Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Touchstone Mod for the S3

Anybody did this mod for their new phone?

I am contemplating on doing this but I want to see a consensus here

I have been seeing tutorials for the galaxy nexus but none for the S3

Anyone have a tutorial link for our phone? Preferably the one that does not need soldering.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

Default Re: Touchstone Mod for the S3

I actually did it last week. It was fairly easy and no tutorial was really needed. Just pull the inductive charger from the Palm back and center it in the back of the S3. Then run a couple of wires so that they meet up with the charging contacts. The poles are flipped so you'll have to adjust the wires for that. Currently mine is just taped in but it works just fine.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts

You'll have to do a search for it but there was a thread in the general GS3 forum about it. Back cover even fit on flush and everything.

I just wasn't crazy about the idea of soldering my new phone
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

i saw some guy just using copper tape. I am not soldering on mine.

@bumpysig can you post a picture of yours?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    i saw some guy just using copper tape. I am not soldering on mine.

@bumpysig can you post a picture of yours?
    No problem. It looks a little rough (my girlfriend claims that it looks like a bomb) but it works just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Touchstone Mod for the S3-20120708_085905.jpg   Touchstone Mod for the S3-20120708_085858.jpg   Touchstone Mod for the S3-20120708_085851.jpg  
    Last edited by bumpysig; 07-08-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added Info
    Thanked by 2:
    sledge007 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I was wondering about the positioning of the magnets. Since the s3 is llonger than the pre, don't you position it lower on the case? So it sits higher on the touchstone and not be touching the table?

I was wondering about the positioning of the magnets. Since the s3 is llonger than the pre, don't you position it lower on the case? So it sits higher on the touchstone and not be touching the table?

That's true if you are going for a portrait docking position. I centered mine because I dock it in landscape (I'm using Nova Launcher so it auto-rotates on the home-screen). Just adjust it for whatever you prefer.
    Thanked by:

Did you solder the wires on the palm connectors? Also, how did you attach the wires to the gs3 if you didn't solder?
    Thanks.

Bear with me as I try to explain it. That first piece of tape has the wires held in place over the Palm connectors, they are properly separated. The ends of the wires that meet up with the S III are balled up so that when the back is placed on the phone they are pressed into the recess for the connectors. The second piece of tape helps to hold the wires in place. This allows the cover to be popped on and off easily. So, in conclusion, patience and tape with a little forethought.
    Last edited by bumpysig; 07-08-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

I'm missing what's accomplished by doing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 20blks View Post
    I'm missing what's accomplished by doing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    You can wirelessly charge your Galaxy S3 on a Palm Touchstone charger.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqP3T_Mbzg[/YT]

Palm really was ahead of its time on this one. RIP webOS * pours one out *
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I have just completed the Mod successfully using only copper tape and electrical tape.

NO SOLDERING.

I would recommend also reading this thread for reference

I would Recommend watching these videos
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ga4N_Ih9GE[/YT]

and the video posted above
    [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAqP3T_Mbzg&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

this method i think produces the least bulk to the back case.

I can confirm that is does not work with

hope this helps

just to update my post

the copper tape adhesive I have used does not work reliably, the adhesive is not enough make the tape adhere to the contact points from the coil. Electrical tape does not stabilize it enough. Couldn't find a way to make it stay. My charging would go on and off sometimes.

I soldered the copper tape to the contacts of the coil. Note that the soldering parting not on the phone itself but the part you removed from the back cover of the webOS device I used.

also, I think it is better to use one continuous strip of copper tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Touchstone Mod for the S3-touchstone-mod.001.jpg   Touchstone Mod for the S3-touchstone-mod.002.jpg   Touchstone Mod for the S3-touchstone-mod.003.jpg   Touchstone Mod for the S3-touchstone-mod.004.jpg   Touchstone Mod for the S3-touchstone-mod.005.jpg  

Last edited by johnj2803; 07-23-2012 at 05:55 PM.

I did this today using pixi parts, they are very slim. I didn't solder anything. Just some electrical tape and careful placement of the wires.

Getting stronger magnets would have helped cause the s3 is much larger when sitting on the touchstone than the palm phones were.
    Thanked by:
    pcorlatan likes this.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

I used these magnets on Palm Pre extended battery case, HTC EVO, and Samsung Epic. You can use 2 magnets side by side in place of 1 metal disk. Neither of these phones, placed almost vertically, ever fell off the Touchstone in the car. Enjoy!
    Thanked by 2:

I'm just about ready to try this. Question: is there a particular type of wire that is needed, or just any typical insulated wire? {Jonathan, not particularly savvy about things electrical}

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I'm just about ready to try this. Question: is there a particular type of wire that is needed, or just any typical insulated wire? {Jonathan, not particularly savvy about things electrical}
    I did mine quick and dirty with insulated wire. johnj2803 used copper tape. As long as the lines are kept separate you can go either way you choose.

Global Posts
    1,031 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

I was wondering about the positioning of the magnets. Since the s3 is longer than the pre, don't you position it lower on the case? So it sits higher on the touchstone and not be touching the table?

I think I'm going to try to position the it closer to the middle, and use larger rubber washers (or maybe some Sugru) to raise the Touchstone. That way I can have the phone sitting in portrait or landscape.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

It took a bit of extra pressure on the connectors so that they always make contact but I have it up and running. Long live the Touchstone!!!

That seems like a awful lot of trouble to go through just so you don't have to plug a charging cord into your phone. But on the upside, you do earn some bragging rights, so I guess it's all good.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

wonder if they TSA would strip search you if you ran that through their scanners?

I was wondering about when Samsung would release their wireless charger too...

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    wonder if they TSA would strip search you if you ran that through their scanners?

I was wondering about when Samsung would release their wireless charger too...
    I'll just try to them to it. (Go with NSFW to be safe)

As for the charger it is until the fall. Which at this point may only be two months but that is still two months ahead of the curve.
    Last edited by bumpysig; 07-20-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Does NFC still work with the TS coil right on top of the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    Does NFC still work with the TS coil right on top of the battery?
    I've been able to use beam with no issues.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,031 Global Posts
    ROM
    SwampMonster V1.0!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bumpysig View Post
    No problem. It looks a little rough (my girlfriend claims that it looks like a bomb) but it works just fine.
    What type/gauge wire did you end up using?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Louie View Post
    What type/gauge wire did you end up using?
    I cannibalized some wire from an old usb charger. Rough but effective.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast