Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By SlappyMcgee
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Want to deactivate AT&T Messages APP

While playing with my new S3 I activated the AT&T Messages app. It's the app that combines call logs, messages, emails, etc..... into one icon. I don't like the "messages" UI, nor the fact tht I receive two notifications when I receive GMail.

Is there a way to deactivate this program? I've looked everywhere I can think of.

Many thanks,
    Lisa

Default Re: Want to deactivate AT&T Messages APP

Did you go into - Settings - Application Manager - All (top right) - AT&T Messages = Disable at top right. If you see "Uninstall Updates" Do this first then you should see the "Disable" button.
    Thanked by 4:

Does anyone know what the consequences will be for disabling this app?

Quote Originally Posted by mdye View Post
    Does anyone know what the consequences will be for disabling this app?
    I have had it disabled since day one of having my phone which was December, and I haven't noticed anything negative from it. Don't believe you miss anything, its just not bundled in one spot, each message or notification is in its own department ie.. VM, MMS, SMS, email.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I wanted to see what the "AT&T Messages" app was like. I did not like it at all. I followed the instructions above from SlappyMcgee - "Application Manager" --> "AT&T Messages" --> "Uninstall Updates". No "Disable" button came up for me. Probably the new Android version changed the "Uninstall" process for this app.

Anyway, after I clicked "OK" twice, it was uninstalled (at least the usage of the app). Since it is part of AT&T software pre-installed on the phone, it reverts back to the Factory version, which doesn't allow use until you activate it. You cannot totally get rid of it, but again, it cannot be used unless you activate it.

Now, I could go back to using the "Visual Voicemail" app, which I like much better. The "AT&T Messages" app is just too busy and convoluted with combining everything. I prefer everything separate. Nothing bad will happen if you follow the instructions in this post.

Thank you sooo much! I was going crazy with that app. I tend to activate it every once in a while and it annoys me not knowing how to deactivate it.. till now

Global Posts
    314 Global Posts

If you purchased your phone without a contract, shouldn't you have to option to get rid of bloatware?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts

If ATT sells it for less than an "unlocked" version you got what you paid for.

Just talked to AT&T Chat Line. This was an upgrade to the SIII which they have removed, presumably because of all the complaints. It prevented my EasyReminder app from working, prevented the light to flash when I had a missed message and was a total piece of you know what. So just uninstall the upgrade in the App Manager and it won't come back.

I did the uninstall updates for this app. Now I receive text messages multiple times randomly. It won't do it for every text, just some. then when you receive them more than once it may be 2 or 3 minutes apart. It's driving me insane! Then sometimes it doesn't even tell me when I have a new text. Please help.... I'm desperate!
    Thanked by:

This worked. Thanks!

Thanks for the help