Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How can I set individual notification alerts?

I just got a Galaxy S3 yesterday, and coming from an iPhone it's taking a little bit to get used to. I am trying to figure out how to set a different notification tone for text messages for different people. I downloaded Ringeo but it plays my standard tone before each person. The only work around I can find is turning off the tone and then using Ringeo to assign a tone to each person. For my 400 contacts, this is going to be a pain. Not to mention that it shuts off the notification tone for other apps.

Can anyone help with this?

Default Re: How can I set individual notification alerts?

I use CustomSMSTones. You have to turn off notifications under your main phone settings, otherwise, you will hear that tone and the custom tone together, but CustomSMSTones allows you to set up "General" settings which you set a tone for all contacts, and then set up individual tones for individual contacts.

Since you have to turn off the notification tone under the main phone settings, you then have to make sure that other apps like Facebook, Twitter, etc. are all setup under their own settings with thier own notification sound.

I'm really happy using CutomSMSTones, and I use Zedge to download cool tones like Zelda sounds and stuff.
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Global Posts
    893 Global Posts

If you go into contacts, touch on a contacts name and scroll to the bottom you can assign a ringtone for that contact.

You can also assign a custom vibration

edit: Wait I just realized you meant text not calls
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by fireidiot View Post
    Not to mention that it shuts off the notification tone for other apps.

Can anyone help with this?
    Cant help with your entire problem but you can shut off the notification tone for SMS in the setting options for the messaging app itself without affecting the default notification tone for other apps that use it.

I've the same issue. And I've a significant amount more than 400 contacts. How can set a notification for each different app such as; GMail, yahoo mail, hotmail, SMS, facebook, YouTube. I understand about setting "individual" alerts (ie.; personal ringtones for each contact) yet what is the work around for each app? Thanks!

in the settings on the main page of each app you can change the default notification sound, for email you need to click on each account to assign a tone.
    Thanked by 2:
    sergioq likes this.

With all the gimmicks built into the S3, why would something so simple as being able to assign specific sms alert tones for contacts not be there? Custom ring tones are nice, but I am far more likely to be texted than called, and I would think that would be true for many of us. In any case, the Custom SMS Tones app is simple and works well. I also like SMSPopup for accomplishing this, with other nice customizations available as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    david ryno likes this.

Please excuse an Android newbie (I've been a BB user for the past 10 years)...

I love my new Galaxy, but along the lines of this thread, I'm wondering whether I can duplicate what the BB has called a Priority 1 group.
    For example, the Galaxy easily lets me add family members to a "Family" group, co-workers to a "Co-worker" group, etc.
    What I would like to be able to do is keep the phone by default on mute for ALL notifications - SMS, email, etc, with the exception of say members of the "Family" group - which I would like to vibrate (I do not want any ringtone, since I'm in meetings a good part of the day).

Am I able to do that? If so, can someone assist?

Thanks in advance.

Really sad that everyone keeps quoting ' download this app' as though this solves your problem. Do any of you read the permissions you allow. For example go to apps store and search, eg, 'go sms pro'........it's free!!!!!!!! wow.. now read the permissions tab and see what you allow these apps to intrude into you privacy and what they can charge you for or use your phone for. For example if you save a credit card passcode as a contact, like some people do, with the permissions you allow they have freedom to access this. Now they only need to get your card number with an upgrade for a small amount , then they have freedom to abuse you credit/debit card. They can view you contacts/ photos etc........nothing is free these days, so remember 'caveat emptor' and take caution when using apps, especially the free one's.

With the new JB update it allows this option to assign a message tone to a contact as well as a ringtone.
    But for me it does t work. I don't know why but it is bugging the hell out of me

move your file to the notification folder Booya. reviving the dead post.
    Thanked by:

go to the google apps store(I have a droid)type in contact sms ringtones.Ringo:ringtones&text tones lets you assign each contact their own text alert tones.Pretty cool!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Da burglar View Post
    Really sad that everyone keeps quoting ' download this app' as though this solves your problem. Do any of you read the permissions you allow. For example go to apps store and search, eg, 'go sms pro'........it's free!!!!!!!! wow.. now read the permissions tab and see what you allow these apps to intrude into you privacy and what they can charge you for or use your phone for. For example if you save a credit card passcode as a contact, like some people do, with the permissions you allow they have freedom to access this. Now they only need to get your card number with an upgrade for a small amount , then they have freedom to abuse you credit/debit card. They can view you contacts/ photos etc........nothing is free these days, so remember 'caveat emptor' and take caution when using apps, especially the free one's.
    Paranoia is a wonderful thing.

Think about it: how would it be possible to create a text message app the DOESN'T have access to your contacts? Or all the characters you type into a text message with the keyboard? The "services that cost you money" is there because not everyone has unlimited texting. The stock SMS app has all the same permissions, It can't work without them. Are you worried that Samsung is going to steal your card info? Heck, your carrier has access to every piece of data your phone sends or receives. Maybe you'd better not use data at all!

Oh, BTW, if you store any credit card info in free text on your phone you deserve whatever happens. Might as well post it in the window of your car.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    schreiby likes this.

how do I turn off all the notification sounds to make different apps have different tones?

In every app settings there are notification settings which allows you to set individual sounds

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

If I understand the question correctly, then LightFlow from google store should do the trick.

It is really very simple. You just need to save your contacts to the phone itself (from sim card)

Then once you click on each contact there is an option to assign ringtone

My question is similar to these, I am currently using Handcent, I really only use it because I like that I can customize the text message sound AND notification icon (different colors for different people) for each contact. I want to know if there is an app that I can download, that ONLY lets me change the sound and notification Icon color for individual people without having to download a whole SMS app. I am currently using the Evo 4G but I will be upgrading to the S4 in May...

Does anyone have anything that can help me????

I don't know of an app, but you probably won't need one with the S4. The latest S3 update, to 4.1.2, allows you to set individual notification tones for messages directly in the contacts app. That doesn't address the icon color, though.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie84 View Post
    I want to know if there is an app that I can download, that ONLY lets me change the sound and notification Icon color for individual people without having to download a whole SMS app.
    Not sure about an App to control the icons, but LightFlow can handle individual Notification sounds per contact--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.lightflow
    gnr_2 likes this.

Thanks Gregy this was exactly what I needed. All the default notification tones that came with my Galaxy S3 were too quiet. I was able to add a loud custom tone by pasting the file into the notifications folder on the phone. :-)

Just stumbled across this in Handcent: click on the icon for Handcent and get the listing of the recent texts you've received. Select the one you wish to modify the incoming sound. You'll then see a listing of the most recent texts from that contact. Now, here's the good part: at the top of this window, on the left is the contact name. At the top right is a telephone icon, and a contact/settings icon. Select the contact/settings icon. In this screen you can setup a notification sound for THAT individual contact. You can also change the color of the Handcent icon for that contact.

SMS Sounds does half of what you want but doesn't change the icon color.

Ok.... it is very simple to assign a ringtone to:
    Every person individually
    Every group
    Every app
    Every person in an app (whatsapp, given it is one of the most widely used text app)
    Every group in an app

I'll get to the point but it needs some explanation why and how the setting of such a thing in android is how it is.

Android has the capability to sync all the data from your android based phone/tablet to sync with your online Google account or any cloud based account. So even if you lose your phone or gets stolen, basically you can either track your phone and/or rest your phone and don't have to think twice about losing any of your data. That's the beauty of android.

I agree there's a risk of privacy and security but everything comes with a cost. If the data is too private to even use this facility, easiest way is to use 2-step verification for your Google account or the best option is not to sync such files over the internet; just copy it on to your storage device at home whenever available.

Now, let's get to the point.

You can set a ringtone to each person by going to their profile through contacts and assigning it using the edit function. Eg. Spouse, parents, kids.

For a group:
    Goto contacts
    》groups (2nd tab from left on top)
    》assign people to individual groups(you can assign individual contact from their profile) [you can select multiple contacts at a time from your contacts in Google account and then sync with your phone to update your contacts] eg. Colleagues, friends, bosses
    》you can see all the contacts in individual groups
    》use menu button (left soft touch button, next to home button below)
    》browse through the options and assign tone by browsing through your media folder or the app you used for downloading ringtones.

For individual in apps:
    Each app has it's own setting. I don't use anything else other than whatsapp so giving an example of whatsapp.
    There's an option Of using the ringtone that you have already used for individual contact else you can assign a new notification tone for individuals sending msgs on whatsapp.

For group notifications:
    You cannot use separate tones for each groups. You have to use same tone for different groups.

I'm still waiting for an option where I can assign separate tone for call and text for the same person. That one option I still miss.

Anyway hope this helps people who still haven't got a clear answer about what they are looking for.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast