Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "Update Security Settings to Use Email"

I found another software, recommended to me by a friend:

called 'touchdown' works perfectly.

HI

I had this problem to and it frustrated the life out me and I went searching for answers leading me to this site which was no help. I found the answer elsewhere. May I suggest you try looking in the top left corner for a small icon that looks like an envelope. If you find it touch and drag down diagonally on it and it should open up a window that shows the security updates and if click on the accept button I think from memory (or follow the prompts) your problem may be solved. At least mine was.

Hope I am not too late and this works
    Thanked by 2:

I have this problem with a Galaxy S2.
    "Update Security Settings" notification always appear.
    ICS on the device.

Also, last week we upgraded our Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010.

I tried everything mentioned in this thread.

UPDATE
    There is another weird problem with this S2. The Wifi does not stay ON when bluetooth is activated. Anyone also experience this?

Hi,

This normal behaviour, depending on Security settings on Exchange Server.
    When you create the account on your device, Exchange wants to enforce security on your device.
    It's been a while, but you have to read and actions the prompts when it first tries to connect.

It will enforce the device security by asking you for a PIN/SWIPE/PASSWORD to be created.
    From then on your device will activate Screen lock when you power off or switch on, maybe a pain but it's secure.

Ther are some tweaked mail packages out there that bypass this, if you don't want security.

David

This is referring to the settings of the email account. When I set up an Exchange account on my Optimus V it went smoothly and I never had to do any updating. Now on ICS, when I go to setup the same Exchange account, I have to let the account share all my phone's permissions and I have to put a pin code on the lock screen. This must be due to the update on ICS, and I hate it immensely, so much that I deleted the account and now have the email forwarded through another work account. I feel like I am on an Apple device when this happens, woe is me..

This may have to do with ICS in the sense that older versions of Android didn't support the feature, but it's a policy that's being enforced by your company, not Android or Samsung. My company enforces this, and no longer allows phones that don't support these policies to log into corporate email. You can't really blame a company for wanting to protect it's intellectual property (and yes, your company email is their property), not yours. I'm surprised they haven't closed off the forwarding loophole.

Nnja, the issue people are reporting isn't that they have to set up the security settings once, it's that they're getting prompted to do it repeatedly, over and over and over. That's not normal.

I get this notice once in a while, and sometimes I'll get it a couple of times in the same day, but that's rare. I don't know what the solution is. I'd reach out to the company email team and see if there's anything in the Exchange server settings that might be causing this. If there's nothing there, look into the Touchdown app.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

I have a new phone and needed to connect MS Exchange server for my email. I found a microsoft help page that said if my server name was podxxxxx.outlook.com I should use ms.outlook.com I did that and it works. So far!!

This page is a help.

Thank you very much! This helped me solve the issue too!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glengam View Post
    HI

I had this problem to and it frustrated the life out me and I went searching for answers leading me to this site which was no help. I found the answer elsewhere. May I suggest you try looking in the top left corner for a small icon that looks like an envelope. If you find it touch and drag down diagonally on it and it should open up a window that shows the security updates and if click on the accept button I think from memory (or follow the prompts) your problem may be solved. At least mine was.

MIcrosoft doesn't allow your TASKS to Sync. Uncheck Sync task in settings and its fixed. I had the same issue over and over.

Thank you Thank You Thank you , That was it

Who Knew? They really ought to let those programmers out in the real world from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by beaulowe View Post
    MIcrosoft doesn't allow your TASKS to Sync. Uncheck Sync task in settings and its fixed. I had the same issue over and over.
    That's not true. I can sync tasks on my Sprint S3, and view / update the tasks in the Samsung calendar program. It may well be task synching that's causing the error message, but you can sync tasks with EAS.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Thank you Diana. What a frustrating way to push out security features. I was a Droid user and went back to the simplicity of the iPhone. I think the Driods have lost me forever. Unfortunately, I'm the IT guy at a law firm and we have attorney's with Droids. This saved me tons of time. Thank you!

Tried it but the little envelope didn't even move when I clicked on it.
    What worked for me was HOME > SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > SOFTWARE UPDATE

That was the absolute end of my torture.

Quote Originally Posted by peruboy63 View Post
    It's giving your employer permission to wipe if needed. The at least that's what my security update was for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Yeah see it prompted me with the wipe data requirement (as well as 20+ other ones) and then one day out of no where I left my phone in my pocket with the screen on. Somehow when it was bumping around in my pocket it tried to unlock itself 10 times, and after that it force wiped all my data on the phone. No warning what so ever. Don't know who the smart guy was who chose that to be the standard for security requirements, but I was not happy when it happened.

Brilliant: after hours of trying to fix this and then trawling through sites I found this answer which worked - I was not a member, but joined just to thank the person that came up with the solution: drag the small icon in top left and and go to security settings in the list etc. Thanks so much for the post.

Ken S.

Quote Originally Posted by glengam View Post
    HI

L

This works, thanks so much.

but doesnt it apply all those things listed on the list ?
    they are too much to risk for

I had the problem of security update popping up after the OS update from 4.1 to 4.3. I tried a lot of the suggestions but still no Email sync.
    Finally I removed the exchange active sync account and set it up again which seems to work for me (at least for the moment).
    The Emails sync again and no security update popping up anymore.
    I hope its not going to be a tradition after every OS update.

Here is what worked for me.

Getting Update Security settings error message
    Goto Security and then to Administrators. Uncheck the Email administrator and ok the warning that the email will be deleted. Then setup the account again.

I turned off google play store.

settings-application manager-google play store-turn off

That worked for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12