Potential Switch from Iphone 4S to S3?

mowbr4

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and potentially answer a few of my questions. I have had an iPhone ever since the iPhone 3GS. I have enjoyed my iPhone and think it's a great piece of hardware. However, I am beginning to grow tired of the same OS and same look/feel of the phone. I have been reading a lot of reviews about the Galaxy S3 and it sounds great. I do have a few questions about my potential switch.

- I am in the middle of my AT&T Plan with 13 months remaining. What would your suggestion be to keep my pricing as cheap as possible? (e.g. buy an unlocked phone, cancel my plan, etc.). I am currently grandfathered into the Unlimited Data Plan

- Should I keep my iPhone or sell it (e.g. eBay, Craigslist) to put towards the S3 price?

Also, I will take any other opinions also.

Thanks everyone!

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You don't say what you have now but I suspect a 4S due to the contract length. It might not be popular here but I personally would stay with the 4S for another 6-7 months (closer to contract end time) and then begin negotiating with AT&T about an upgrade. In the next 6-7 months there will be many new phones with better hardware and updated operating systems (even the iPhone 5). I would expect it to be very expensive to jump now at this stage of your contract. Of course there will be people here that will tell you that you can get out of the contract if you are annoying enough, loud enough, and persistent enough and I don't know you so that might be you, it just isn't me. I can tell you that with Jelly Bean out now and Android 5 on the horizon (maybe this year) that the Android space will be much different in the next half year which might make the wait worth it.

My SIII is being delivered today so I can say this but then my BB contract was up so it did not cost me much to make the jump...

Mike

danbee46

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I just went from an iPhone 4 to the S3. Fortunately, my contract was up and I had an upgrade coming so I got the S3 for $199. I then sold my i4 on eBay for $225 --- not bad at all. It sold less than 60 seconds after it was posted. I don't think that's usual - I just really lucked out. So far I love this phone.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You definitely won't regret it. Expandable memory. Dual core 1.5Ghz processor with 2GB RAM. The GS3 is smoking in comparison to your old device which is very competitive but, after some time with the new phone, you won't even remember it.

mowbr4

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing, I know that I want to do it. I just don't want to pay $$$$ like crazy for it. I think if I sell my iPhone 4s 64GB, I could get around 500-550 for it.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from iPhone 4. Not missing Apple one bit. I was up for upgrade and the SIII was 199 as an upgrade. I traded my 2 year old iPhone 4 at Bestbuy for the SIII. The trade covered the upgrade. You may want to check out Bestbuy's website and see what they value your 4S.

Not sure how much the SIII will cost you or if that would be worth it.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a iPhone 4S and the Galaxy S3 on AT&T. Since picking up the GS3, I haven't even touched the 4S. In my opinion, the GS3 beats the iPhone in every single category.

mowbr4

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of just purchasing it from AT&T without a contract and keeping my iPhone (in case I regret it) and switch the sim cards.

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I traded in my iPhone 4s to best buy and they gave me 350 bucks and was able to get the GS3 for 200 since I was eligible for upgrade.. So I made 150 bucks on that deal :).. This phone is awesome and I don't regret making the trade. The IOS6 preview didn't impress me at all so I jumped ship back to android for this beast of a device.

sharky2006

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Do whatever you can to get this phone, I came from a 32gb iPhone 4S... I'd recommend this phone to ANYONE well maybe not a first time smartphone buyer unless the were tech savvy

Tommytong

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys. Do you know if its possible to just switch my sim from my 4s to the S3?

Hi there.

I recently just switched from an iphone 4S 32GB white to a S3 (both on AT&T). I was in the similar predicament in that sense that I still had probably 14 months left to go on my contract.
I was able to sell my iphone 4S for $350 (phone still in great condition) on Craigslist. I had a ton of inquiries when i posted. It's amazing how well the phone holds its value. So I ended up buying the S3 for $550 without tax, so I ended up paying an extra $200+ out of pocket.

Not a bad deal... the SIM from the iphone 4S will work in the S3.

As for switching from iOS to Android platform, it does take a while to get use to. My gripes so far is the random crashing of applications and installing updates of some apps can break certain things (such as notifications). Oh it does suck not being able to port over any app store purchases to Android.

Android OS does take a while to get use to, but once you play around with it and customize the way you want, it's great! I love the customization and the ability to tinker around with everything.

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Iphone 4s uses a micro sim card and galaxy s 3 uses a regular sim card. plus you need an LTE sim card which the iPhone 4s does not have.

mowbr4

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi there.

I recently just switched from an iphone 4S 32GB white to a S3 (both on AT&T). I was in the similar predicament in that sense that I still had probably 14 months left to go on my contract.
I was able to sell my iphone 4S for $350 (phone still in great condition) on Craigslist. I had a ton of inquiries when i posted. It's amazing how well the phone holds its value. So I ended up buying the S3 for $550 without tax, so I ended up paying an extra $200+ out of pocket.

Not a bad deal... the SIM from the iphone 4S will work in the S3.

As for switching from iOS to Android platform, it does take a while to get use to. My gripes so far is the random crashing of applications and installing updates of some apps can break certain things (such as notifications). Oh it does suck not being able to port over any app store purchases to Android.

Android OS does take a while to get use to, but once you play around with it and customize the way you want, it's great! I love the customization and the ability to tinker around with everything.

Thanks. I was thinking of doing something very similar. Just don't want to regret getting rid of my iPhone, I don't think I will though.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and potentially answer a few of my questions. I have had an iPhone ever since the iPhone 3GS. I have enjoyed my iPhone and think it's a great piece of hardware. However, I am beginning to grow tired of the same OS and same look/feel of the phone. I have been reading a lot of reviews about the Galaxy S3 and it sounds great. I do have a few questions about my potential switch.

- I am in the middle of my AT&T Plan with 13 months remaining. What would your suggestion be to keep my pricing as cheap as possible? (e.g. buy an unlocked phone, cancel my plan, etc.). I am currently grandfathered into the Unlimited Data Plan

- Should I keep my iPhone or sell it (e.g. eBay, Craigslist) to put towards the S3 price?

Also, I will take any other opinions also.

Thanks everyone!
Do exactly what you are doing, and wait until your contract is up. Keep reading these forums, and learn as much as you can about android. By the time that your contract is up, newer android phones will have hit the market. Don't sell your iPhone until about a month after you purchase an android. Good luck.:)

Raneciansamaiya

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I traded in my iPhone 4s to best buy and they gave me 350 bucks and was able to get the GS3 for 200 since I was eligible for upgrade.. So I made 150 bucks on that deal :).. This phone is awesome and I don't regret making the trade. The IOS6 preview didn't impress me at all so I jumped ship back to android for this beast of a device.

I did the exact same thing. I have been an Apple girl since the iPhone 3G, iPod classic, and my MacBook Pro. I too seen IOS 6 preview and wasn't impressed. I have Best Buy reward zone and I pretty much almost all my electronics from Best Buy, went in and had them look my iPhone 4S up to see the trade in value and right then I pre ordered my SGIII. Since I made the switch I haven't nothing but smiles. Only thing I don't like is the syncing. I miss iTunes. :( Kies is okay, but Im not sure if i wanna go playing for all these apps to sync my music. I'm new to android so I'm doing my research first. I lived in the Apple store. If it wasn't my battery it was my phone freezing or another issue. Till they just flat out said that the battery on the iPhone 4S is not as good as the iPhone 4. My iPhone never last me 8 hours, my SGIII.... I get at minimum 12 hours before recharging. I do miss the simple things on the iPhone likes folders, deleting apps, and a few other things that apple made very simple. Android takes some getting used to. But in my opinion.... The switch was a major plus.