Where is the cheapest place to buy an AT&T GS3?

darrenf

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Wal-Mart has them for $148. I bought one Friday. All the local stores had white only so they may not carry blue or red (on ATT at least - they had Sprint phones in both colors but not on sale). Also, if you're interested, the One X was just $99.

-darren

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Roscoejt

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.com *had* a deal for a couple days that were for $99. Unfortunately, the day a friend wanted to get one, the deal was gone and the price was back up to $179.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Try radio shack they usually have the better mobile deals or best buy mobile and WHO DAT AND GEAUX TIGERS LOVE FOR MY FELLOW FOOT BALL FANS SHA

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Cliffy44

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I got mine for $50.00, directly from AT&T phone customer service, when my "New Every 2" contract expired. I got 2 handsets, as Wifey also wanted one.

I couldn't get the Titanium Grey one; BUT, Powder Blue seems fine to me; especially since I already have a custom made titanium / aluminum cover for my handset that will protect it from a 20 foot drop onto concrete. The cover covers the front and the back of the handset. My GS3's should be here on September 19th, via FedEx.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
If you're an ATT customer already and have been for a while, you should call ATT customer service (Option #7) and negotiate with them. I have been with ATT over 12 years and they waived the upgrade activation fee and gave me a credit for the full amount of the CA sales tax to my service plan AND sold me the sexy garnet red phone for $50 for my single line account.

If you tell them Amazon will negotiate a similar deal they'll do something for you (though Amazon cannot waive the activation fee). And also remember that when buying a phone from a third party if you want your existing plan grandfathered (I had unlimited data and 200/text msg plan), there's no guarantees it will happen right away. When you buy from ATT it's grandfathered over instantly.

Also when you buy a phone from them when you call, there is no restocking fee if you return the phone, which you can't get when buying the phone in a corp ATT store. As you may know already, Amazon has an additional Early Termination Fee if you cancel your service contract within the first 6 months on top of ATT's ETF. Buyer beware :)

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Does Amazon charge tax for the entire unsubsidized price of the phone, because the taxes came to $46 when I added the phone to cart plus the $179 for the upgrade. Frick CA taxes.

Like jontalk said, I will give AT&T customer service a call tomorrow and maybe try sweet talking them into giving me a better deal.

BigB6T3

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
As of Saturday, Sept. 15, 2012, Amazon charges CA tax on the full price of the phone -- as well as everything else.

So yes, screw the broke-ass state of CA.

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you're an ATT customer already and have been for a while, you should call ATT customer service (Option #7) and negotiate with them. I have been with ATT over 12 years and they waived the upgrade activation fee and gave me a credit for the full amount of the CA sales tax to my service plan AND sold me the sexy garnet red phone for $50 for my single line account.

If you tell them Amazon will negotiate a similar deal they'll do something for you (though Amazon cannot waive the activation fee). And also remember that when buying a phone from a third party if you want your existing plan grandfathered (I had unlimited data and 200/text msg plan), there's no guarantees it will happen right away. When you buy from ATT it's grandfathered over instantly.

Also when you buy a phone from them when you call, there is no restocking fee if you return the phone, which you can't get when buying the phone in a corp ATT store. As you may know already, Amazon has an additional Early Termination Fee if you cancel your service contract within the first 6 months on top of ATT's ETF. Buyer beware :)

Thanks to jontalk, I was able to get a great deal on the GS3 by talking to AT&T directly. Here is what I got - GS3 $129.99 + $46 taxes (could not be waived). They waived the $36 upgrade fee. So I am getting the GS3 for $176 total with 2 day shipping. Not as good a deal as jon's, but I will take it. Thanks again jontalk!

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it saintforlife.. It would appear that ATT is aware that Amazon is now charging CA sales tax which they weren't a month ago, hence they won't give you the sales tax credit. It never hurts to ask for it though. Actually I had originally negotiated a $100 price and within a couple of days of placing my order, I called back and told them a friend got the phone for $50, so they gave me another $50 credit to my service account on top of the $44 credit for the sales tax. I think you got a good deal though since Amazon's price is higher for upgrade.. Did you get the red phone or? I love mine :)

djkest

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Really want a Galaxy SIII, but I can't afford the $200 for a phone- if I can get it for $100, I would totally do that. Any tips for what you should say on the phone to get them to lower the price for you? Our whole family plan is up for new phones, 5 lines. 3 smart phones, 2 dumb phones.

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Update. The original order never went through and its status never showed an update. I called AT&T and even they couldn't find the order. They said the person that did the first order may have messed it up or something. I was pretty upset and told them that I wanted to speak to their supervisor. I told the supervisor calmly that I have been with AT&T for 8 years and the contracts on both lines in our family is up and that if they don't fix this quickly, I will take my business elsewhere.

End result: I am getting a new GS3 for FREE. $36 upgrade fee waived. I only have to pay the $46 CA taxes. Awesome! I was mighty impressed with AT&T taking care of me like that. Great customer service.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering what was taking so long for you to receive your phone. I guess it really is worth to wait in your case.

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I just called Customer Support and they told me they had to sell them for the listed price ($199), or $99 for the refurb. She also said they weren't authorized to waive the upgrade fee. I even told her I knew of multiple people who had gotten it for under $100 and that the difference was credited back to their account. Still no dice. Any suggestions on how to get this deal?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
gootimes50.. They WILL negotiate a deal with you IF you're a long time customer since they want to keep your business. Look at the deal saintforlife got after I recommended he negotiate directly with them. But if you're NOT an ATT customer, they're probably not going to do anything. And ATT stores will not negotiate even with existing customers.

goodtimes50

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
gootimes50.. They WILL negotiate a deal with you IF you're a long time customer since they want to keep your business. Look at the deal saintforlife got after I recommended he negotiate directly with them. But if you're NOT an ATT customer, they're probably not going to do anything. And ATT stores will not negotiate even with existing customers.

I've been a customer for over 7 years and the woman I spoke with wouldn't budge.