Kies connectivity problem explained by Samsung.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying for 3 days to get my new GS3 to talk with Kies, trying 2 different Window 7 PCs. I can connect via wifi, but the MTP driver never gets properly installed by Window, so I cna not connect via USB.

I just spoke with Samsung and they said that "due to many updates going out" their Kies servers have all but shut down. He said that even though i downloaded Kies along with drivers, the program has to communicate with Samsung servers to install them. He said to try back in a few days and it should work fine. Are you buying this explanation?

Last edited:

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying for 3 days to get my new GS3 to talk with Kies, trying 2 different Window 7 PCs. I can connect via wifi, but the MTP driver never gets properly installed by Window, so I cna not connect via USB.

I just spoke with Samsung and they said that "due to many updates going out" their Kies servers have all but shut down. He said that even though i downloaded Kies along with drivers, the program has to communicate with Samsung servers to install them. He said to try back in a few days and it should work fine. Are you buying this explanation?
Do you by any chance have a USB Utilities in settings, like on the GS2? Try switching it on and connecting. Thats baloney what Samsung is saying. I had my brothers S3 connected today with no issues. I was just showing him the software and reminding him to backup his GS3's once in a while.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that I got bad info from Samsung on this problem. I don't think it is related to their servers being busy.

In my Windows 7 (64bit) PC, the exact driver that fails to install is listed as the "Samsung MTP mobile device". MTP is the newer USB protocol... Mobile Transfer Protocol that is used in the GS3. I have tried using Kies on 2 PCs in my house and on both, Windows can not load this driver.

but yester day, my daughter was here with her Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and we plugged it into my Win 7 PC. It immediately loaded the drivers. Note that the GS2 does not use the new MTP USB protocol. I was able to easily and quickly upgrade her GS2 Skyrocket to Ice Cream Sandwich.

So I then plugged in my GS3 and windows again failed to load the "Samsung Mobile MTP Device" driver. So I am now thinking that Samsung has some problems with this driver for Windows.

Additionally... my son was here with a laptop running Windows 8 Beta. We did not have time to install Kies, but we did plug in my GS3 to this Win 8 PC, and Windows DID install drivers, showing no failures. However, he was not able to see the GS3 in Windows Explorer.

I can connect my GS3 to my Win 7 PC via the wifi, but all of the Kies features are not available, and when Jelly Bean is available, you will have to use USB (not wifi) to install it with Kies.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
OK... latest update on this adventure...

I spoke with Samsung again today.

Level One support walked me though a bunch of things that I had already done, and after 20 minutes they kicked me up to Level Two.

Level three tried a couple more things then decided a factory reset was needed. After that, I still have the problem and Level Two gave up. They gave me a file number and said that someone in Product Development would call me in a couple of days.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
OK... Today, Samsung gave up on my connectivity problem and asked me to send the GS3 to them for repair. I chose to return it to Best Buy instead. They game me another one with no problem.

I took it home and immediately plugged it into my PC and it connected just fine.

HOWEVER... Best Buy had not put my old 8gb micro SD card back in, and that's the way I connected to my PC. Now I wish that one of the things I tried with my first GS3 was to connect WITHOUT the SD card. It is about 2 years old. I wonder if there is a problem with older SD cards (or perhaps how they were formatted) and the newer MTP USB protocol used on the GS3.

I'm a little afraid of putting the old SD card back in and trying to connect again. My new 32gb class 10 micro SD card will be here tomorrow. I'll format that in the GS3 and then try connecting again to my PC.

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
OK... Today, Samsung gave up on my connectivity problem and asked me to send the GS3 to them for repair. I chose to return it to Best Buy instead. They game me another one with no problem.

I took it home and immediately plugged it into my PC and it connected just fine.

HOWEVER... Best Buy had not put my old 8gb micro SD card back in, and that's the way I connected to my PC. Now I wish that one of the things I tried with my first GS3 was to connect WITHOUT the SD card. It is about 2 years old. I wonder if there is a problem with older SD cards (or perhaps how they were formatted) and the newer MTP USB protocol used on the GS3.

I'm a little afraid of putting the old SD card back in and trying to connect again. My new 32gb class 10 micro SD card will be here tomorrow. I'll format that in the GS3 and then try connecting again to my PC.

Where did you get your drivers? My MTP driver won't load correctly.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried several ways and Windows 7 (64 bit) always failed to load the MTP driver. I let Windows try to find it... I downloaded/installed it directly from Samsungs site... I let Kies re-install the drivers through the "connectivity troubleshoot" feature...

Just for the heck of it, try removing the SD card and plugging in!

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Nope, still didn't work. It still says there is a problem with the INF file for the driver.

Oh well, guess I'll call Samsung tomorrow.

Thanks

zeteo

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my Mac Book Pro. I can connect wirelessly. But not with USB.

I removed the 32g class 4 memory card which I bought with the phone and it connected almost immediately. So I guess I need to replace the memory card.

litlprince

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
not sure what all the complaining is about. I just plug mine in (W7 desktop) and yes the phone says there is no software blah blah blah installed but after a good 20-30 seconds the computer recognizes both the phone and sd card and asks to open them in explorer.

No problems on my end.. No kies needed.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Complaining... It simply is or was not working for many. I believe it may be related to the formatting of the micro SD cards.

Also... you should look into being sure that Kes works via USB with your GS3. According to Samsung, when Jelly been is released for the GS3, it will have to been done through Kies AND ONLY via a USB cable. All of Kies' features do not work via wifi, including major firmware upgrades.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Original poster here again... I finally got around to inserting my original "Transend" 8gb micro SD card into my replacement GS3. I then formatted it in the phone. I then connected it to my PC with Kies running. Windows can still read the phone's storage, but it would not connect with Kies. I removed the SD card and it connected to Kies just fine. I'm still guessing that some of the older micro SD cards are not compatible with the MTP USB protocol in the GS3. I am very curious now to see if my new SD card (arriving in a day or two) will work!

BigTimmeh

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
i got something for you all to try.. it worked for me soo far... for connecting to usb....
1) make sure you got the cord that came with it and that its not in a usb 3 port...
2) disable wireless connections on the phone
3) also try running kies as admin
if those don't work still try going to Samsung.com and use their usb driver and install that... (make sure to launch it as admin)
also try restarting the computer but plug in the phone right before you log on to your computer account
im running windows 7 64 and just got the SGS3 32g

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz