just some electrical tape and careful placement of the wires.

Getting stronger magnets would have helped cause the s3 is much larger when sitting on the touchstone than the palm phones were.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm just about ready to try this. Question: is there a particular type of wire that is needed, or just any typical insulated wire? {Jonathan, not particularly savvy about things electrical}

bumpysig

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm just about ready to try this. Question: is there a particular type of wire that is needed, or just any typical insulated wire? {Jonathan, not particularly savvy about things electrical}

I did mine quick and dirty with insulated wire. johnj2803 used copper tape. As long as the lines are kept separate you can go either way you choose.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering about the positioning of the magnets. Since the s3 is longer than the pre, don't you position it lower on the case? So it sits higher on the touchstone and not be touching the table?

I think I'm going to try to position the it closer to the middle, and use larger rubber washers (or maybe some Sugru) to raise the Touchstone. That way I can have the phone sitting in portrait or landscape. :cool:

dentz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It took a bit of extra pressure on the connectors so that they always make contact but I have it up and running. Long live the Touchstone!!!

gkamer

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That seems like a awful lot of trouble to go through just so you don't have to plug a charging cord into your phone. But on the upside, you do earn some bragging rights, so I guess it's all good.:D

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
wonder if they TSA would strip search you if you ran that through their scanners? :)

I was wondering about when Samsung would release their wireless charger too...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad