can't change source calendar for event once event is created

clayedwards

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I use several online calendars, all set up correctly in the Samsung Calendar app and when I am creating a new event I can select which of these calendars I want the new event associated with.

The problem is that once I create that event I cannot go back in and edit which calendar that event is associated with. It's stuck on the calendar I originally created the event with.

How do I fix this so I can change the calendar source for previously created events?

Thanks!

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I use several online calendars, all set up correctly in the Samsung Calendar app and when I am creating a new event I can select which of these calendars I want the new event associated with.

The problem is that once I create that event I cannot go back in and edit which calendar that event is associated with. It's stuck on the calendar I originally created the event with.

How do I fix this so I can change the calendar source for previously created events?

Thanks!

If you use Google, and you are synced, you can do it on your computer or laptop.

clayedwards

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks grunt0300, I already knew I could do that but that doesn't really help me with my issue regarding the calendar on my Galaxy S3, unfortunately. Do you have any tips on how to make the change from within the calendar app?

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks grunt0300, I already knew I could do that but that doesn't really help me with my issue regarding the calendar on my Galaxy S3, unfortunately. Do you have any tips on how to make the change from within the calendar app?

I can do exactly what you want on my Vivid. I tap on the calendar app, and it brings up the event. Then i have the option to change or amend the event. Don't know if that helps.

clayedwards

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Thanks for that reply. Since this is a Samsung device and the calendar app is made by Samsung I'm still not sure how to fix this. I know the Vivid is made by HTC but I'm not sure if HTC provides the calendar app. Is it a stock calendar app you're using? or one from the Google Play market?

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Thanks for that reply. Since this is a Samsung device and the calendar app is made by Samsung I'm still not sure how to fix this. I know the Vivid is made by HTC but I'm not sure if HTC provides the calendar app. Is it a stock calendar app you're using? or one from the Google Play market?

It's the stock calendar app that came on the phone. I have multiple calendars, but keep all my events on the gmail calendar, which is synced to the phone. I don't know if you use it, but gmail is a snap, and it syncs with the phone and my MacBook. For me, it's like...set it, and forget it.:D

clayedwards

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I use gmail as well. I've attached a screenshot for reference so you can see the issue. uploadfromtaptalk1348722474380.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ByteTraveler

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem since moving up to an S3 and Jellybean. This worked fine under Gingerbread on my old phone.

It looks like the bug may have been introduced in the Google version of the calendar, which I installed from the Play Store, and then Samsung copied that bug with the open source code to create their version.

The functionally still exists in many of the third party calendars that aren't based on the same open source code, such as Pocket Informant.

But I really like the simplicity of the stock calendar, and hope they get this fixed soon!

Gary Lassin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem but found a solution. Open up the default Samsung Calendar. You can change calendars on that one but can't on the Google calendar.

note user

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have 3 calendars: I have discovered that if I have NOT sync-ed my calendar, then I can easily change / edit the calendar from one to another. However, after I sync (or the phone syncs it), that feature isn't available any longer. Although, it isn't much extra effort to simply copy the event - thus creating a new event with the desired calendar and then deleting the other event. Hope this helps.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem but found a solution. Open up the default Samsung Calendar. You can change calendars on that one but can't on the Google calendar.
This is a strange thing within the Google Calendar app. Someone suggested in another thread using "aCalender". I love it. It is basically a skin over the Google Calendar. I recommend it to anyone using the Google Calendar App. Not only can you change the calendar in events, you can copy an event and you can read your events in full month mode. It doesn't have a agenda mode, but its full week is much more useful. The only downside is that it only has a 4*4 widget and I like the size of the widget for Google Calendar.

P.S. You can also "jump to date" which you can't do in the Google Calendar app and it shows the calendars in their correct colors from the website. If you use their strange date picker instead of the android one, you can select time to 5 min increments if you want.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I can't get this to work using the Samsung calendar, either. One calendar app that WILL let you reassign an event between calendars is Pimlical: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...imlicalA&feature=search_result&token=CT_m0w9a.

It's the most powerful and flexible calendar available for Android. Also possibly the most complicated, but that's the price you pay for all the flexibility. It's probably the most expensive, too, but all the profits go to a good cause, wildlife conservation: Dewar Wildlife

I use another calendar (iRT Pro) for most things, and jump to Pimlical when I need to do something only it will do.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I started using Business Calendar when I discovered the stock calendar would only parse addresses when it felt like it. BC will also let you change calendars on the edit screen.

sindizzy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Im on Sprint using a S3 and I have the same problem. I could swear this was an option before. Me and my co-worker did some experimenting and found that you can change the source but only if your device hasn't synced yet. Once synced the option to change source is gone. What I did as a work around (at least for my needs) was to create my events and save them to the local calendar (usually shows up as My Calendar). Once there I can change the source to any other source since My Calendar doesn't sync with anything. The catch is once the source changes to gmail or Exchange then you are out of luck as the option becomes greyed out on the next sync.

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
One solution is to install Jorte Calendar from Google Play.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=jp.co.johospace.jorte&token=DbxbTGTE

It is *by far* the most customizable calendar ever made for Android. It let's you change the calendar that your event belongs to, among many other things. The huge amounts of functionality and customizability outweigh it's sometimes sluggish graphics. I can't live without this calendar.

It also syncs with Google Tasks and can display those tasks in the calendar!!! Jorte has a high learning curve, but it (along with the stock app) will make your calendar experiences highly productive on Android.

And it's FREE with no ads!!!!!! Seriously. You've gotta try it out.

Oh!!! And you can pick graphic icons for your events (e.g. a birthday cake for a friend's birthday, or an airplane for a scheduled flight, etc)!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance