How can I set individual notification alerts?

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy S3 yesterday, and coming from an iPhone it's taking a little bit to get used to. I am trying to figure out how to set a different notification tone for text messages for different people. I downloaded Ringeo but it plays my standard tone before each person. The only work around I can find is turning off the tone and then using Ringeo to assign a tone to each person. For my 400 contacts, this is going to be a pain. Not to mention that it shuts off the notification tone for other apps.

Can anyone help with this?

fmagana85

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I use CustomSMSTones. You have to turn off notifications under your main phone settings, otherwise, you will hear that tone and the custom tone together, but CustomSMSTones allows you to set up "General" settings which you set a tone for all contacts, and then set up individual tones for individual contacts.

Since you have to turn off the notification tone under the main phone settings, you then have to make sure that other apps like Facebook, Twitter, etc. are all setup under their own settings with thier own notification sound.

I'm really happy using CutomSMSTones, and I use Zedge to download cool tones like Zelda sounds and stuff.

Reactions: fireidiot

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If you go into contacts, touch on a contacts name and scroll to the bottom you can assign a ringtone for that contact.

Screenshot_2012-07-07-20-29-40.png

You can also assign a custom vibration

edit: Wait I just realized you meant text not calls

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention that it shuts off the notification tone for other apps.

Can anyone help with this?

Cant help with your entire problem but you can shut off the notification tone for SMS in the setting options for the messaging app itself without affecting the default notification tone for other apps that use it.

Superstarzchef

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've the same issue. And I've a significant amount more than 400 contacts. How can set a notification for each different app such as; GMail, yahoo mail, hotmail, SMS, facebook, YouTube. I understand about setting "individual" alerts (ie.; personal ringtones for each contact) yet what is the work around for each app? Thanks!

akapone

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
in the settings on the main page of each app you can change the default notification sound, for email you need to click on each account to assign a tone.

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
With all the gimmicks built into the S3, why would something so simple as being able to assign specific sms alert tones for contacts not be there? Custom ring tones are nice, but I am far more likely to be texted than called, and I would think that would be true for many of us. In any case, the Custom SMS Tones app is simple and works well. I also like SMSPopup for accomplishing this, with other nice customizations available as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

WIGuru

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Please excuse an Android newbie (I've been a BB user for the past 10 years)...

I love my new Galaxy, but along the lines of this thread, I'm wondering whether I can duplicate what the BB has called a Priority 1 group.
For example, the Galaxy easily lets me add family members to a "Family" group, co-workers to a "Co-worker" group, etc.
What I would like to be able to do is keep the phone by default on mute for ALL notifications - SMS, email, etc, with the exception of say members of the "Family" group - which I would like to vibrate (I do not want any ringtone, since I'm in meetings a good part of the day).

Am I able to do that? If so, can someone assist?

Thanks in advance.

Da burglar

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Really sad that everyone keeps quoting ' download this app' as though this solves your problem. Do any of you read the permissions you allow. For example go to apps store and search, eg, 'go sms pro'........it's free!!!!!!!! wow.. now read the permissions tab and see what you allow these apps to intrude into you privacy and what they can charge you for or use your phone for. For example if you save a credit card passcode as a contact, like some people do, with the permissions you allow they have freedom to access this. Now they only need to get your card number with an upgrade for a small amount , then they have freedom to abuse you credit/debit card. They can view you contacts/ photos etc........nothing is free these days, so remember 'caveat emptor' and take caution when using apps, especially the free one's.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
With the new JB update it allows this option to assign a message tone to a contact as well as a ringtone.
But for me it does t work. I don't know why but it is bugging the hell out of me

Terry Lyons

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
go to the google apps store(I have a droid)type in contact sms ringtones.Ringo:ringtones&text tones lets you assign each contact their own text alert tones.Pretty cool!:)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Really sad that everyone keeps quoting ' download this app' as though this solves your problem. Do any of you read the permissions you allow. For example go to apps store and search, eg, 'go sms pro'........it's free!!!!!!!! wow.. now read the permissions tab and see what you allow these apps to intrude into you privacy and what they can charge you for or use your phone for. For example if you save a credit card passcode as a contact, like some people do, with the permissions you allow they have freedom to access this. Now they only need to get your card number with an upgrade for a small amount , then they have freedom to abuse you credit/debit card. They can view you contacts/ photos etc........nothing is free these days, so remember 'caveat emptor' and take caution when using apps, especially the free one's.

Paranoia is a wonderful thing.

Think about it: how would it be possible to create a text message app the DOESN'T have access to your contacts? Or all the characters you type into a text message with the keyboard? The "services that cost you money" is there because not everyone has unlimited texting. The stock SMS app has all the same permissions, It can't work without them. Are you worried that Samsung is going to steal your card info? Heck, your carrier has access to every piece of data your phone sends or receives. Maybe you'd better not use data at all!

Oh, BTW, if you store any credit card info in free text on your phone you deserve whatever happens. Might as well post it in the window of your car.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
In every app settings there are notification settings which allows you to set individual sounds

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Declan Donnan

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
It is really very simple. You just need to save your contacts to the phone itself (from sim card)

Then once you click on each contact there is an option to assign ringtone

:)

Stacie84

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My question is similar to these, I am currently using Handcent, I really only use it because I like that I can customize the text message sound AND notification icon (different colors for different people) for each contact. I want to know if there is an app that I can download, that ONLY lets me change the sound and notification Icon color for individual people without having to download a whole SMS app. I am currently using the Evo 4G but I will be upgrading to the S4 in May...

Does anyone have anything that can help me????

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't know of an app, but you probably won't need one with the S4. The latest S3 update, to 4.1.2, allows you to set individual notification tones for messages directly in the contacts app. That doesn't address the icon color, though.