MMS over wi-fi? Samsung says it's not possible.

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, you may be "certain of this" but that's incorrect. My mobile data is always turned on, I NEVER turn it off. But sometimes mms send/receive works and other times it does not - unless I turn off WiFi temporarily. This is WIDELY reported here on AC as well as other forums.
Here is a possibility for the sporadic behavior. When you connect to a Wi-Fi network, it assigns a specific IP address, and specific DNS servers to your phone. It is possible that the name of the MMS server for AT&T does not resolve to the proper IP address on certain DNS servers -- so it cannot send/receive MMS data.

However, if you have Wi-Fi turned off - you will use the AT&T DNS servers - so the name resolves to the proper IP address.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is a possibility for the sporadic behavior. When you connect to a Wi-Fi network, it assigns a specific IP address, and specific DNS servers to your phone. It is possible that the name of the MMS server for AT&T does not resolve to the proper IP address on certain DNS servers -- so it cannot send/receive MMS data.

However, if you have Wi-Fi turned off - you will use the AT&T DNS servers - so the name resolves to the proper IP address.

Good idea here. Try MMS on various wifi networks

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
There is a way to test it ... but I don't have AT&T so I cannot confirm that exact settings - but here is my best guess from reading forums.

If you have (LTE) APN of:
Name: PTA
APN: pta
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Auth: none
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri
Then add the following APN, and switch to it while on a Wi-Fi network that you cannot receive MMS message on.
Name: PTA-IP
APN: pta
MMSC: http://166.216.230.19
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net (or 172.26.39.1).
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Auth: none
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri

If you have (non-LTE) APN of :
Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN type: default,supl,mms
Add the following:
Name: AT&T-IP
APN: wap.cingular
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
MMSC: http://166.216.166.19
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com (or 66.209.11.32)
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN type: default,supl,mms

If you have a different one, the post it here, and I'll give you a new APN to test.

Make sure you don't delete the existing APN (or APNs), just add a new one. Only select the new one for your testing.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
MMS/text messages have always been on a separate system for sending on AT&T, Cingular, or AT&T(from before the merger), and even runs on a different communication frequency. It is possible there is a software bug, but that is a different issue. You could be on wifi, or even on a phone without a data plan, and sending a MMS message WILL use data on the carrier, no way around it.

Let me say it again, unless there is some software bug that is stopping it from working properly, sending/receiving a MMS will use CELLULAR data.

Tigerboy

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
with verizon Samsung phones, both the galaxy note 2 and Galaxy S3 they are blocking the sending and receiving of picture and video MMS unless mobile data is turned on. this means all Verizon mms messages will consume the data on your data plan both sent and received..

Also for those considering a Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon network, you cannot use phone and internet at the same time unless you are in a 4G area... still testing things but most phones today even on CDMA networks like Sprint and Verizon can do internet and phone at the same time... Samsung is not perfect...also they put out the phablet Note 2 and dont even offer the 32 and 64 models at launch.. we really need fully accessible expansion memory sdcard options on all phones stop this thing where we cant install on our memory... we need an open android if this continues. freedom is why things have advanced to where they are today.

rjw

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
My Sprint S3 does this as well. I can turn mobile data off, have Wifi on, and send / receive MMS without any issues.

Even though I get the below error message on my Sprint Galaxy S3 running Jelly Bean with mobile data turned off it still send the MMS through WiFi without any issues.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354450554652.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354450554652.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Even though I get the below error message on my Sprint Galaxy S3 running Jelly Bean with mobile data turned off it still send the MMS through WiFi without any issues.

I wonder if people are having this issue due to using the stock app as well.

I used a third party one (ChompSMS) and I don't receive the error your seeing.

meemoo752

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this might help but I use eBuddy XMS and send MMS via wifi to mobile phones and receive them as well on my GS3 without any problems. The nice part is that it uses data instead of mobile.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Comcast offers there Xfinity Connect app. If you have Comcast home phone, you get unlimited text messaging for free.

Now, to use your cell phones text over WiFi, not possible. If you sign up with Google voice and use Sprint you can use your Sprint number with it and the Google voice app to send text over WiFi.

gladeslvr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I am really disappointed with my Galaxy S3 for this issue. I had an HTC Inspire before and NEVER had to switch over to Mobile network to send or receive pictures in my texts. I am almost ready to switch back because of this. I don't like being forced into using up data when I am on wifi...such a gimmick. Samsung, you SUCK!

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I am really disappointed with my Galaxy S3 for this issue. I had an HTC Inspire before and NEVER had to switch over to Mobile network to send or receive pictures in my texts. I am almost ready to switch back because of this. I don't like being forced into using up data when I am on wifi...such a gimmick. Samsung, you SUCK!

So, you think Samsung is intentionally trying to ramp up your data charges? Does not benifit them.

There are many apps to use that can alleviate your issue. Maybe not the best thing in the world, but.... You have a problem, there is a solution.

Either way, hope it works for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

TexasRedNeck

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Quickest fix I have found is turning on airplane mode waiting a few seconds and then turning it off. Not sure what the problem is but this will allow your phone to function properly. Had a problem with my browser not working on 4g and this was the fix. Figured I would would try it on my wife's phone that was having the mms problem and it fixed it as well.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

jimtheditor

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I see this is a relatively old post, but I have experienced the very same problem with my non-rooted GS2 (ICS) from Sprint. I HAVE, however found a solution. Do any of you use "AdBlock?" There is a confirmed bug in Adblock for android. While Adblock is active, you cannot send MMS through messaging apps. The bug only seems to pop up if you are connected to wifi with mobile data still enabled. If you disable your wifi with Adblock still enabled it actually will send. Or, you can just disable Adblock. That way, you can send while connected to wifi.

Mennonh

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I am on Verizon and get this message about only sending over the network. I was wondering if messages could be sent over wifi would it stop requiring the pictures to be shrunk.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see this is a relatively old post, but I have experienced the very same problem with my non-rooted GS2 (ICS) from Sprint. I HAVE, however found a solution. Do any of you use "AdBlock?" There is a confirmed bug in Adblock for android. While Adblock is active, you cannot send MMS through messaging apps. The bug only seems to pop up if you are connected to wifi with mobile data still enabled. If you disable your wifi with Adblock still enabled it actually will send. Or, you can just disable Adblock. That way, you can send while connected to wifi.

Good catch man! I was confused why some of these individuals were having this issue. I don't use Adblock and on my s3 (Sprint) I can send MMS over the network or wifi (and I disable mobile data when on wifi).

Very nice. Everyone that was having this issue I'd look into this possible solution.

lilimarlene

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I know this post is a few months old, but I'm experiencing same issue on my new s3. And I'm on T-Mobile. I never disable mobile data either, but cannot receive mms with wifi on. I've tried it on a couple of different networks too. Frustrating. I don't remember if I had this problem on my old Nexus S...which is also Samsung.

Richard Bongiardina

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
What is Adblock? Also I am having the same problem and was told as another user posted to turn airplane mode on than off again and that works everytime but is a pain in the a$$. I got this advice from ATT store and they said that as we are new to the 4G LTE here in the denver metro market that the phones are not reconnecting correctly to the mobile network as it goes in and out of LTE area's. Not sure if its true or just a load from a rep guessing at the problem but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I advise that everyone that is having the issue log a ticket with ATT and Samsung and see if that gets some emphasis on fixing what appears to be a simple software fix.

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What is Adblock? Also I am having the same problem and was told as another user posted to turn airplane mode on than off again and that works everytime but is a pain in the a$$. I got this advice from ATT store and they said that as we are new to the 4G LTE here in the denver metro market that the phones are not reconnecting correctly to the mobile network as it goes in and out of LTE area's. Not sure if its true or just a load from a rep guessing at the problem but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I advise that everyone that is having the issue log a ticket with ATT and Samsung and see if that gets some emphasis on fixing what appears to be a simple software fix.

What he said. I'm on ATT in Detroit and still have problems sending MMS over WiFi. have to turn off WiFi and resend to get it to work. it's just not right.

whartzel

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I too have the Galaxy S3. Numerous issues became evident after updating to 4.1.1. Not only was I not able to send / receive MMS texts, I also was not receiving calls when I was connected to my wi-fi. Reverting to the pta APN (android 4.0.1) resolved the call issue. Earlier in this thread POBS123 mentions that the IP address for the APN may not be resolving when sending MMS texts. I made the specific IP changes for the APN (LTE version) and now I am able to send / receive MMS texts while connected to my wi-fi.Thank you POB123. Everything is working again. I should note that I'm on the AT&T network here in PA.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz