Gallery using excessive data?!

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I just got my wife the S3. She is on a limited data plan (aren't we all). She used it for a day and after the first hour, her data usage was nearly 215 mb, all from the GALLERY app! We turned off G+ Instant Upload (had it on wifi only anyway). And we turned off picasa and Google Photo sync. Anything else? THere are NO settings in the gallery app to sync on wifi only like there is on the Nexus. I think turning off photo sync should fix it, but she was on a 200mb plan and went through it all in an hour because of this.

drakefm

May 15, 2012
Visit site
This is not a direct solution, but to help her control her data plan, there's an app called Onavo Extend that helps to compress data. It's an excellent app with overwhelming praise.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Where did you turn them off? I don't use these apps and have next to nothing in my Gallery but there are sync options for each account/profile you have added to the Accounts and Sync option in System Settings. Might look there??

Mike

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You also have System Settings -> Data Usage, you can set the data limit which will turn off Mobile data once you have reached the limit you set.

Mike

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you find a solution? I read somewhere that it could be the phone backing up data to google servers. I have a gs3 on Verizon and under settings, backup and reset there is an option to backup data to google servers. I unchecked it and will see if that helps. I thought it was Google+ but after turning off instant upload images still having the issue. The initial backup must have happened when I activated the phone at the Verizon store. Let me know if you try this and if it helps.

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have had the same issue and all of my settings for sync and Google+ instant upload shouldn't have allowed this to occur either. I fixed the situation using the data usage settings like someone mentioned above. Go to settings, data usage, click on the offending app, then scroll to the bottom of the screen and click the check box for mobile data restrictions. The app will still be able to sync when connected to wi-fi, which is cool with me.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance