Quick Question About ATT LTE and HSPA+

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I just switched to ATT and grabbed the GS3. My question is, but when the 4G icon is displayed, and do that mean that I'm on LTE or HSPA+?

I don't think in have LTE out here in my area. But what I do know is either way... Hspa+ or lte, my data speeds is a lot faster than what I was getting on Sprint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
If it just says 4G you are on HSPA+ or UMTS. (strangely my ATT microcell says 4G when it clearly is NOT). When you are on LTE (ie real 4G) the icon will say 4GLTE.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
If it just says 4G you are on HSPA+ or UMTS. (strangely my ATT microcell says 4G when it clearly is NOT). When you are on LTE (ie real 4G) the icon will say 4GLTE.

Oh ok... Thanks. I didn't think it was LTE out here where I live.

Is there still some reason out there that still have 3Gbor is that pretty much obsolete?

Blazed up from my ATT Galaxy S III

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I dont like how ATT is calling what is clearly a 3G network 4G and then calling the LTE network (which also does not meet the technical definition of 4G), 4GLTE. Marketing guys distort everything. Ive heard the excuse that the 4G now refers to the 4th network generation technology for GSM. (GPRS>EDGE>UMTS>HSPA/HSPA+>LTE). Using that logic I would think ATT would be calling LTE 5G, but Im guessing all the other networks would cry foul over that one as well. As long as your phone does what you need, then you should be good to go. I know alot of people are stoked over 4G, but I dont care. Most of what I do is not bandwidth intensive on my phone. I have 50MB up/down fiber with a guaranteed service level at my office, so if I need speed, I know where to go. Im there 10+ hours a day anyway.

Dont know where you are, but hope ATT gets LTE rolled out where you are if that is what you need. Im more excited about LTE for better building penetration and presumably better overall coverage (mostly for calls), but my understanding is, ATT has not implemented Voice over LTE and that the phone falls back to HSPA+ to make calls.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, when you make a call, the LTE is turned off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by CarlGalgano

Yes, all correct. The microcell is capable of HSPA+, hence the 4G (no LTE) indicator. But call HSPA+ what it is: fauxG. :D

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma