Battery drained from 95% to 14% overnight!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I turned off mobile data and WiFi, then disabled and enabled JD again and the red dot is still there.. Sorry.

It might have something to do with being logged into the ATT Microcell though am not sure. Since I'm new to Andriod, I'm assuming that when you turn on WiFi it automatically turns of Mobile Data correct? It just seems odd also that the JD icon appears constantly in the notification bar at the top left when it didn't use to. I have removed it, and then removed the JD backup file in the download folder, restarted the phone and then installed with no change. And still JD support has yet to respond to 3 emails now.. They really suck. Sorry but it's not what I expect from a popular app like JD.

Is the red dot there when you are actually using your phone? Or do you mean when it is off and locked? Are you able to use the internet when the red dot is there?
On my phone, the Red dot is always there when my phone is locked, but when I unlock it, after like 5 seconds it will connect to my wifi

Yes JD will automatically turn off Mobile Data when Wifi is on, but that is when its on "Balanced" mode, but you can play with the settings to prevent it from doing that. You can also prevent the notification from showing by turning off notifications...try doing "Custom" mode and see if you can play with the customs to work to whats best for you.

The JD notification will always stay in the notification bar as long as it is enabled...if its not there, it means its disabled, you can disable the notification if you do not like it though

Here are some of my JD settings hopefully this works for you:
Make sure "Enable After Unlock" is on, and this will enable the data when you unlock your phone (When you open JD, slide left to see that option, under the Help tab)
Also make sure that "Boot Workaround" is also on

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Update - JD in Balanced mode worked fine for two days an I had excellent battery life. But the last two nights have been awful. I woke up with a dead phone both yesterday and today. I am pretty bummed. Is something wrong with my phone? Is it looking for cell signal all night and killing the battery in the process? Is that what is happening? Is there something I can do to make the phone stop doing that? Also why does this seem to happen only at night when the phone is not being used? I am the most light user of the phone you can think of. I only have a few apps installed as I said before. I have no idea why this is happening.

ETA: Is there a setting in JD that stops this constant pinging for cell signal? Can somebody confirm that doing a factor reset will fix this issue?

Thanks.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
smooth.. I found that JD does not disable mobile data, but somehow it got disabled. I did a battery pull, waited 30 seconds, replaced the battery and booted up again. Then re-installed JD and made sure mobile data was on. No more red dot. In fact I never see it now. However, I don't think I'm getting quite as much batter life as before, but it's still good. Since I don't have the paid version, I don't see any add'l setting when I tap 'customize', so can't really see how to play with settings. So far so good.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
smooth.. I found that JD does not disable mobile data, but somehow it got disabled. I did a battery pull, waited 30 seconds, replaced the battery and booted up again. Then re-installed JD and made sure mobile data was on. No more red dot. In fact I never see it now. However, I don't think I'm getting quite as much batter life as before, but it's still good. Since I don't have the paid version, I don't see any add'l setting when I tap 'customize', so can't really see how to play with settings. So far so good.

Well I know JD will only disable mobile data if its on Wifi, if you turn your WiFi off, then it will re-enable mobile data...at least that's what mine does, but as long as you fixed your problem then that's good!

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my S3 for two months with JD and was getting pretty good battery life but since I installed the recent AT&T OTA update, I can't make it a full day without my phone dying. I think it's the update that's causing the issue....

tigerpierre

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Same issues here...Went to bed at 100% and woke up 6 hours later at 45%. I installed JD and giving it a few days to see if my battery life improves. Funny thing is that my wife's phone isn't having any battery issues...

UPDATE 10/10/12 - JD has been great! I'm able to get 12-14 hours of moderate use daily!

Last edited:

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
11pm last night was at 100% charge, by 7 am I was at 88%. Not horrible, but I much rather see it stay around 95% when not in use at all.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
11pm last night was at 100% charge, by 7 am I was at 88%. Not horrible, but I much rather see it stay around 95% when not in use at all.

I took mine off charger last night at about 2 am and when I got up today at 1030 (yeah I slept in, it's a long weekend!) I was at 98%. I am back on ICS after running the Bell JB leak (which was harder on battery but not as bad as the AT&T peeps are getting - in the same situation I would have been at 88-91% when I got up with the JB leak). Definitely sounds like something specific AT&T did.

I got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I did a full reset this morning and it prompted me for update. I did the update and full reset again. Now I'm back with all my apps and whatnot. Will be monitoring the battery life. Because frankly, my battery kinda sucked before the update so i hope this will improve it. Oh and i also love the way they changed the browser when the menu key also brings up the address bar (finally! I was using an alternative browser just because this function was not there) And added a brightness control at the notification drop down menu

Update:
I'd say in terms of battery life this update didn't bring anything new, nor did it make it worse either. Its just the same as it was before. I was hoping this update would bring back the universal search but alas not this time.

Last edited:

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm on day 2 with my S3 and batt life is horrible. Installed JD last night and waiting to see. Could a poor LTE signal at home cause a problem? I'm on AT&T in SE lower Michigan.

inthegalaxy

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine does the same if I have data/ wifi on.and automatic sync. But if none of those are on then its prolly a bug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I picked up Galaxy Note 2 on release day , Battery life was terrible during device sleep on wifi.
In 8 hour sleep session 12-14% battery loss , I tweaked settings for days finally finding the culprit.
Disable "Download Attachments"

After doing so I'm getting 2% loss in 12hours sleep wifi enabled.
Hopefully this works for you GS3 owners as well

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 50

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I never do auto synch email. That's for sure some form of battery loss. I just do it manually a few times a day.

robert peake

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-03-23-09-16-22.png

Screenshot_2013-03-23-09-14-51.png

hi there i ve had my s3 mini for a couple of days but i was a bit surprised how quickly the battery drops, i bet i the phone not set up correctly, would someone mind looking over the screen shots above, i have just installed JD this morning after reading this thread.

thanks

marie727

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Yup thats the phone is. If I would have known, I would of stayed with iphone..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Robert, 22 minutes of time off charger isn't enough to tell anything. Show us what battery usage looks like when it's dropped to maybe 50%, and maybe we can tell something. In addition to the screens you've posted, when you post again show us two others: On the battery screen (the first one you posted), tap the chart at the top, and capture the screen that appears. Then go back to the battery screen, and tap on the Screen row, and capture that screen, too. Post all three here.

Also, you realize this isn't the S3 mini forum? We'll be happy to try to help anyway, but you might also want to post in the right forum.

Marie, most people get perfectly decent battery life out of the S3. If you have an issue you want to try to resolve, post the same information I asked Robert for. If you just want to complain, that's OK, too.

rob peake

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
sorry this is the same robert as before but i'm on a different laptop so signe din with my google account....

ok sorry for posting on the wrong forum, hopefully someone can offer up some advice as i was a bit disappointed with battery life.

had the phone a week or so now. Installed JD yesterday and got about 13hrs of ok use, tried deep battery saver program today and i think thats why the android OS percentage has gone up (not sure though) it run out of battery about 4pm so i had to put it on charge for an hour, then when i got home....

Screenshot_2013-03-26-22-51-57.png

Screenshot_2013-03-26-22-52-14.png

Screenshot_2013-03-26-22-52-03.png

im now trying GO power saver to see if that makes any difference. I dont know whats best to do for syncing emails, every hour, every 15mins ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech