1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Linux - SG S3 - Why can't I transfer files?

I came to an Android phone because the iphone wouldn't do anything with my linux system, and linux is all that I run.

I'm running Mepis Linux 11 (updated).

Linux Mark 2.6.36-1-mepis64-smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 31 15:10:33 CDT 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have plenty of RAM (16Gb) and plenty of disk space (400Gb free on /home). Neither is an issue.
    I have learned that the SG S3 does not do direct USB file transfers so I can't just mount the phone, but instead uses mtp. I have the mtp software installed.

I try to mount the phone with the following command (media/s3 is an existing mountpoint):

$mtpfs -o allow_other /media/s3

When I try to access the mountpoint, I get the following error:
    $ cd /media/s3
    bash: cd: /media/s3: Transport endpoint is not connected
    So, I can't bring my podcasts or music into the S3.

What do I need to do to enable file transfers via the usb cable under linux?

Thanks,
    Mark

Default Re: Linux - SG S3 - Why can't I transfer files?

I'm using ubuntu and have no issues transferring files on my home pc, but for some reason it's hit or miss with my work ubuntu machine - running the same version of ubuntu. I've taken to transferring in one of two preferred ways. One is to remove my sdhc card and use the little adapter it came with. The other is making my phone an ftp server. ES File explorer is a free app and has an awesome built in ftp server. Just setup the account in ES's remote settings and enable it and you can easily connect and transfer away. It isn't as fast as a cable or the sd card adapter transfer but it sure makes things easy. Once done simply turn off remote access in ES File Explorer. Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech