Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

ROM
    4.1.2 Cyanogen

Default Re: Kies connectivity problem explained by Samsung.

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post

A new Kies version just came out as well: 2.5.0.12104_15 that also seems quite a bit faster than previous versions.
    I was going to say this... I loaded that version up last night and it solved my issues. I run Win 7 64 bit at the house. I was getting the "not a compatible device" error.

Angry Re: Kies connectivity problem explained by Samsung.

I bought my Samsung Galaxy S in November 2010. The first few times, it connected with the Kies on the CD which came in the packet. But once I started upgrading the Kies, it never connected again. I rolled back to the old Kies, but it was still not connecting.
    It connects well with KIES AIR, but you cannot upgrade the firmware or download the Calendar.
    All my Contacts in the phone disappeared twice and after the first time it happened, I took the precaution of saving all my Contacts to Google.
    But my Samsung Galaxy Tab always connects to Kies and recenly I upgraded the Firmware also.
    I used to recommend Samsung to other people and many including my brothers and cousins bought them and are cusrsing me now.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

I struggled through this for weeks, then inadvertently found a simple solution. Connect the phone before opening Kies. When prompted select open folders to view files (or whatever it says). Minimize that window, open Kies, and it will find and connect to the phone and card just fine. At least this has worked for me everytime.
    Thanked by:

It took me two and a half days to finally get the JB installed via Kies. Now that it's downloaded, My S3 has a **** load of issues.
    Including messages stating that TouchWiz has stopped... Also, some unknown app called NQ security(which apparently snuck in during the process)keeps preventing me from doing any online searches.... Seriously??? Samsung has told me to perform a factory reset and then go through the arduous process of re-installing JB-AGAIN!
    This totally smacks of mediocrity.....
    I also blame AT&T for not allowing an OTA install.

First Samsung mobile connected ONCE and never again! I have downloaded the latest update of Kies and tried to connect my new Tab 2 several times without success. Useless!
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Craigers Hanzelka View Post
    It took me two and a half days to finally get the JB installed via Kies. Now that it's downloaded, My S3 has a **** load of issues.
    Including messages stating that TouchWiz has stopped... Also, some unknown app called NQ security(which apparently snuck in during the process)keeps preventing me from doing any online searches.... Seriously??? Samsung has told me to perform a factory reset and then go through the arduous process of re-installing JB-AGAIN!
    This totally smacks of mediocrity.....
    I also blame AT&T for not allowing an OTA install.
    A couple years ago, an OTA of a major update got botched and AT&T had to deal with thousands of returns and exchanges of bricked phones. They've been gun-shy about allowing major OTA upgrades since.

And as far as your issues, remember, these phones are like computers now. Sometimes new parts of an OS don't play nice with remnant settings created under an older OS. The fix is to do a clean install...which, in the case of a cell phone, is to perform a factory reset after the upgrade. It sucks to set everything up again, but it is often necessary to correct the incompatibilities that arise from an update. A factory reset should clear up most, if not all of your issues.
    Targon likes this.

I had the same issues as everyone above. Drivers failing to install, kies not recognizing my phone. I went to best buy and bought a new usb cable came home and it worked perfectly. Strange to think it could be something as simple as that. Might be worth a try for some of you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeltim View Post
    I struggled through this for weeks, then inadvertently found a simple solution. Connect the phone before opening Kies. When prompted select open folders to view files (or whatever it says). Minimize that window, open Kies, and it will find and connect to the phone and card just fine. At least this has worked for me everytime.
    Genius! I had the same problems as everyone else here, tried your tip and it worked perfect. *boggle*

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Talk about frustrating .....................
    I have tried all the suggestions in this thread - still cannot get the computer to connect to my S3.
    For the longest time, the computer wouldn't even SEE the S3. Solution to THAT issue was to do a battery pull.
    As an ATT user, I don't understand why ATT fails to do an OTA with the JB update.
    Stopped at the ATT store today; the two reps I spoke with had never even heard of Kies or JB. Very helpful ... not.
    Does anyone know the status of the JB ATT OTA? Is it just rolling out slowly? Or will ATT ever roll it out JB OTA?

Update:

Some progress, but no joy:

Somehow, now the computer both sees the S3 and connects to it. Kies then shows the JB update. But when I click the choice to begin the upgrade, Kies freezes.

I have the latest version of Java.

Computer is Windows 7, 32-bit.

Most of what I have read about Kies is negative; there seem to be few reports of success updating S3 firmware (to JB) using Kies.

Any suggestions before I give up on Kies?
    Last edited by k6rim; 12-23-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Hi all. Seems this is a problem with the S3. I have been trying for a month or two now, and have given up. If you have any good ideas that a "normal" user can use, I would appreciate them. But for now I think the hype is just that, and I'm afraid I will not be able to sync the phone and the laptop.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Uninstall antivirus on the S3, and turn off the firewall on the computer for that issue. Also, make sure you have 2GB of free hard drive space on the computer, just to make sure there is space to extract the install image.

Quote Originally Posted by k6rim View Post
    Talk about frustrating .....................
    I have tried all the suggestions in this thread - still cannot get the computer to connect to my S3.
    For the longest time, the computer wouldn't even SEE the S3. Solution to THAT issue was to do a battery pull.
    As an ATT user, I don't understand why ATT fails to do an OTA with the JB update.
    Stopped at the ATT store today; the two reps I spoke with had never even heard of Kies or JB. Very helpful ... not.
    Does anyone know the status of the JB ATT OTA? Is it just rolling out slowly? Or will ATT ever roll it out JB OTA?

Update:

Some progress, but no joy:

Somehow, now the computer both sees the S3 and connects to it. Kies then shows the JB update. But when I click the choice to begin the upgrade, Kies freezes.

I have the latest version of Java.

Computer is Windows 7, 32-bit.

Most of what I have read about Kies is negative; there seem to be few reports of success updating S3 firmware (to JB) using Kies.

Any suggestions before I give up on Kies?

Red face Re: Kies connectivity problem explained by Samsung.

Hey there,

just been trawling the net like everyone else as I too hit this same issue. I've found a solution that worked for me and have taken the time to register on this forum just to post a solution in the hope it helps... it applied to a Canon powershot camera!... but worked just as well, even if the registry setting didn't match up exactly.

Solution here:

Basically, delete the reg setting it asks for (if you have it - I guess if you don't you won't have the same issue).

=================================
    It is suggested to have a look at the following registry. Make a backup of it and remove the Upperfilters setting:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425F-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}
    “Upperfilters” = klfltdrv
    =================================

I had the Upperfilters setting, it had a different string but as soon as I removed and reconnected, it worked instantly. Truly hope it helps others out too...

Daniel Burns

I just bought a S3 yesterday and have been fighting with Kies all day. It seems to stick at the "Connecting..." part. Also, Windows 7 never really formally installed the device driver for my phone, as far as I recall.

I have noticed that the USB input on the phone is VERY sensitive. I'm not sure if it's the phone input or the USB cable itself but I can put a little pressure on it and the phone disconnects (I can hear the USB disconnect noise). This obviously causes Kies to not recognize the phone even more than normal.

Is my phone's USB input faulty? Should I be taking it back to the AT&T store today?

I tried ALL of the tips and tricks, just like the last time I updated my phone. Still nothing. MTP device drivers will not load, wont work on either Win 7 x64 machines I have, and one is a new build/OS load and one it worked on before...foolishly I updated Kies and now it will not work any longer.

Kies is probably the worst software I have been forced to use, period. And I work with hundreds of software titles every week.

Kies = Junk

Well the first entry in this thread was December 2012 yet here we are on the 18th August 2013 and we are STILL having horrendous problems not only with updating firmware on phones but just with updating Kies software. It has taken me over an hour to update Kies and I haven't YET started to try and update the firmware on my wifes Galaxy S I9000.

I cannot believe how useless this piece of software is nor how a company that produces the Galaxy S, S2, S3 and S4 can have produced Kies!!!!!!

No I don't believe them when they blame it on the number of updates, other mobile phone companies seem to cope so why can't they.

If they're not careful everyone will turn to ODIN and Custom ROMs................at least they work, are up to date and take only minutes to flash.

I don't have an android but it looks like a standard driver elevation problem, open a command prompt as admin and run this command:

net localgroup Administrators "local service" /add

unplug and replug your phone.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

On the phone, make sure USB debugging is turned on. That is the solution that has worked for a LOT of people. It is mostly a driver related issue, but USB debugging seems to help for many people. I've used it to help a fair number of people upgrade to 4.1.2 via KIES(instead of OTA).

Total lies, Kies is an inferior quality programme and Samsung are incapable of repairing an obvious bug in their software.I will not purchase Samsung or any product that requires Kies as an interface between your pc and phone/tab.

I have tried to connect on three different computer, my Samsung galaxy ace 11 s5883 on window XP and window vista as well as window 8.1 always the same issue nothing is happening I think Samsung is not a serious company and Kies is just a baby play software that does not work for grown up pro like us. Never again will buy a Samsung or android phone will change soon for window phone Nokia, I will be sure it works without all this lost time and aggravation and a much better support from Nokia none like Samsung that does not address this issue.

I just succeeded after several hours. I removed the MicroSD card first. I don't know if that was necessary, but nothing else was working at that stage.
    Then with the phone connected to the USB port of the computer, I did a Restart of the phone. (Galaxy S2). The computer found a new device (the phone !!!) and installed new drivers !!!
    And this after installing new drivers several times from the Kies troubleshooting page !!!
    And then it worked !!! I still can't believe it. That's the reason for all the exclamation marks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12