Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
Like Tree9Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    Yes I was talking about logging into the apps. Got it everyone. Thanks.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Register and log in to what? The apps? No, you don't have to log into the apps. But you can only disable the apps that came with the phone (system apps). Anything that you installed you can just uninstall.

    To disable an app that came with the phone, perform these steps:

    1. Pull down the notification bar and locate the little gear/sprocket icon in the top right corner. Tap it. The settings will open.
    2. Scroll down until you see Application Manager. Tap it. The application settings will open. Notice that at the top of the screen, there are three tabs: Downloaded, Running, and All. Tap All to view all the apps on the phone.
    3. Scroll down until you find a system app that you want to disable (like S-Voice, S-Memo, AT&T Navigator, etc.). Tap the name of the app and a settings window for that app will open.
    4. At the top of the settings page, you will see the name of the app and its icon. Immediately under that will be two buttons: Force Stop and Disable. If the app has been updated at all, the second button will instead be Uninstall Updates. If it says Disable, tap it to disable it. If the button is labeled Uninstall Updates, then tap it and uninstall the updates. After the app reverts, that second button should now be labeled Disable. Tap it to disable the app.


    For apps that you have installed, you can use this same method to uninstall them. Open the settings for the specific app and tap the Uninstall button.

    Hope that clears things up.

    Oh, and a word of warning: if you don't know what something is...DON'T disable or uninstall it.
    thanks for that detailed post!
    Thanked by 2:
  3. #28  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    here is a doc with apps safe to remove/freeze(disable) and some description. Most of them require you to be rooted and using titanium backup. There are a few that dont require root and can be disabled via application manager. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&pli=1#gid=0 AND xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][XXBLG1][20Jul] Omega v9.1 ●►Omega Files Kitchen◄●Custom Install●►4 Themes◄●
    Last edited by 21plays; 07-25-2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: grammer
    Thanked by 2:
  4. #29  
    naviwilliams's Avatar
    Distinguished

    Posts
    937 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,410 Global Posts

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    I reloaded my device yesterday, and before a whole bunch of updates and the likes, I disabled lots of apps
  5. #30  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    Does anyone know if by disabling S Voice, do you gain back the normal Google voice actions capabilities?
  6. #31  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    thanks, just went thru and disabled a bunch of apps on my new sg3
  7. #32  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    thanks guys- great thread. is there a way to disable 'internet' browser - i use chrome. also what about s memo, the voicemail app on sprint and sprint connection manager? thanks!
  8. #33  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    Originally Posted by Covart<br />
    Just so you know, disabling S-Voice also prevents you from making any changes to 'Language and Input' under Settings. In fact, trying to click on it will cause a FC, every time. Enjoy.
    <br />
    <br />
    Worked fine for me.
    No problems with me here.
    Sent from a Galaxy S2 Far Far Away...
  9. #34  
    winmod21's Avatar

    Posts
    472 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    Thanks to the OP for this thread. Very Interesting.

    Okay, I just disabled all these apps. . .

    AllShare Play
    AT&T Navigator
    ChatON
    DeviceHelp
    Flipboard
    Kies air
    Media Hub
    S Suggest
    S Voice
    Samsung Backup Provider
    Samsung Cloud Data Relay
    Samsung Cloud Syncadapter
    SNS (facebook?)
    YPmobile

    . . .and if I'm not mistaken, it seems like there's a slight delay when I now click on anything in 'Settings'. There's no delay going to Settings. But once there, no matter what I tap in the Settings menus.....the touch/highlight seems to flash for a half-a-second or so. Or, am I just imagining it, and it was already like that? I don't know!

    [Edit] . . .
    Oppps! . . .just noticed that the 'World Clock', in the stock clock app, has a frozen globe view when initially opened-up; the globe won't spin; then upon backing-out to 'Add City' and then going back to the (spinning globe view)sic...it's just black, with no globe at all. After backing-out and coming back again...the globe appears but is flashing wildy. lol

    Any ideas which app may be suspect? Guess I'll just re-enable them one at a time, to see which one lets the globe stop acting up.

    [Update] . . .
    It doesn't seem to be any of these, as I re-enabled them, to no avail, (unless I should have rebooted?):
    AllShare Play
    AT&T Navigator
    Samsung Backup Provider
    Samsung Cloud Data Relay
    Samsung Cloud Syncadapter
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 10-24-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: update
  10. #35  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    You can either Flash Rom to remove the bloatware apps or install a launcher such as Apex and hide the apps in the drawer. Your choice. I did the latter one. I don't like messing with my device.
  11. #36  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    I was curious about the "bloatware". When I look at my Battery usage, none of these bloatware Apps are showing up as draining the battery. In that case, is going through the hassle of uninstalling them, then "disabling" them, pointless? My concern is to just minimize battery usage, but my "Battery" section shows that none of them are bleeding any of it.... of course, unless that Battery-usage data is not usually too accurate? Thanks.
    jonny12345 likes this.
  12. #37  
    starleaf1's Avatar

    Posts
    39 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock 4.0.4

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    Hmm... I can't seem to disable AllShare.
    The button is greyed out.
    I haven't updated it or anything. Maybe because it is curently not running in the first place?
  13. #38  
    grunt0300's Avatar

    Posts
    923 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    I'm running stock, and i've disabled nothing. I accept all updates, even the apps that i don't use. I believe that if the app isn't opened, it's using little or no juice. Now, with medium use, my battery is at 35%-40% by the end of the day. That works for me.
    P.S. I've added Earth Rot Live Wallpaper to my home screen, with no visible loss in battery drain.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  14. #39  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mg

    Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Register and log in to what? The apps? No, you don't have to log into the apps. But you can only disable the apps that came with the phone (system apps). Anything that you installed you can just uninstall.

    To disable an app that came with the phone, perform these steps:

    1. Pull down the notification bar and locate the little gear/sprocket icon in the top right corner. Tap it. The settings will open.
    2. Scroll down until you see Application Manager. Tap it. The application settings will open. Notice that at the top of the screen, there are three tabs: Downloaded, Running, and All. Tap All to view all the apps on the phone.
    3. Scroll down until you find a system app that you want to disable (like S-Voice, S-Memo, AT&T Navigator, etc.). Tap the name of the app and a settings window for that app will open.
    4. At the top of the settings page, you will see the name of the app and its icon. Immediately under that will be two buttons: Force Stop and Disable. If the app has been updated at all, the second button will instead be Uninstall Updates. If it says Disable, tap it to disable it. If the button is labeled Uninstall Updates, then tap it and uninstall the updates. After the app reverts, that second button should now be labeled Disable. Tap it to disable the app.


    For apps that you have installed, you can use this same method to uninstall them. Open the settings for the specific app and tap the Uninstall button.

    Hope that clears things up.

    Oh, and a word of warning: if you don't know what something is...DON'T disable or uninstall it.
    For some apps, S Memo for example, there is a "Disable" button, but it is not active.
  15. #40  
    winmod21's Avatar

    Posts
    472 Posts
    ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starpower11 View Post
    I was curious about the "bloatware". When I look at my Battery usage, none of these bloatware Apps are showing up as draining the battery. In that case, is going through the hassle of uninstalling them, then "disabling" them, pointless? My concern is to just minimize battery usage, but my "Battery" section shows that none of them are bleeding any of it.... of course, unless that Battery-usage data is not usually too accurate? Thanks.
    I've had these (32) apps disabled (not uninstalled, just disabled) for well over a month now, with no issues:

    AllShare Controller
    AllShare Play
    AT&T Messages
    AT&T Navigator
    Bubbles
    ChatON
    Clock (funky)
    Clock (modern)
    Dual Clock (analog)
    Dual Clock (digital)
    Face Unlock
    Flipboard
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Movies
    Google Play Music
    Googe Search
    Luminous dots
    Media Hub
    My AT&T
    Phase beam
    Samsung account
    Samsung Backup Provider
    Samsung Cloud Data Relay
    Samsung Syncadapters
    SNS
    Street View
    Talk
    TalkBack
    Trim
    Yahoo Finance
    Yahoo News
    YPMobile

    . . .didn't record spec's before & after, but my battery performance seems to have definitely improved. Although I'm not sure if disabling any of these apps had anything to do with it. Nevertheless, however the higher battery performance was brought about, it's now running sweeter than ever!
  16. #41  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    I just disabled:
    AllShare Play
    AT&T Navigator
    ChatON
    Flipboard
    Kies Air
    Media Hub
    SNS
    YPMobile

    Went into Google Chrome afterward to watch a video and discovered Flash videos no longer work. I've gone and enabled everything I disabled, but I'm still not getting flash to work through Chrome now. It works fine in the Internet app, but not in Chrome anymore.

    Any suggestions?
  17. #42  
    D16RR's Avatar

    Posts
    261 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    Run it on the internet app. It never worked on chrome. On the plus side, you have vivid dreams. In flash even!

    Quote Originally Posted by CozierZebra View Post
    I just disabled:
    AllShare Play
    AT&T Navigator
    ChatON
    Flipboard
    Kies Air
    Media Hub
    SNS
    YPMobile

    Went into Google Chrome afterward to watch a video and discovered Flash videos no longer work. I've gone and enabled everything I disabled, but I'm still not getting flash to work through Chrome now. It works fine in the Internet app, but not in Chrome anymore.

    Any suggestions?
  18. #43  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    It did work in Chrome lol. I know because I was upset that after finding a way to get flash videos to play that they wouldn't work in Firefox. I settled for Chrome and now I can't even get that going again.

    I tried reinstalling Firefox just for kicks and now it works in Firefox.
  19. #44  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    It works again! Thanks for the assistance anyway!
  20. #45  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    Thanks for the info.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    I like to root in stock and just uninstall apps through that. Does anyone have a list of safely removable apps?

    I saw this:

    AllShare Controller
    AllShare Play
    AT&T Messages
    AT&T Navigator
    Bubbles
    ChatON
    Clock (funky)
    Clock (modern)
    Dual Clock (analog)
    Dual Clock (digital)
    Face Unlock
    Flipboard
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Movies
    Google Play Music
    Googe Search
    Luminous dots
    Media Hub
    My AT&T
    Phase beam
    Samsung account
    Samsung Backup Provider
    Samsung Cloud Data Relay
    Samsung Syncadapters
    SNS
    Street View
    Talk
    TalkBack
    Trim
    Yahoo Finance
    Yahoo News
    YPMobile


    I would uninstall all of that, but I want to get it as clean as a Custom ROM.
  22. #47  
    KreepyKen's Avatar
    Just a cool guy

    Posts
    390 Posts
    ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    Quote Originally Posted by moify View Post
    I like to root in stock and just uninstall apps through that. Does anyone have a list of safely removable apps?
    If you don't know what something is, make sure you disable it first, just to make sure your phone runs fine without it. If you uninstall something that the phone needs, you'll be in trouble.
    Uncle Reemus likes this.
  23. #48  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    In the app info why is force close button enabled on some of the non-running apps?
  24. #49  

    Default Re: What BLOATware should I disable in Settings | applications mgr?

    this is an absolute waste of time. Download GSAM Battery Monitor Pro. This will tell you whats sucking the life out of your battery! More than half of these apps dont even run!!! Wasting your time!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions