Horrible battery life after update

Pachap109

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I did the OTA update the other day that AT&T sent out and since then I have had HORRIBLE battery life. Before update I had 20+ hours on medium to heavy use and after the update I'm getting 6 or so. I'm having to charge my phone 3 times a day....any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed my battery life is worse after the update. After about 8 hours, I'm down to around 50-55%, and that's with the phone just sitting on my desk at work with minimal usage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
After the update mine seems fine! Have you done a battery pull? Let the battery die then charge it all the way back up to 100%? What is your app saying thats taking up most of your battery life?

I'd start there. If this all fails then I would do a hard reset. But none the less its strange. Mines been doing great!

Pachap109

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Cell standby is using a lot of battery and then screen but I have it on auto brightness. Not sure about the cell standby though. I have killed my battery and charged to 100% a couple times even turned my phone off and on after it said 100% bc I have noticed if I turn my phone off, when it comes back on it had dropped about 30% battery.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Those of you having issues with the battery, I suggest you to try a complete factory reset and see if that will fix the issue. A factory reset can help in most of the cases. It is a hassle to restore back but updates dont happen every day....

Pachap109

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Those of you having issues with the battery, I suggest you to try a complete factory reset and see if that will fix the issue. A factory reset can help in most of the cases. It is a hassle to restore back but updates dont happen every day....

Do you know how to back up data? I see people saying they do it before they factory restore but I don't know how. And if my son loses his game again on my phone (like it has happened before when I had my phone restored it erased it all) him and my wallet won't be happy!

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
As far as i know you need root for that and Titanium Backup app available on google play. This will backup.your game data etc. but you really want to start with a clean phone to be sure there are no older settings left.

savingsfriend

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I shouldn't have to do a factory reset on my phone because of an update Samsung/AT&T pushed out.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
True. But this is the first thing the ATT tech support will tell you to do. This is the part of a standard procedure before they deem the phone (or the battery) defective.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well the more I hear about the OTA update, the happier I am I never got notified or installed it.. Am going to leave my phone as is even when/if I do get notified about it.. I get AMAZING battery life so as the old saying goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.. Thanks folks..

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well the more I hear about the OTA update, the happier I am I never got notified or installed it.. Am going to leave my phone as is even when/if I do get notified about it.. I get AMAZING battery life so as the old saying goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.. Thanks folks..
couldn't have put it better myself! This is what I'll be doing too when I finally get my GS3

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have not noticed either way. I usually do a battery pull after updates. Not positive but I think my Car bluetooth was acting wonky today. Need more time in the car to investigate.

ramnitb

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Try downloading Battery Calibration from the google play store and calibrating your battery. It's worth a shot! Let me know if it improves your battery life.

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm in the minority the latest OTA dramatically improved my battery life. Prior to the update I was going to bed and plugging in the phone with around 30% battery remaining. After the update I'm plugging in with 60% remaining and I've not changed my usage at all.

mdatangan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I had the same problem after the last update. I checked around and found a solution for me. I uninstalled my exchange email application and rebooted and my battery life went nearly back to normal (might be preception thing...) but my battery lasts the whole day at least...

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781