Touchstone Mod for the S3

bumpysig

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
wonder if they TSA would strip search you if you ran that through their scanners? :)

I was wondering about when Samsung would release their wireless charger too...

I'll just try to beat them to it. (Go with NSFW to be safe)

As for the charger it is delayed until the fall. Which at this point may only be two months but that is still two months ahead of the curve.

Last edited:

wilder_jw

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
That seems like a awful lot of trouble to go through just so you don't have to plug a charging cord into your phone. But on the upside, you do earn some bragging rights, so I guess it's all good.
This sounds like someone who never used a Touchstone.

Touchstone charging, vertical slider keyboard, and multi-tasking via cards ... pretty much the only stuff I miss about my Pre 2.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
This sounds like someone who never used a Touchstone.

Touchstone charging, vertical slider keyboard, and multi-tasking via cards ... pretty much the only stuff I miss about my Pre 2.

HA! Indeed, lets see what do I miss about the pre3? Slider keyboard, multitasking via cards, touchstone, a million patches, etc etc.

Dont misunderstand, i love the gs3, lte, all the apps, but this phone with all these apps and webos would have been great. Damn fools, thats what HP is.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have just completed the Mod successfully using only copper tape and electrical tape.

NO SOLDERING.

I would recommend also reading this thread for reference

I would Recommend watching these videos
Click to view quoted video

and the video posted above
Click to view quoted video

this method i think produces the least bulk to the back case.

I can confirm that is does not work with casemate pop with stand for the S3

hope this helps

Question for you...in the video, ohiomoto solders the touchstone contacts to the copper tape in order to get enough current to charge the phone. How were you able to do it without solder?

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Question for you...in the video, ohiomoto solders the touchstone contacts to the copper tape in order to get enough current to charge the phone. How were you able to do it without solder?

frankly my set up has not been that reliable. It stops in the middle of the charge sometimes. I was hoping to do away with the soldering and just use the tape. I have tried to fold the copper tape to make it thicker in the contacts just to get more current. I don't have the instrument to measure current so it trial and error for me.

thanks for pointing the soldering part. I might end up soldering that part. I am going to update my post but I am still looking for a way without soldering.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
frankly my set up has not been that reliable. It stops in the middle of the charge sometimes. I was hoping to do away with the soldering and just use the tape. I have tried to fold the copper tape to make it thicker in the contacts just to get more current. I don't have the instrument to measure current so it trial and error for me.

thanks for pointing the soldering part. I might end up soldering that part. I am going to update my post but I am still looking for a way without soldering.

I think that I'll need to do it too... the connections on the back are where it's failing for me. If I push down on the contacts, it works perfectly. I'm going to keep playing with it it see if I can get it going, but a bit of solder looks to be the best answer at the moment...

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
It's ALIVE!!

R.I.P. to the poor Palm Pixi, which I cannibalized to get it working...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

kruglovus

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
How were you able to do it without solder?
I ran into the same problem. The glue on the copper tape does not transfer the electric current, but without glue the tape does not stick to the coil contacts.

I solved up folding the tape several times, adhesive side inside, and putting a small piece of foam rubber on top. The pressure from the phone's battery cover keeps the tape firmly pressed against the coil contacts.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I may need to learn how to solder to make this work. Not a bad skill, I suppose; I found this site that seems to give a good tutorial (thanks to Lifehacker). From what I've read here, I can probably just solder the Touchstone coil side and try electrical tape to press the wires against the Galaxy SIII side. Will ponder and report on my progress if I attempt this. {Jonathan, with more Touchstones lying around than you could possibly believe}

bimmer007

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep, it's the same.

No it's not - they are flipped on the pixi to match the polarity on the galaxy s3 contact points (top to top and bottom to bottom). If you use a Pre back you have to connect the top to the bottom and the bottom one to the top.

Anyone doing this mod - I'd highly recommend it, well worth the small price of copper tape ($1), upgraded magnets ($8 optional), palm pixi/pre back ($5 if you don't already have one), and the touchstone itself ($4 x 2 = $8 cuz you'll regret not getting like 20 of them lol). It's by far the best $20 bucks IMO you could spend for your phone (ie accessories, cases, headsets, etc).

And FYI no solder was used and it's maintained connection, instantly, and every single time in the past 3 days of me doing this mod. Thanks to those who determined this was possible and posting links to helpful videos/tutorials of similar projects on different phones. Here are some pics of my finished install (the gap between the touchpoints on the phone itself appear to be closer than they really are):

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
No it's not - they are flipped on the pixi to match the polarity on the galaxy s3 contact points (top to top and bottom to bottom). If you use a Pre back you have to connect the top to the bottom and the bottom one to the top.

Anyone doing this mod - I'd highly recommend it, well worth the small price of copper tape ($1), upgraded magnets ($8 optional), palm pixi/pre back ($5 if you don't already have one), and the touchstone itself ($4 x 2 = $8 cuz you'll regret not getting like 20 of them lol). It's by far the best $20 bucks IMO you could spend for your phone (ie accessories, cases, headsets, etc).

And FYI no solder was used and it's maintained connection, instantly, and every single time in the past 3 days of me doing this mod. Thanks to those who determined this was possible and posting links to helpful videos/tutorials of similar projects on different phones. Here are some pics of my finished install (the gap between the touchpoints on the phone itself appear to be closer than they really are):

[URL=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/7unmp.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/url]
[URL=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/rlg43.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/url]
[URL=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/6x7gl.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/url]

Pulled mine off of a Pixi back, and they were flipped. :confused:

bimmer007

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
"Dock" - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.ingloriousapps.dock&token=FTeOzzFx plus plug in launcher https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.launcher.plugin&token=TZjkVckV = android exhibition mode in touchstone!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

Thanks for posting that launcher link - I've been wondering how to setup auto-docking when I place it on the touchstone....I've got it set to launch the clock and to by-pass the security pin when a charge is detected and it works perfect!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2