Battery drained from 95% to 14% overnight!

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
So looks like the battery bug hit me. First of all, I only have these apps installed on my phone - Angry Birds, Chrome, Facebook, Google Finance, Flashlight, Gmail, Google Maps, Tango, Unit Converter, Visual Voicemail and Whatsapp. None of these should have been running overnight except the push Gmail. I am not using the default email app as I don't have a need for it. I went to bed with 95% battery left and woke up with only 14% left.

The cell standby usage seemed to be unusally high, like 81% overnight when I checked it in the morning. Here is a screen shot of it now; I forgot to take a screenshot in the morning before recharging. BTW, my phone already has the OTA update installed. I got the OTA update notification the first day I got the phone and I installed it without thinking anything about it.

Any thoughts on what could be causing my battery to drain so fast?

c9eLx.png

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you remember losing your signal for a while or so? Then it could be searching for a signal all night long....

Author Of NoobTech
http://wp.me/2uu9r

Well, with AT&T you never know here in the Bay Area. However I've not had too many signal problems at home to be honest.

I just downloaded Juice Defender (the free version). I set the profile to 'Balanced'. I am going to monitor for a couple of days and see if it helps.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I was having similar problems(though not on that level), and downloaded Juice Defender, which fixed everything. I charge my phone in the morning, and it lasts the entire day. Even with heavy usage it's great.

Pachap109

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I installed the OTA without thinking as well and it made my battery horrible. And the worst part of it is that I was using Juice Defender before the OTA and it worked wonders my phone lasted days but now it doesn't help. Sometimes it seems to make it worse. Sigh. Not quite sure what to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why...I'm have no issues with battery considering my heavy daily usage. If I leave it unplugged overnight with 80% I've woken up to 72%. You leaving Wi-Fi on or something? Try clearing everything out in ram and cache.

Apple Hater for Life!

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I had JD before and after OTA. I have noted no difference.

I have to wonder how many different apps and widgets that drain battery's people have installed and how many different phone settings and app combos there are. Unlike other systems this one can be modified in so many different ways it's like poking in the dark at times trying to figure out why all of us have so many different behaviors that would cause battery drain.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
So looks like the battery bug hit me. First of all, I only have these apps installed on my phone - Angry Birds, Chrome, Facebook, Google Finance, Flashlight, Gmail, Google Maps, Tango, Unit Converter, Visual Voicemail and Whatsapp. None of these should have been running overnight except the push Gmail. I am not using the default email app as I don't have a need for it. I went to bed with 95% battery left and woke up with only 14% left.

The cell standby usage seemed to be unusally high, like 81% overnight when I checked it in the morning. Here is a screen shot of it now; I forgot to take a screenshot in the morning before recharging. BTW, my phone already has the OTA update installed. I got the OTA update notification the first day I got the phone and I installed it without thinking anything about it.

Any thoughts on what could be causing my battery to drain so fast?

View attachment 38780

You have all notification turned off?

Apple Hater for Life!

dotB

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I use these tips and I get 14-18 hours a day. I used to run WanamLite rom, but I'm back to stock unrooted and they still help.

Disable auto sync for accounts
Disable GPS (and wifi gps)
Disable auto backup of Gmail account
Set wifi sleep policy to "Never"
Set brightness level to automatic
Disable motion
Check your apps settings and disable useless background sync
Disable useless animations​

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Am also curious if you've disabled any or all of the ATT apps, which most of us do right away. And have you installed the OTA update? It seems some people have had battery issues after installing. Personally I still haven't rec'd the OTA notification and I get amazing battery life.. Right now with a live wallpaper running, I'm at over 16 hours with 67% battery left.. And I was playing video games last night on my phone for over an hour too. JD is a must though so glad you've got it installed. Where in the Bay area are you btw? I'm in Marin :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Use the app Juice Defender! It makes my battery last longer than 24 hrs!
Also dont have apps sync every minute..do every hour
Dont use auto brightness, leave it at about 15%, its still visible

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Am also curious if you've disabled any or all of the ATT apps, which most of us do right away. And have you installed the OTA update? It seems some people have had battery issues after installing. Personally I still haven't rec'd the OTA notification and I get amazing battery life.. Right now with a live wallpaper running, I'm at over 16 hours with 67% battery left.. And I was playing video games last night on my phone for over an hour too. JD is a must though so glad you've got it installed. Where in the Bay area are you btw? I'm in Marin :)

Yes, as soon I turned the new phone on, I got a notification for OTA. I installed it without giving it a second thought. I am in the south bay area btw. I don't understand how you didn't get a notification for the OTA.

Anyway, a quick update. Juice Defender seems to be working! I took the phone off the charger last night at 100%. It is 4:00 in the afternoon now and I am still at 85%!! I am going to wait one more day before declaring JD awesome. But it is looking very promising as of now. Fingers crossed.

cputoys

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've already declared juice defender awesome! But...keep an eye on any twitter or facebook apps you may have left running. I was having an issue with ubersocial (twitdroid) running in the background and generally hitting the battery pretty hard. ubersoc was always at the top of the usage meter. Either kill it when done using or switch to something else. I tried a bunch and find Twicca better behaved on the twitter front. The native twitter app also seems light on battery too.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Juice Defender question for anyone in the forum... Because I didn't get the OTA update, I went to the ATT store today and mentioned this so the rep pulled the battery while the phone was still on. Ever since then I notice the JD icon in the notification bar has the red dot on all the time. I've removed JD, restarted the phone, installed the JD Beta and nothing changes. Anyone have this experience before? I sure don't want to remove JD but the red dot means radios are disabled, though I do have an ATT Microcell in the house since the signal here is so weak. And yes, I've contacted JD support about it too. Thanks.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My battery life with Juice Defender and my settings....the only reason it went down at the end is because I was useg my GPS with LTE
- Juice Defender
- Screen Brightness about 15%
- Sync every 1 hr

Battery life.png

---------- Post Merged at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Juice Defender question for anyone in the forum... Because I didn't get the OTA update, I went to the ATT store today and mentioned this so the rep pulled the battery while the phone was still on. Ever since then I notice the JD icon in the notification bar has the red dot on all the time. I've removed JD, restarted the phone, installed the JD Beta and nothing changes. Anyone have this experience before? I sure don't want to remove JD but the red dot means radios are disabled, though I do have an ATT Microcell in the house since the signal here is so weak. And yes, I've contacted JD support about it too. Thanks.

Try changing your JD settings, or uninstall then reinstall

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I see this sometimes. There are two parts of town where, if I leave my phone idle, it gets warm and drains the battery quickly. I always assumed it was a coverage or lack thereof issue. Rebooting seems to help. Did it before and after the latest update.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Already did the removal and reinstallation and the JD icon stays in the notification bar with the red dot constant. I don't think this should be happening so I have removed it completely. And chatted with a Samsung tech support rep who said that JD or Avast will not affect receiving OTA updates either, so I installed Avast again as well. Meantime I'm stumped about JD not working properly.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Already did the removal and reinstallation and the JD icon stays in the notification bar with the red dot constant. I don't think this should be happening so I have removed it completely. And chatted with a Samsung tech support rep who said that JD or Avast will not affect receiving OTA updates either, so I installed Avast again as well. Meantime I'm stumped about JD not working properly.

When using JD, click Balanced....then on your notifications bar, check to see if Wifi and Mobile Data is turned off...that should take the red dot away...the red dot means that none of your data sources are turned on, so it means your mobile data and wifi is off.

Try turning on both your Wifi and Mobile data from the notification bar, then re enable JD and see what happens

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
OK.. as it turns out you were almost correct. When I turned ON Mobile Data and WiFi the red dot disappeared. For some reason mobile data was turned off and that seems to be the connection with the red dot. Once I turn it off, the red dot comes back and you also get the error message saying turning mobile data off may not allow you to receive emails or text messages. Not even sure how it got turned off, unless the idiot at the ATT store did it, LOL.

Thanks so much for the feedback. At least the red dot is gone and my mobile data is turned back on too :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03