Device Management Update?????

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got an AT&T notification for a Device Management Update. Is the update that disables universal search? Is it worth the update?

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got an AT&T notification for a Device Management Update. Is the update that disables universal search? Is it worth the update?

settings / about device / build number

If you have CALEM then it's probably trying to upgrade you to CALG1, which is the update that removes universal search.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I received it tonight also. I postponed it for 8 hours. How do I not install it?

Has anyone declined the update or can you?

Don't postpone it because once you do that 3 times it will auto update the next time. Instead, just hit the home button to minimize it.

I don't know what it is. Waiting on someone here to tell me what it is.

Check my first post to tell me what build number you're currently on. There's no way to tell if it's a new update or an old one you haven't gotten yet without knowing your current build.

Reactions: planoman

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The first update to the SGSIII. This is the first time I received it. The one that removes universal search. I did not see a way to decline it. I postponed it for 8 hours.

Rgreenlaw

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I just installed it and it looks oike Universal search is indeed a casualty.....Damn, I was getting used to that too.

How does Apple get a patent on that, Universal Search has been in many devices before, Palm, Windows Phone, Blackberry.

Oh Well

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I just installed it and it looks oike Universal search is indeed a casualty.....Damn, I was getting used to that too.

How does Apple get a patent on that, Universal Search has been in many devices before, Palm, Windows Phone, Blackberry.

Oh Well

It's not, Android has had it forever. I think Samsung is just being cautious but it's not a Samsung thing they need to worry about but a Google thing, and they are ready to fight it so I don't know why they are doing this. My Droid2 has it. Anyhow, there is an easy way to fix it without needing root so search it up on here and you'll be back in business.

Rev.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The only downside of any import as I understand it is that a rooted phone under the original S3 ICS 4.0.3 must be unrooted to take the upgrade to ICS 4.0.4 and once done there is no root path currently available.
So I simply run the upgrade on my rooted phone. It fails. I keep 4.0.3 even though the phone say 4.0.4, I keep the root, I keep universal search, and the upgrade notice goes away for a month or so.:p

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
THe update also has new radio's. For me it fixed bluetooth, before the update it did not work in my car, now it works great. Sure i have to run the old google search box apk. when i reboot the phone, but having bluetooth work is well worth it. :)

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The only downside of any import as I understand it is that a rooted phone under the original S3 ICS 4.0.3 must be unrooted to take the upgrade to ICS 4.0.4 and once done there is no root path currently available.
So I simply run the upgrade on my rooted phone. It fails. I keep 4.0.3 even though the phone say 4.0.4, I keep the root, I keep universal search, and the upgrade notice goes away for a month or so.:p

Are you on AT&T? I'm pretty sure AT&T shipped with 4.0.4...not really sure if the international version shipped with 4.0.3 but this is the AT&T section.

Anyways, you can root the latest AT&T version for sure. What version are you on (assuming you are AT&T)?

settings / about / build number

Should be CALEM or CAL1G - either one can be rooted with this method, just pick the appropriate package:

[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - Updated [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers] - xda-developers

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Still running CALEM....despite repeated notifications.....what else is changed with the update?

The update is said to update the LTE radio. I backed up my original googlesearchbox.apk file after delaying the update a few times. I saved the file to Google Drive & my external sd card. After updating, I reinstalled the apk file & it was as good as new.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The update is said to update the LTE radio. I backed up my original googlesearchbox.apk file after delaying the update a few times. I saved the file to Google Drive & my external sd card. After updating, I reinstalled the apk file & it was as good as new.

I am new to Android. What is the apk file and how do you back it up?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

How do you re-install it?

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Program files use the extension .apk. The file of interest is the GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk.

Download X-plore file manager from the Play store. I like this file manager because it uses a layout similar to a Windows directory tree.

Go to /root/system/app, look for GooglQuickSearchBox.apk and copy. Navigate to your storage card or Drive account and paste.

Reinstall by pressing on the file to execute the file. You will be prompted to install. You will need to go to settings and check unknown sources in the Security/Device Administrator section. This allows installation of non-Market applications.

After updating, you will have local search back. Another method is to simply install Google Gesture Search. Local search with gestures.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca