Finally pulled the trigger

gkamer

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I suspect Darth Job would not be happy to learn one of his minions jumped ship and joined the rebel alliance, but I pulled the trigger and picked up the Samsung Galaxy S-III, pebble blue.

I think I made a pretty good deal. I went to my local ATT store where they had it for $199.00 with a 2 year contract. I had an iPhone 3GS. They had a promotion wherein I could cash in my old iPhone and apply that to the cost of the phone. I asked the sales rep what they would give me on my old phone. He hooked it up to his computer and came back with an offer of $95.00.

So the phone ended up costing me $123.00 instead of $199.00, so I was pretty happy wit that. I am learning my way around the phone, but so far I have run into what I consider a major stumbling block.

The phone will not maintain connection to my home network for more than about 5 minutes.
Then I have to go in and mess around with wifi to get it to connect again. With my iPhone, as soon as it go into range it connected and stayed that way. I'm using the same settings on this phone. I checked my router settings and the IP Address and MAC address match the phones.

I'm about to pull my hair out. But I need to be connected to my wifi because I live in the sticks and the best I can do out here is Edge via ATT Data.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you remove the network from your phone? Then, try removing the battery...replace the battery...power up the phone and re-add the network access...may not help or even make sense but it could not hurt. I have absolutely no issues with my wireless network.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
...also, restart your router. How old is that router? Maybe a firmware update is needed.

Lastly, in the settings for the WIFI on the device, go to advanced, and change the band to 2.4, instead of auto. But, this is mainly if you have an old router. Most newer routers support 'all', including the new 'N'.

Oh, where are my manners. Welcome to Android! Don't get frustrated with it. Coming from Apple takes a moment to get use to everything. I'm schooling my missus as we speak ;)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You may want to invest in a Cisco wireless extender as well which will boost the signal to other parts of the home where the signal may be weak.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Welcome aboard sir, I finally pulled the trigger myself a couple of weeks back, and couldn't be happier. As an iOS user, I will advice you to download Swiftkey 3, or the new Jellybean keyboard to save yourself the headache of the atrocious keyboard that ships with the S3. Owning the S3 is like having a tricked out jailbroken iPhone with an insanely massive 4.8" display! Good luck, hope you enjoy your new device! :D

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Agree with Chris. Converted with the gsii last fall. Love the SwiftKey keyboard, especially the voice recognition. I could never go back to a small screen.

Also no problems with wifi anymore.
At first I had problems reconnecting after reentering my wifi area. No problems now and didn't change a thing. Maybe it's just a slow learner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

gkamer

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Holy Moley.... What a response. Thanks guys makes a guy feel welcomed. Well I think I found the solution to my problem. I don't want to take credit I don't deserve, so I'll post a link to a page I found that seems to have resolved the problem:

Samsung Galaxy S3 WiFi Problem Fix | Galaxy S3 Reviews

Since I applied the procedure, my wifi has been holding rock steady. As I said, being out in the sticks, an ATT Edge connection was NOT going to get the job done. That in itself would have been a deal breaker for this phone. But now that I got that worked out (at least it appears so), I'll be moving on to exploring some more of the phone.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.:D

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
gkamer,

Excellent link!! I had been wondering why the device was losing connection and then regaining it when I tried to use it. I will have to check to see what/how it impacts battery life now.

BTW, even if you weren't out in the sticks you would still want to use the WiFi whenever possible to keep off your data plan. Use cell data when you can't get a WiFi connection almost always.

Mike

Last edited:

gkamer

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
gkamer,

Excellent link!! I had been wondering why the device was losing connection and then regaining it when I tried to use it. I will have to check to see what/how it impacts battery life now.

BTW, even if you weren't out in the sticks you would still want to use the WiFi whenever possible to keep off your data plan. Use cell data when you can't get a WiFi connection almost always.

Mike

I never in a million yers would have know to do this. And here it is, the next day and I'm still locked in rock steady to my network. I don't know how it will effect battery life either, but here at home I can stay plugged in if I need to, so that is not a major concern fo me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow