Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Default Re: Where is the cheapest place to buy an AT&T GS3?

Just checked and looks like Best Buy and Radio Shack both have the SGS3 for $99. I'm on my way to get my $50 back yay!!!

If I can't get one for free from AT&T I'm going to wait for Black Friday. I'm thinking if they're $99 now they'll be even less on Black Friday because 2 years ago on Black Friday I got my Captivate at Radio Shack for free with waived activation fee. I'm thinking maybe $49/waived activation.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Yeah, that's a good idea, mty msi. They'll probably drop to $99. again by then, and several more times. Then before you know it....the GS3's will be @ $49.

I went to Radio Shack on 12 Oct, after returning my 10-day old Skyrocket to our local AT&T store (where they fortunately waived the 'Restock Fee'), and Radio Shack agreed to do the $99. deal for me if I came back on 14 Oct.
    So I did, and they also gave me an additional [$5. Off Coupon], so that brought it down to $94. Earlier that day, AT&T Customer Service had also agreed to waive the $36. 'Activation Fee', which they should always do anyway, imo, when it's an upgrade w/ contract. :rolleyes:

Three weeks back, I was able to sell my iPhone 3GS (that I purchased new from AT&T--for only $50.) for $170., so made $120. there, but now I regret selling it, as it was still working beautifully, and was plenty of 'smartphone' for me. . .as all I mainly did was make phone calls, email, browse the web, check the active radar & satellite, and listen to the TuneIn radio or the iPod.

But after hastily & foolishly selling my iPhone . . . now I'm starting to kinda wish I would've kept the Skyrocket. The GS3 has better hardware, of course, but many software deficiencies, in comparison to the AT&T Skyrocket. The GS3 doesn't even have an office suite, for crying out loud!
    eg . . .
    1) No Adobe Flash Player support; won't download on GS3 ICS 4.0.4 (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 had 'Adobe Flash Player')

2) No office doc app; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has 'QuickOffice')

3) No Application Manager Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has App Widget). . .so with the GS3, you have to pull down the 'Notifications' bar, but after doing so, there's still NO screen brightness adjustment ! :rolleyes:

4) No Power Saving Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has PS Widget). . . so with the GS3, in order to adjust screen brightness---you have to tap settings > display > brightness > and then play w/ the adjuster :rolleyes:

5) No quick notes app, just S Memo; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has regular Memo app)

. . . etc.-etc.etc. I have until this Friday to decide whether or not to return my GS3, which I'm now leaning towards doing.
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 10-23-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fr3GStoGS3 View Post
    But after hastily & foolishly selling my iPhone . . . now I'm starting to kinda wish I would've kept the Skyrocket. The GS3 has better hardware, of course, but many software deficiencies, in comparison to the AT&T Skyrocket. The GS3 doesn't even have an office suite, for crying out loud!
    eg . . .
    1) No Adobe Flash Player support; won't download on GS3 ICS 4.0.4 (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 had 'Adobe Flash Player')

I have Adobe Flash on my GS3 with 4.0.4 - I think Adobe quit supporting it at some point and Play Store removed it, but you should still be able to find it to install - look around the forums.

2) No office doc app; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has 'QuickOffice')

Download "Office Suite Pro" from Play Store - free and works very well.

3) No Application Manager Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has App Widget). . .so with the GS3, you have to pull down the 'Notifications' bar, but after doing so, there's still NO screen brightness adjustment ! :rolleyes:

There is a screen brightness slider on my pull down bar, after the latest ICS update from AT&T...

4) No Power Saving Widget; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has PS Widget). . . so with the GS3, in order to adjust screen brightness---you have to tap settings > display > brightness > and then play w/ the adjuster :rolleyes:

Download "Juice Defender" from Play Store - definitely the best power saving app.

5) No quick notes app, just S Memo; (GS2 Skyrocket w/ICS 4.0.4 has regular Memo app)

. . . etc.-etc.etc. I have until this Friday to decide whether or not to return my GS3, which I'm now leaning towards doing.
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!
    Thanked by:

ROM

Thanks very much, DallasFlier. Really appreciate your replies. I'll look into those apps and see if I can update my 4.0.4

So what's your current android version now?

Thanks very much, DallasFlier. Really appreciate your replies. I'll look into those apps and see if I can update my 4.0.4

So what's your current android version now?
    You're quite welcome!

My Android version: 4.0.4

Baseband version: I747UCLH9

Build number: IMM76D.I747UCALH9
    Thanked by:

ROM

Thanks again, DallasFlier,

So, if I understand you.... even though I'm running v.4.0.4 .... my Baseband version: I747UCLG1, and my Build number: IMM76D.I747UCALG1 --- can be updated?

Just went to 'Software Update' at the top of Settings > About Device . . . and tapped on 'Check the AT&T server for new software update?' . . . and after it ran the check, it came back: 'Current software is up to date.'

So, what's up with that I wonder? :-{

Btw, DallasFlier . . . our Washington Huskies could have easily opened up another (as in two-in-a-row :-P ) can of whoop-a*s on your Nebraska Huskers, last year in 2011 at your place. . . if only those ref's you guys must have quite obviously paid-off hadn't been in the U of N's pockets and their 12th -thru-17th player's on the field throughout that whole (fixed) game!
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 10-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks again, DallasFlier,

So, if I understand you.... even though I'm running v.4.0.4 .... my Baseband version: I747UCLG1, and my Build number: IMM76D.I747UCALG1 --- can be updated?

Just went to 'Software Update' at the top of Settings > About Device . . . and tapped on 'Check the AT&T server for new software update?' . . . and after it ran the check, it came back: 'Current software is up to date.'

So, what's up with that I wonder? :-{

Btw, DallasFlier . . . our Washington Huskies could have easily opened up another (as in two-in-a-row :-P ) can of whoop-a*s on your Nebraska Huskers, last year in 2011 at your place. . . if only those ref's you guys must have quite obviously paid-off hadn't been in the U of N's pockets and their 12th -thru-17th player's on the field throughout that whole (fixed) game!
    It definitely appears that my baseband and build versions are later than yours. Afraid I can't tell you how to fix that though, other than suggesting to check for an update, which you already did. Might do a search here, and if you don/t find anything start a thread and see if someone can assist.

As for the Huskies... coulda', shoulda', woulda' - but they didn't! We beat you at your house, beat you at our house, lost when forced into a bowl rematch that our guys weren't at all happy or fired up about being at. Lets see, what numbers do you get if you combine the scores of all three games?

ROM

Originally Posted by DallasFlier:
    I have Adobe Flash on my GS3 with 4.0.4 - I think Adobe quit supporting it at some point and Play Store removed it, but you should still be able to find it to install - look around the forums.
    Hey, thanks again, DallasFlier! I was able to DL Adobe Flash Player from: . . .and it works great!
    Now if I can only find the thread---where the good forum member suggested that download---so I can thank him too! lol

Is this the 'Office Suite Pro 6' (free trial version)?

There is a screen brightness slider on my pull down bar, after the latest ICS update from AT&T...
    There's not one on my Notification drop-down toolbar. Maybe that's because I have an older 'Baseband' & 'Build' versions than you do, which doesn't seem very fair, since my GS3 just arrived via the mail last week. Btw...I can't try an update for another few hours, since AT&T makes you wait 24hrs from your last try.

Download "Juice Defender" from Play Store - definitely the best power saving app.
    The reviews look mostly positive, but some user's of JD are complaining about the latest update (i.e.-crashing, slow downs, and actually using MORE battery juice up?)---which seems somewhat par for the course---with just about ALL the android apps.

Thanks again. And yeah, you guy's did win 2 out of the last 3. I'll give ya that. We've gone steadily down hill since putting up 56 and almost beating Baylor in the Alamo Bowl. I think Sarkisan's days are numbered, as they've been horrifically blown-out in their last six away games, and after his 3.5 years....have now digressed back down to being below mediocre, sadly

Btw, back on topic . . .and from this similar thread over on the reg Samsung Galaxy S3 forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-tomorrow.html . . .
    Radio Shack will 'match price' (on the same day), plus give you an additional $5. off coupon (making it $94.99), and they DON'T CHARGE a 'restocking fee' in case you decide to return it within 30 days (AT&T has dropped down to 14 days, as of 7 Oct.), but I think the Radio Shack 30 day return policy trumps the AT&T policy (if I understood the RS manager correctly).
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 10-25-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Originally Posted by DallasFlier:
    Hey, thanks again, DallasFlier! I was able to DL Adobe Flash Player from: . . .and it works great!
    Now if I can only find the thread---where the good forum member suggested that download---so I can thank him too! lol

Is this the 'Office Suite Pro 6' (free trial version)?

There's not one on my Notification drop-down toolbar. Maybe that's because I have an older 'Baseband' & 'Build' versions than you do, which doesn't seem very fair, since my GS3 just arrived via the mail last week. Btw...I can't try an update for another few hours, since AT&T makes you wait 24hrs from your last try.

The reviews look mostly positive, but some user's of JD are complaining about the latest update (i.e.-crashing, slow downs, and actually using MORE battery juice up?)---which seems somewhat par for the course---with just about ALL the android apps.

Thanks again. And yeah, you guy's did win 2 out of the last 3. I'll give ya that. We've gone steadily down hill since putting up 56 and almost beating Baylor in the Alamo Bowl. I think Sarkisan's days are numbered, as they've been horrifically blown-out in their last six away games, and after his 3.5 years....have now digressed back down to being below mediocre, sadly

Btw, back on topic . . .and from this similar thread over on the reg Samsung Galaxy S3 forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-tomorrow.html . . .
    Radio Shack will 'match price' (on the same day), plus give you an additional $5. off coupon (making it $94.99), and they DON'T CHARGE a 'restocking fee' in case you decide to return it within 30 days (AT&T has dropped down to 14 days, as of 7 Oct.), but I think the Radio Shack 30 day return policy trumps the AT&T policy (if I understood the RS manager correctly).
    I have "OfficeSuite Pro 6 + (PDF * HD)" and didn't pay anything for it - not sure if that was maybe some limited time deal or what?

The screen brightness slider DID appear on the notifications dropdown after my last update, so yes its probably the older baseband/build version you have. Wish I could help you get to the versions I have, but afraid I have no idea, mine happened via the "update" that's telling you that nothing is available.

Juice Defender - all I can say is, seems to work great for me - much better battery life after I installed it than what I had before. I also use GSAM Battery Monitor, which will breakdown battery use by individual app, so you can tell if there are battery hogs running.
    Thanked by:

Bought mine from ATT refurbished on line for $50. Looks brand new.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
    I have "OfficeSuite Pro 6 + (PDF * HD)" and didn't pay anything for it - not sure if that was maybe some limited time deal or what?

The screen brightness slider DID appear on the notifications dropdown after my last update, so yes its probably the older baseband/build version you have. Wish I could help you get to the versions I have, but afraid I have no idea, mine happened via the "update" that's telling you that nothing is available.

Juice Defender - all I can say is, seems to work great for me - much better battery life after I installed it than what I had before. I also use GSAM Battery Monitor, which will breakdown battery use by individual app, so you can tell if there are battery hogs running.
    Thanks again, DallasFlier. I seem to be thanking you quite a lot these last couple days.
    . . . (btw...what kind of a name is that? DallasFlier! . . . what are'ya doing? . . . always flying back & forth, back & forth to Dallas? . . . Or what!?

Yeah, AT&T is still saying that my software is up to date. Dang it.

I suppose I'll try that Juice Defence Defender thing-a-ma-jig then. Since you and the vast majority of JD user's seem to be pleased with it and saying positive things.

P.S.-- With Amazon, Best Buy and Radio Shack, to name a few, all doing $99. sporadically, or in RS's case matching, how long before we start seeing $49. for the GS3? Thanksgiving Day weekend and black-whatever-day? Before Christmas? Even though I only paid $94.— I'm contemplating returning mine, since I won't be charged a restock fee—and re-purchasing when they're going for $49.
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 10-26-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Today you can get one from BB for $100! I'd jump on that if you were thinking about upgrading.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Amazon Wireless has it for $119 at the moment.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Thanks again, DallasFlier. I seem to be thanking you quite a lot these last couple days.
    . . . (btw...what kind of a name is that? DallasFlier! . . . what are'ya doing? . . . always flying back & forth, back & forth to Dallas? . . . Or what!?

Yeah, AT&T is still saying that my software is up to date. Dang it.

I suppose I'll try that Juice Defence Defender thing-a-ma-jig then. Since you and the vast majority of JD user's seem to be pleased with it and saying positive things.

P.S.-- With Amazon, Best Buy and Radio Shack, to name a few, all doing $99. sporadically, or in RS's case matching, how long before we start seeing $49. for the GS3? Thanksgiving Day weekend and black-whatever-day? Before Christmas? Even though I only paid $94.— I'm contemplating returning mine, since I won't be charged a restock fee—and re-purchasing when they're going for $49.
    DallasFlier - a longtime handle I've used all over the net. I live in metro Dallas (for over 30 years) and am a private pilot who loves flying. So many years back, when needing to come up with a "handle", picked that one and have stuck with it.

I paid $199 for mine at release, but I'm also watching the prices as we approach the Thanksgiving weekend discount craze, will probably be getting one for my wife before the end of November. Mine's blue, will get her the red if I can get a good price. Too bad there aren't three of us in the household - red, white & blue would be quite patriotic!

FYI best buy is having another one day sale for $99..
    Today october 26
    Source: I work at best buy mobile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I'm thinking we're getting close to $49. Maybe Black Friday.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm holding out for another Amazon Wireless penny sale like they did last year. If it happens, it's just a matter of waiting a month. BRING IT ON!
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Just curious, if you buy the phone from Best Buy, Staples, Amazon or anything that isn't AT&T...will it require a data plan switch? The guys at AT&T told me that if I buy from them my grandfathered unlimited data plan won't change, but I did not ask about buying elsewhere. I don't really understand why it's cheaper from Amazon at $99 rather than directly from AT&T, is there some caveat I should know? I don't see an option to change colors, so the blue would be the only option though a case makes that irrelevant.

Do you guys think that the price of the phone (with contract, not unlocked) will be lower after Android has their event to announce new products? I know it will probably drop around Thanksgiving but I don't want to wait that long if I can get it for $100 now.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by hunterx82 View Post
    Just curious, if you buy the phone from Best Buy, Staples, Amazon or anything that isn't AT&T...will it require a data plan switch? The guys at AT&T told me that if I buy from them my grandfathered unlimited data plan won't change, but I did not ask about buying elsewhere. I don't really understand why it's cheaper from Amazon at $99 rather than directly from AT&T, is there some caveat I should know? I don't see an option to change colors, so the blue would be the only option though a case makes that irrelevant.
    Not that we experienced. AT&T might have told you that in an attempt to persuade you to buy from them. We purchased a GS3 & Galaxy Note from Radio Shack—two weeks ago—and they 'grandfathered' our data plans (albeit they weren't unlimited plans) with no problem, as we were upgrading with new 2 yr. contracts.
    I would suggest that you call whichever store you might be considering upgrading at, and ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterx82 View Post
    Do you guys think that the price of the phone (with contract, not unlocked) will be lower after Android has their event to announce new products? I know it will probably drop around Thanksgiving but I don't want to wait that long if I can get it for $100 now.
    It should at least drop back down to $99., methinks, which is where it was on 14 Oct. @ Best Buy (matched by Radio Shack + an additional $5. off coupon—making it $94.) and then again on 26 Oct.—according to posts here on this forum. So if they stick to their (every two weeks) pattern...I would guess that the GS3 will be @ $99. again in less than two weeks from today.

And asforementioned, maybe less on black friday. Though I haven't heard any rumors of that.

I got my current Captivate at Radio Shack 2 years ago this Black Friday for free w/ waived activation and grandfathered my (alleged) unlimited data plan. Amazon has the G3 for $99 right now. I think with the $99 deals popping up now there will be a further reduction on Black Friday. We'll soon find out.

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    I got my current Captivate at Radio Shack 2 years ago this Black Friday for free w/ waived activation and grandfathered my (alleged) unlimited data plan. Amazon has the G3 for $99 right now. I think with the $99 deals popping up now there will be a further reduction on Black Friday. We'll soon find out.
    It is, but only the Blue Pearl color. I would buy a case anyway so color probably doesn't matter but choices are important to some people.

Does Best Buy match online retailers like Amazon now? I would much prefer to walk out the door with it tomorrow!

Guys, do you know if the price is only applicable to those who have main contract or not? I am planning to have a new SG3 but as an addition to my wife phone.

You would be executing a 2 year service agreement for the 2nd phone to get it at the contract ($99) price.
    Thanked by:

I kinda new on how the smartphone contract works. Is there a big difference of getting a phone, let say SG3, from BestBuy and the AT&T store aside from the price if the former is on sale?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast