Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can an SIII be charged with an iPad charger?

With my iPhone, it always charged faster with the iPad charger but what about an SIII? I guess I just need to try it myself but I'm just curious if it would charge my SIII any faster because right now, this isn't the fastest charging device in the world, and I'm always looking for ways to get it charged even faster. Has anyone tried this?
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!

Are you talking about the Ipad block or cable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Can an SIII be charged with an iPad charger?

you can use the usb wall plug.. but theyre's a reason the ipad one would charge faster.. its cause the ipad charger has a higher output voltage.. yea it would charge you phone faster but it wont last as long.. the samsung chargeds longer at a lower voltage , hense it will give you a fuller charge..

On the Podcast a couple of weeks ago they talked about chargers and issue for charging time is the amperage of the charger. Jerry said the sweet spot for great charging and battery life seemed to be around 2 amps. The closest one around is the Blackberry Premium Charger that puts out around 1.8 amps to a microUSB plug.

Mike
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    .. but theyre's a reason the ipad one would charge faster.. its cause the ipad charger has a higher output voltage.. yea it would charge you phone faster but it wont last as long.. the samsung chargeds longer at a lower voltage , hense it will give you a fuller charge..
    I believe all USB chargers and ports on computes put out 5 volts, that is the USB standard. Its not the volts its the amps. I am sure your ipad charger has a higher output of amps.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by PewterL31 View Post
    Are you talking about the Ipad block or cable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    I was refering to the wall charger not the 30pin connector itself. I know the SIII uses mini usb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXe View Post
    I was refering to the wall charger not the 30pin connector itself. I know the SIII uses mini usb

Again it depends on the rating of the wall charger block. It should be stamped / written on the charger block itself. The one I have on my TF101 (Original Transformer) is variable voltage from 5-15 volts with a 1.2 Amp rating. The charging circuit of the phone should limit the voltage to 5 volts but the amperage rating is the one that determines how long it takes to charge. The standard iPod charger is 5 Volts and 1 Amp. You just need to check the readings on the iPad charging block. If they are 5 Volts and 1.2 up to 2 Amps then you should be able to use it and get a pretty quick charge without harming your battery.

Mike
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by dmmattix View Post
    Again it depends on the rating of the wall charger block. It should be stamped / written on the charger block itself. The one I have on my TF101 (Original Transformer) is variable voltage from 5-15 volts with a 1.2 Amp rating. The charging circuit of the phone should limit the voltage to 5 volts but the amperage rating is the one that determines how long it takes to charge. The standard iPod charger is 5 Volts and 1 Amp. You just need to check the readings on the iPad charging block. If they are 5 Volts and 1.2 up to 2 Amps then you should be able to use it and get a pretty quick charge without harming your battery.

Mike
    Thanks for the response. The iPad charger says 10W usb power adapter. Output 5.1V 2.1A
    I guess my best bet is just to try it out and see what happens.

Seems to be right near the Sweet Spot that Jerry claimed in the podcast. You are probably good to go with that charging block.

Mike
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by dmmattix View Post
    Seems to be right near the Sweet Spot that Jerry claimed in the podcast. You are probably good to go with that charging block.

Mike
    Awesome good to know. I bring my iPad with me everywhere, as well as my phone and hate the idea of carrying around 2 chargers so this would be perfect. I know anything less than the iPad charger and the new iPad takes all day to charge. Thanks for the reply.

I'm using my iPad charger without any issues. In fact I have bought a few extra iPad chargers and use them with most of my usb devices. Haven't had an issue yet.
    XChrisX likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by fireidiot View Post
    I'm using my iPad charger without any issues. In fact I have bought a few extra iPad chargers and use them with most of my usb devices. Haven't had an issue yet.
    Awesome, have you noticed any faster charge times with the SIII?

Awesome, have you noticed any faster charge times with the SIII?
    Not really, but I'll keep my eye on it. It definitely gets warm though.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano View Post
    I believe all USB chargers and ports on computes put out 5 volts, that is the USB standard. Its not the volts its the amps. I am sure your ipad charger has a higher output of amps.
    sorry i meant amperage.. not volts

I suspect it charges faster, gets hotter, and runs the risk of damaging the battery or phone.

Don't u think Samsung wants their phones to charge as fast as possible?

They did not include a 2 amp charger for a reason.

Just say'n

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by pcguys View Post
    I suspect it charges faster, gets hotter, and runs the risk of damaging the battery or phone.

Just say'n

Mike

Everyone want's their phones to charge as fast as possible and since this trick worked with my iPhone I figured it might work here. Regardless the Samsung charger has been ok but again everyone always wants a faster charge time.

I rather pop in a spare battery at 5pm than rapid charge /fry my phone,tethered to charger for an hour or two in the afternoon.

I like 100% power when I leave work.

Everyone want's their phones to charge as fast as possible and since this trick worked with my iPhone I figured it might work here. Regardless the Samsung charger has been ok but again everyone always wants a faster charge time.
    its not a trick, using a higher amperage charger will charge the battery faster , but it can also die faster because charging faster doesnt give it as full a charge

I rather pop in a spare battery at 5pm than rapid charge /fry my phone,tethered to charger for an hour or two in the afternoon.

I like 100% power when I leave work.

+1

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,083 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

There's a circuit in the phone that might limit the charging rate. So using a higher amperage charger might not charge the phone any faster.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Just say'n

Mike

Mike, you make a good point. I'm not sure the risk out weighs the benefits.

Just say'n

Mike

It is a point but "They did not include a 2 amp charger for a reason" is true but the reason could be that it cost more and when you ship millions of these things a 10 cent cost difference makes a huge difference to your bottom line...

Mike (another Mike)

What started this for me was an AndroidCentral podcast a couple of weeks ago when the guys were discussing the best chargers for their cell phones. One guy from CrackBerry mentioned the BlackBerry Premium Charger which is a 1.8 Amp charger and everyone agreed that 1.8 to 2.1 Amps was a sweet spot for quick charging your cell phones.

I looked at the BlackBerry corporate site where they have a blurb on the Premium charger where they claim the charger is "designed to work with your BlackBerry smartphone charging twice as fast as standard BlackBerry chargers". I don't know if anyone has done any long term testing and if I had an HOX (HTC One X) which does not have a removable battery I might be a bit leery but since we can replace the battery if it begins to fail I will probably have one of these higher amperage chargers around for that time I forget to charge the phone and I need to charge it quickly.

If you don't want to do this and have no need (I am using my old BB Torch 9800 charger right now because I am too lazy to replace it in our charging station) then don't but I like having the option so I have one.

Mike

When I bought my iPad at an Apple store the sales guy made a point to tell me not to charge my iPhone with the iPad block. There is a chance it can fry the phone. At these prices, I'm not risking it.

Can the iPad2 charger charge the iPhone 4s? - Apple Store (U.S.)

And yes, You can use the ipad charger with the S3, im using it with my S3 and works better than the samsung regular one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast