MMS over wi-fi? Samsung says it's not possible.

ccfixx

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had issues sending/receiving MMS over wi-fi on the S III? I regularly use Handcent and contacted them about the issue, but there hasn't been a solution. I've tried both the stock messaging system and Go SMS with the same results. I noticed that this was also being discussed over on XDA Developers, so I thought I would contact Samsung via LiveChat today. I was basically told that Samsung designed the phone not to send MMS over wi-fi and only over the carrier's network. Does this seem correct? This is the first Samsung phone I've owned, so I don't know if this is something they've done in the past or if this is a new thing for them.

Here's part of my transcript...

"I have run a check on the database for you and I am sorry to inform you that, the phone is designed in such a way that there is no option to send MMS messages using WiFi network as it can be done only through AT&T network."

"The Samsung phone is only designed in such a way that there is no option to send MMS messages using WiFi network as it can be done only through carrier network."

Are other users not experiencing this, or is everyone else sending their MMS over their network?

ccfixx

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Do you know if this is carrier-specific, Samsung, or specifically the Galaxy S III? I've never had a similar issue with another phone on any network, nor did I have this issue on the HTC One X. I just find it a bit odd.

I suppose it really doesn't matter when the MMS messaging is included in the $20 messaging package, right? It doesn't eat into any of the data plan. It just becomes a minor annoyance when I'm always on wi-fi at home.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had issues sending/receiving MMS over wi-fi on the S III? I regularly use Handcent and contacted them about the issue, but there hasn't been a solution. I've tried both the stock messaging system and Go SMS with the same results. I noticed that this was also being discussed over on XDA Developers, so I thought I would contact Samsung via LiveChat today. I was basically told that Samsung designed the phone not to send MMS over wi-fi and only over the carrier's network. Does this seem correct? This is the first Samsung phone I've owned, so I don't know if this is something they've done in the past or if this is a new thing for them.

Here's part of my transcript...

Are other users not experiencing this, or is everyone else sending their MMS over their network?

There seems to be a miscommunication here. You can, in fact, only send SMS/MMS over the carrier network. However, it will still work with Wifi on. Seems like Samsung is telling you that you can't do it over wifi (which is technically true) and not telling you the whole story.

Normally, as long as you have mobile data on, if you send an SMS/MMS with wifi on, your phone will temporarily utilize the mobile network to send the message, then switch back to Wifi. It works fine on my AT&T GS3 and this is how it has always worked, to my knowledge.

Pdelponte

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a miscommunication here. You can, in fact, only send SMS/MMS over the carrier network. However, it will still work with Wifi on. Seems like Samsung is telling you that you can't do it over wifi (which is technically true) and not telling you the whole story.

Normally, as long as you have mobile data on, if you send an SMS/MMS with wifi on, your phone will temporarily utilize the mobile network to send the message, then switch back to Wifi. It works fine on my AT&T GS3 and this is how it has always worked, to my knowledge.

With WiFi and Mobile Data on i can send/receive Text Messages (SMS) fine. But i cannot receive picture messages (MMS). I get the message "Message Download Failed" in my AT&T Messages app. I contacted AT&T and they told me i have to turn off WiFi to download a picture message.

So... everytime i want to view a picture message i have to disable wifi, open AT&T Messages and then click "Retry" to download the message.

It would be nice if the phone would just automaticly switch over to 4G to download a picture message.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried using the stock messages app? I have no problems pulling MMS's in when on wifi. The phone connects to 4G automatically when needed. the AT&T messages app is pretty horrendous in a lot of ways so I could easily see that not working properly.

Pdelponte

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using the stock messages app? I have no problems pulling MMS's in when on wifi. The phone connects to 4G automatically when needed. the AT&T messages app is pretty horrendous in a lot of ways so I could easily see that not working properly.

Yes, i get the "Message Download Failed" in both the stock Messages app and the AT&T Message app

lostboiiz

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
So, I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem. I have Verizon and I just got an S3, and whenever I get an MMS (which is usually not pics, btw, but my mom sending a group message to me and my sis) I first off don't get any kind of alert that I've received a message at all, and secondly I HAVE to turn off my WiFi to download it, even if my data was already on.

I do hope there is a way to resolve this, as it's incredibly inconvenient and feels like it's just a way for Verizon to coerce me into using 4G rather than WiFi.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
For SENDING, you can e-mail to: number@txt.att.net for AT&T users, and number@vtext.com for Verizon users. This will send the message to a gateway that will convert the message to a text message. Receiving you are still limited to using the carrier network.

Now, there are a number of POSITIVE aspects to this. Text/MMS messaging runs on a different frequency than the normal service, so when you have service problems, text messaging can still work in many cases. It also uses less bandwidth, so if you are dealing with overloaded cell phone towers, messages will generally get through when you can't call the person.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
It's possible,my HTC one x downloads mms when I'm on WiFi with my data off. It's Samsung's doing.

Sent from my awesome HTC one x:)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's possible,my HTC one x downloads mms when I'm on WiFi with my data off. It's Samsung's doing.

My Sprint S3 does this as well. I can turn mobile data off, have Wifi on, and send / receive MMS without any issues.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I think its only possible through network.

Via Tapatalk with Galaxy S3

With WiFi and Mobile Data on i can send/receive Text Messages (SMS) fine. But i cannot receive picture messages (MMS). I get the message "Message Download Failed" in my AT&T Messages app. I contacted AT&T and they told me i have to turn off WiFi to download a picture message.

So... everytime i want to view a picture message i have to disable wifi, open AT&T Messages and then click "Retry" to download the message.

It would be nice if the phone would just automaticly switch over to 4G to download a picture message.

I have this problem, and have read about it being widely reported in all the Android forums. Interestingly (and frustratingly!) for me it works sometimes and fails to work other times - unless and until I temporarily turn off WiFi. I honestly have no problem with it using the carrier network, but it should know to do so even though WiFi is connected also!

And its not the fault of the carrier either. Not sure if its Samsung or Android/Google, but I switched from BlackBerry (AT&T) a few months ago to my new S3 (AT&T.) Sending and receiving MMS messages worked absolutely flawlessly with the BlackBerry, but is completely hit or miss with the S3. Doesn't matter if I"m using the stock messages app, AT&T messages app (which I don't use much at all) or GoSMS, the inconsistency is there exactly the same with all.

I love the hardware, love all the apps, love the configurability of Android, but inconsistent operation like this sometimes drives me nuts with this phone. :(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And its not the fault of the carrier either. Not sure if its Samsung or Android/Google, but I switched from BlackBerry (AT&T) a few months ago to my new S3 (AT&T.) Sending and receiving MMS messages worked absolutely flawlessly with the BlackBerry, but is completely hit or miss with the S3. Doesn't matter if I"m using the stock messages app, AT&T messages app (which I don't use much at all) or GoSMS, the inconsistency is there exactly the same with all.

I love the hardware, love all the apps, love the configurability of Android, but inconsistent operation like this sometimes drives me nuts with this phone. :(

It makes me wonder though if it's something ATT did to their version of the s3 or maybe there is some kind of hardware / software glitch? The only reason I say this is because I know about 10 people at my work on Sprint who have s3s (we all got one when it came out :p) and have 3 friends with Sprint s3s and we can all send / recieve MMS messages through wifi. I have wifi at my work (so me and co-workers are on it all day and we are always sending pictures, links, videos about tech news to each other and friends) right now and I sent out a picture to some friends and then one sent me a picture as well about South Park and I was able to download it with no issue.

We need someone on Tmobile and Verizon to test it out... It would help to narrow it down. :confused:

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
It makes me wonder though if it's something ATT did to their version of the s3 or maybe there is some kind of hardware / software glitch? The only reason I say this is because I know about 10 people at my work on Sprint who have s3s (we all got one when it came out :p) and have 3 friends with Sprint s3s and we can all send / recieve MMS messages through wifi. I have wifi at my work (so me and co-workers are on it all day and we are always sending pictures, links, videos about tech news to each other and friends) right now and I sent out a picture to some friends and then one sent me a picture as well about South Park and I was able to download it with no issue.

We need someone on Tmobile and Verizon to test it out... It would help to narrow it down. :confused:

More then likely At&t did this to their s3 to get people to utilize their data. My one x can send and revive mms over WiFi. I'm 100% certain of this. Also,i think it was the s3 or dunno if its the one x that At&t advertises as having unlimmited data over WiFi(Lol) like I know we don't have the brightest people here in America but I'm pretty sure more then 1/2 of the population knows that usuing WiFi won't affect your carrier data #'s.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

More then likely At&t did this to their s3 to get people to utilize their data. My one x can send and revive mms over WiFi. I'm 100% certain of this. Also,i think it was the s3 or dunno if its the one x that At&t advertises as having unlimmited data over WiFi(Lol) like I know we don't have the brightest people here in America but I'm pretty sure more then 1/2 of the population knows that usuing WiFi won't affect your carrier data #'s.

Sorry, but no that's not it. Yes, the carrier makes you send MMS via their network. It worked that way on my BlackBerry devices for years on AT&T - and it worked flawlessly, even when connected to WiFi at home.

Again, I don't care whether it uses the carrier network, that's just fine. I just want it to WORK.

There's no reason why the phone should not be able to use the carrier network for a MMS, even if WiFi is connected - after all, that's exactly what BlackBerry's AND iPhones manage to do just fine. Its obviously a software glitch of some kind. As I mentioned earlier - and many others have noted in these threads - when you have WiFi turned on, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - randomly as best as I can tell.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but no that's not it. Yes, the carrier makes you send MMS via their network. It worked that way on my BlackBerry devices for years on AT&T - and it worked flawlessly, even when connected to WiFi at home.

Again, I don't care whether it uses the carrier network, that's just fine. I just want it to WORK.

There's no reason why the phone should not be able to use the carrier network for a MMS, even if WiFi is connected - after all, that's exactly what BlackBerry's AND iPhones manage to do just fine. Its obviously a software glitch of some kind. As I mentioned earlier - and many others have noted in these threads - when you have WiFi turned on, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - randomly as best as I can tell.

Best I can tell you is,keep your mobile data turned on even if your connected to WiFi. The s3 will switch to your mobile data when receiving or sending a mms. I'm certain of this.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Best I can tell you is,keep your mobile data turned on even if your connected to WiFi. The s3 will switch to your mobile data when receiving or sending a mms. I'm certain of this. :)

Sorry, you may be "certain of this" but that's incorrect. My mobile data is always turned on, I NEVER turn it off. But sometimes mms send/receive works and other times it does not - unless I turn off WiFi temporarily. This is WIDELY reported here on AC as well as other forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

And I agree?did you read what I said mine does? It should work with mobile network or wifi... That's why I am trying to see as to why only att s3s have this issue.. I was saying my s3 on Sprint will do exactly what you want... Send or receive MMS via the mobile network or Wifi. So i am baffled as to why only the att one is having an issue. I disable my mobile data when turning on wifi so I can be certain my phone isn't sending it via 3g...

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, you may be "certain of this" but that's incorrect. My mobile data is always turned on, I NEVER turn it off. But sometimes mms send/receive works and other times it does not - unless I turn off WiFi temporarily. This is WIDELY reported here on AC as well as other forums.

Alright bud,your not gonna beat a geek who has experience and knowledge lol. When I had my At&t Galaxy s3,it wouldn't send over WiFi. It would if your data was on; it did not disconnect WiFi temporarily,it temporarily switched to the mobile data w/o disconnecting WiFi. That's all I'm saying lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan