Could we be next? - Sprint GS3 Update Nixes Universal Search

abot

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to be an alarmist but the latest Sprint GS3 OTA update has nixed universal search.

The update was supposed to fix some security issues but is was discovered that universal search got nixed.

I guess we can assume that this will happen to all GS3 devices. Will this happen to all Samsung devices running ICS. What about other Android devices - HTC, LG etc.

I guess we wait and see.

Martinr303

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on GS3 on AT&T and got an update today. And it does remove the local search. So to search a contact I can't just search it from the Google widget. I actually have to go into my contacts.
c6e4d98f-d49f-f59d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I just realized the only thing that kept me on iOS for so long was the media ecosystem and lack of apps on Android. There are still a few games I wish I had on Android and I wish Amazon would get something like iTunes Match.

But otherwise? I AM SO GLAD I'M DONE WITH IPHONES.

abot

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
There is an apk file for old universal search GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk

The apk file does work and fix the searching, but once you reboot it goes away and needs to be installed again. Is there a fix for this? I guess its time to flash and rom.

Last edited:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe this part of the update is a work around to avoid the latest Apple suit against Samsung thus allowing the Nexus to come into the country.

I also seem to recall an article about 2 weeks ago regarding Samsung and Google teaming up to provide a permanent solution that will allow for the old style searching that is outside the perview of the asserted Apple patent.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Does it work on the GS3?

Yes.. and if you use a launcher with customize-able swipe up actions such as ADW, you can set Gesture Search as your swipe up command.

I love it.. I've used this config for as long as I can remember.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on this update. I can still perform a universal search from the Google bar. If Apple is behind this with a crap patent claim, it's time they were summarily dismissed and fined for frivolous lawsuits.

How long can one postpone an update? I just got my phone and liking how it works. I don't need an update that takes away functionality.

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes.. and if you use a launcher with customize-able swipe up actions such as ADW, you can set Gesture Search as your swipe up command.

I love it.. I've used this config for as long as I can remember.
I use ADW. What is the difference between gesture search and just search? Can you post a screeny of what "gesture search" is in ADW?

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Att issued an update. I started another thread and installed it. It wasnt very big. Its still installing.

Sorry, old news. Didnt read the entire thread.

dallasfever

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Im confused.. So Google search bar has been rendered to internet search only...What about Samsung SVoice? Also in the market is Vlingo that does the same thing. So did they just take away the Google Voice Actions?????

Last edited:

SlothSprint

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
What I don't get is how this could be an issue with Apple and their patent when I've been using a much better feature from Palm called "Just Type" for years??

What I loved about that feature was with a physical keyboard you didn't even have to click in the search field, you just started typing and names, places, terms or whatever just popped up.

I will have to keep this feature. I wouldn't survive without it. Thanks all for the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv