Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bummed out text deal

Well I'm kind of bummed out. When I got my data plan for the iPhone, text messaging was not included. I'm not a real big texter, but I do send out texts occasionally. So I signed up for ATT $5.00 plan for 200 texts a month, well more then what I actually needed, but at only $5.00 bucks I could not go wrong.

So now I find out that was a deal reserved for the iPhone data plan. Under Android, if I want text messaging, I have to sign up for the unlimited plan at $20.00 bucks a month! I don't think I ever sent more then 60 texts in 1 month. Othewise it's like 20 cents a text message. That's insane. And to top if off, ATT sent me a text message today thanking me for renewing my contract. Do I have to pay for that?

My newphew's really burned up my text messag allotment, but they are not real big on email. I sent one an email wishing him a happy 4th birthday. He finally replied back thanking me. And informing me he just graduated high school and asked for an iPhone touch. I told him to go ask his father.

So I guess I'm gonna have to break down and toss the Robber Baron's another 20 bucks.

Global Posts
    769 Global Posts

Default Re: Bummed out text deal

That deal isn't reserved for the iPhone but unfortunately that is their way of forcing you to cancel your $5 200 texts a month plan for a pricer one. Services like iMessage really threw a wrench into AT&T's plans causing them to change their texting plans. The sad thing is, texting costs them relatively nothing but this is their way of stiff arming the consumer.

How about using Google Voice to text. It's free. Downside is that you'll need to tell people to call you on one number and text a different one. It works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Bummed out text deal

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    So now I find out that was a deal reserved for the iPhone data plan. Under Android, if I want text messaging, I have to sign up for the unlimited plan at $20.00 bucks a month! I don't think I ever sent more then 60 texts in 1 month. Othewise it's like 20 cents a text message. That's insane. And to top if off, ATT sent me a text message today thanking me for renewing my contract. Do I have to pay for that?
    That unlimited text plan should also include unlimited mobile to any mobile calling. Mine does.