Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Extremely Unacceptable..

So I've noticed in the past two or three days that my phone is not holding a charge. I shut my phone off and would restart it just to make sure nothing was running. So this morning I unplugged my phone and haven't used it until now. See image below.

This is definitely not acceptable. Any thoughts??

Sent from who knows where...

ROM
    Back to Stock TW

Default Re: Extremely Unacceptable..

It's your font

Seriously either you'll need to do the uninstall 3rd party apps and re-install while watching battery to find the specific app or install Juice Defender or similar. There are too many variables so it's going to take a decent bit of work on your end to locate the culprit.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phantom blazer

Maybe wipe the phone completely and start from scratch. Monitor the phone and install only the most needed apps at first and then slowly bring more into the mix.
    I've gone thru every single app and if something is running that shouldn't be I've just flat out erased every thing.
    System panel also helps me. I like to see what app is using system memory and for how long. My Battery went from 8-10 hours to about 14 after i went through everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It's just odd. I haven't installed any 3rd party apps for a while. I guess I can go through and remove what I don't use or do a system restore. Just a pita. My phone is rooted and has been for a month so I know it's not that. I also have AdFree just incase. Isn't it bad to always force close apps? Thought I read that somewhere.

One of two things, you have an app that is running constantly and draining your battery or you have a poor 4G signal that is draining the battery - and that happens on all devices. At my firm we don't yet have the 4G LTE boosters installed so our users with newer 4G blackberry's are having horrible battery drain issues. And judging from your picture cell standby seems to be using the most battery life.

I typically drain 1% over 2 hours when it's just sitting standing by. I've also disabled a bunch of included apps I don't use.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    One of two things, you have an app that is running constantly and draining your battery or you have a poor 4G signal that is draining the battery - and that happens on all devices. At my firm we don't yet have the 4G LTE boosters installed so our users with newer 4G blackberry's are having horrible battery drain issues. And judging from your picture cell standby seems to be using the most battery life.

I typically drain 1% over 2 hours when it's just sitting standing by. I've also disabled a bunch of included apps I don't use.

Rev.
    I slowly started looking at apps I don't use that I thought could drain my battery fast. So I removed those. I've also downloaded Juice Defender. I'll give it a few days. If it doesn't change I'll do a factory restore and go from there.
    I see what you're talking about with the cell stand by. It now says 22%. This changed after I restarted my phone.

Global Posts
    272 Global Posts

Try to shut off 4g and force the phone to run only 3g, for a couple days. Your phone can be killing itself searching for 4g, and not being able to connect.

This was a problem many had before on their Thunderbolts, and was easily cured by shutting off the LTE. Once a software update came out the problem was solved.

Might be worth a try.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Apps like Facebook & email, if set to update messages frequently, can cause your battery to drain faster. Even if you're not using the phone, those apps keep working around the clock. My battery life improved when I changed my notification schedule to "never." JuiceDefender seems to help too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Gav508 View Post
    Try to shut off 4g and force the phone to run only 3g, for a couple days. Your phone can be killing itself searching for 4g, and not being able to connect.

This was a problem many had before on their Thunderbolts, and was easily cured by shutting off the LTE. Once a software update came out the problem was solved.

Might be worth a try.
    I can only do that through Juice Defender correct?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by paridge View Post
    Apps like Facebook & email, if set to update messages frequently, can cause your battery to drain faster. Even if you're not using the phone, those apps keep working around the clock. My battery life improved when I changed my notification schedule to "never." JuiceDefender seems to help too.

I will change my settings and go from there.

Here are two screen shots of today. Look at the cell standby on the first one. I restarted the phone and it changed. Why is that?

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phantom blazer

It changed because you restarted it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts

Oops just posted a new thread. But what's going on with mine. Just started happening.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extremely Unacceptable..-uploadfromtaptalk1347383515326.jpg  

I wonder how widespread this is? I like many posters here had been having pretty good battery life from my phone. Within the past two weeks it has been dying overnight if I do not put it on the charger. In the past it might be down to 25-30% left but never dead. If it is not really widespread then it is probably something each of us has installed. I guess it is time to begin pulling off anything I do not use on a routine basis and see what might be causing the issue. If anyone figures it out please post...

Mike
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by jlh73 View Post
    Oops just posted a new thread. But what's going on with mine. Just started happening.

I started uninstalling apps I no longer use or what I think might be causing this. I also installed juice defender. I also turned off auto sync that checked every hour or two. Try that first.

The stock battery app is terrible and incorrect in what it say's is draining your battery. You need to install a 3rd party app to see where your battery is getting eaten up. I use GSAM battery monitor and it gives you a way better breakdown (and is free) of where your juice is going. It fleshes it out by app or process. Try that out to get an idea. My battery used to be terrible as well and this helped me fix my issues to where i last over 24 hrs on one charge with moderate usage.

Here are the differences between the stock battery app and gsam

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extremely Unacceptable..-uploadfromtaptalk1347394795408.jpg   Extremely Unacceptable..-uploadfromtaptalk1347394812360.jpg   Extremely Unacceptable..-uploadfromtaptalk1347394824031.jpg  
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Nice! I'll download that battery app and see what happens.

isnt Juice Defender Root Only?

Quote Originally Posted by Symbianblack View Post
    isnt Juice Defender Root Only?
    No it is not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

No, juice defender is not root only. I'm not rooted and have it. I use the free version too. The battery monitor is something different though. I use juice defender to help keep things in check and gsam battery monitor to see what is eating the battery.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Now I'm more pleased. With Juice Defender and the free battery app I downloaded along with removing a few apps I've noticed a huge improvement. Hopefully it stays this way. I've been moderately using my phone today.