Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jcp007
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I'm about to return my S3, please help

    Greetings. After testing the water with a GNex for a week, I was so impressed with Android I locked myself with AT&T for another two years and bought an S3. It's been almost two weeks with the S3. There are issues that I'm willing to overlook for the overall package, but there are three issues that are completely driving me insane that I might return the S3 for.

    1. The S3 is auto-adding every single misspelled words into the my word list. The only way I find to stop it is to turn off predictive text, which turns everything off including basic spell checking.

    2. I copy and paste a lot in the email app. The left text selection handle is upside down, so I can't see where my text selection begins unless I place my left thumb nearly upside down on the screen. It is the same way in the browser, but it's less of an issue in the browser since it brings up the magnifying glass. In the Gmail app the text selection handles are the way they should be.

    3. Getting and syncing new email in the email app is horribly slow. Typically it would sit there with the spinning circle for a minute (or longer) before new messages come in. Half the time it would look like it finished syncing but no new email is there, but I would have 3 new messages in my inbox. The other times I would read and reply and delete an email, but on my computer that email is still unread on the browser. This behavior is not consistent as there are times syncing is instant. Gmail does not have this problem. And somewhat related, sometimes the new email notification doesn't automatically clear up after I read a new email, this happens on Gmail as well.

    I really love this phone, but these three issues are absolutely driving me insane and I'm ready to pack it up and return it. Please someone tell me these issues are because I don't know what I'm doing. I posted this on xda as well but I'm not sure if that forum is appropriate for this kind of general issues.

    I would appreciate any help of this.
  2. #2  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,329 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    1) Yes it can be turned off VIA the keyboard settings. You also may wanna look for a better keyboard for the phone. Having one that's a public release allows you to use it on any device. Therefor when you get used to it and you change phones the keyboard does not. I'd look into the new Swipe beta or SwiftKey. I swear by SwiftKey my self.

    2) I don't copy and paste all that much. Someone else will have to chime in for that.

    3) I have never seen that issue. Email for me seems to be working just fine. Now I have done some reading about others with issues like this with email. They may have a fix for it.

    I think over all they are pretty minor issues and very fixable. I'm sure others may have even more or better ideas than I have! Give it just a little bit more time. Over all the release of the S3 went very well in my book. Samsung seems ready to support it!

    Hope everything works out for you. If not and if this phone turns out NOT to be the phone for you then that's fine too. No such thing as a perfect device yeah!?

    Good luck!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    I looked and looked to see how I can stop it from adding every misspelled word in there. The only way I found is to turn off predictive text which turns everything off including basic spell check. I was shocked when I first looked at the my word list to see all kinds of gibberish in there. My phone is complete stock. I reverted all settings to factory defaults to no avail.

    I just installed ICS keyboard and that does in fact work much better. But I'm the paranoid type, even before seeing the warning message about alternate keyboard captures every keystroke I enter that I know this is a security hole.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    1) Yes it can be turned off VIA the keyboard settings. You also may wanna look for a better keyboard for the phone. Having one that's a public release allows you to use it on any device. Therefor when you get used to it and you change phones the keyboard does not. I'd look into the new Swipe beta or SwiftKey. I swear by SwiftKey my self.

    2) I don't copy and paste all that much. Someone else will have to chime in for that.

    3) I have never seen that issue. Email for me seems to be working just fine. Now I have done some reading about others with issues like this with email. They may have a fix for it.

    I think over all they are pretty minor issues and very fixable. I'm sure others may have even more or better ideas than I have! Give it just a little bit more time. Over all the release of the S3 went very well in my book. Samsung seems ready to support it!

    Hope everything works out for you. If not and if this phone turns out NOT to be the phone for you then that's fine too. No such thing as a perfect device yeah!?

    Good luck!
  4. #4  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    I am following a similar mindset as cgardner here, but I'll try to give some helpful tips from my side of things too.

    1) That stock keyboard just seems to be really bad in almost every way. I'm really not a fan of it. I also swear by Swiftkey. It has been a fantastic app for me (customizable skins to make it look professional for me, and just beautiful auto correction.) That keyboard really does work very well. Far better than any I've used on a phone before. I recommend using the 1 month free trial of it in the playstore. It will give you a good way to see if its the right thing for you, and if it isn't, no harm done.

    2) I don't copy and paste much either, but I was curious if you would run into the same issues if you weren't using stock browser/ email. I personally use firefox, and K-9 mail client, and would recommend both. Maybe those will have better built in copy/ paste features. I really am not sure, but maybe worth trying.

    3) For email, I use K-9 as listed above, and it works much better for me. I had various issues with the stock browser, and an email client is the first thing I needed to find. K-9 is a little bit confusing at the start simply because they give you so many options. I now have all 3 of my emails set up in there though, and it works terrific! You can customize just about everything in that app if you take the time to go through the settings, and it consistently notifies me properly, and displays messages correctly. Maybe worth trying since it's free.

    As was mentioned before, everyone has their own preferences on phones, as well as all these apps. I hope you're able to find something you like. I know I'm loving my GS3.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    Try Super Keyboard.. I've used it since the beginning of the EVO 4G
  6. #6  

    Default

    The SwiftKey keyboard is far better than the stock keyboard. It is scary how it does a better job with predictive text nd spell check. Is anyone having issues with the long press for different characters?

    Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device
  7. #7  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp006 View Post
    The SwiftKey keyboard is far better than the stock keyboard. It is scary how it does a better job with predictive text nd spell check. Is anyone having issues with the long press for different characters?

    Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device
    No, I haven't run into any problems with the long press. I set mine to 250 ms so that I don't have to hold it down very long to get those marks. What problems are you seeing?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu Warrior View Post
    No, I haven't run into any problems with the long press. I set mine to 250 ms so that I don't have to hold it down very long to get those marks. What problems are you seeing?
    I didn't realize that you could slide your finger to select the characters. I was trying to get the characters to appear and then trying to select them.
    Zulu Warrior likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    I believe the paste bug is related to swiftkey on ICS.
    I have it on my S2 & S3
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu Warrior View Post
    No, I haven't run into any problems with the long press. I set mine to 250 ms so that I don't have to hold it down very long to get those marks. What problems are you seeing?
    Where is the setting located?

    Sent from my Nexus 7
  11. #11  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by flacousa View Post
    Where is the setting located?

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    Open swiftkey app, go into the "Advanced" menu, choose "Long-press duration" and adjust slider to fit your needs.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    The only thing I have a gripe with is email. Copy and paste is all whacked, will not receive certain email body pages. I actually can read them on my ipod, but not on the gs3. Pages expand too big and have to constantly scroll all around to read.

    I'm tired of replying back to people that I got a blank email. If I forward it to my Gmail, I can read it, but I shouldn't have to do that.

    This is one thing that android NEEDS to fix.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyDawgBoston View Post
    The only thing I have a gripe with is email. Copy and paste is all whacked, will not receive certain email body pages. I actually can read them on my ipod, but not on the gs3. Pages expand too big and have to constantly scroll all around to read.

    I'm tired of replying back to people that I got a blank email. If I forward it to my Gmail, I can read it, but I shouldn't have to do that.

    This is one thing that android NEEDS to fix.
    Try out k-9 mail. I hated that problem too. With k-9 I haven't had any problems. It has all those settings so it's kinda confusing to set up and get it all how you want. It runs my 3 emails fantastically now though and I have never had those display issues.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3, please excuse my brevity.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    Quote Originally Posted by RyDawgBoston View Post
    The only thing I have a gripe with is email. Copy and paste is all whacked, will not receive certain email body pages. I actually can read them on my ipod, but not on the gs3. Pages expand too big and have to constantly scroll all around to read.

    I'm tired of replying back to people that I got a blank email. If I forward it to my Gmail, I can read it, but I shouldn't have to do that.

    This is one thing that android NEEDS to fix.
    I am actually of the opposite point of view. I run all e-mail through GMail just to get its superior spam filtering... Hence I have none of the issues you are seeing with the e-mail client. I have to agree that if you want to access the other e-mail accounts directly K-9 is very good. I use it on my TF101.

    Mike
  15. #15  
    naviwilliams's Avatar
    Distinguished

    Posts
    937 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,420 Global Posts

    Default

    I lowered the hold time for long press of keys.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp006 View Post
    The SwiftKey keyboard is far better than the stock keyboard. It is scary how it does a better job with predictive text nd spell check. Is anyone having issues with the long press for different characters?

    Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device
    Thanked by:
    jcp007 
  16. #16  

    Default Re: I'm about to return my S3, please help

    Before you do this, try downloading the swiftkey 3 keyboard. It's spell check and predictive typing features are impressive. I use the rapid entry method and set the space bar as a means to complete the word entry. I t is one of the best apps I've come accross in a long time and will vastly improve both accuracy and speed of text entry. Good Luck!

Posting Permissions