Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery drained from 95% to 14% overnight!

So looks like the battery bug hit me. First of all, I only have these apps installed on my phone - Angry Birds, Chrome, Facebook, Google Finance, Flashlight, Gmail, Google Maps, Tango, Unit Converter, Visual Voicemail and Whatsapp. None of these should have been running overnight except the push Gmail. I am not using the default email app as I don't have a need for it. I went to bed with 95% battery left and woke up with only 14% left.

The cell standby usage seemed to be unusally high, like 81% overnight when I checked it in the morning. Here is a screen shot of it now; I forgot to take a screenshot in the morning before recharging. BTW, my phone already has the OTA update installed. I got the OTA update notification the first day I got the phone and I installed it without thinking anything about it.

Any thoughts on what could be causing my battery to drain so fast?

Battery drained from 95% to 14% overnight!-c9elx.png

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Battery drained from 95% to 14% overnight!

Do you remember losing your signal for a while or so? Then it could be searching for a signal all night long....

Author Of NoobTech
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by kritin kapoor View Post
    Do you remember losing your signal for a while or so? Then it could be searching for a signal all night long....

Author Of NoobTech
    Well, with AT&T you never know here in the Bay Area. However I've not had too many signal problems at home to be honest.

I just downloaded Juice Defender (the free version). I set the profile to 'Balanced'. I am going to monitor for a couple of days and see if it helps.

I was having similar problems(though not on that level), and downloaded Juice Defender, which fixed everything. I charge my phone in the morning, and it lasts the entire day. Even with heavy usage it's great.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!

I installed the OTA without thinking as well and it made my battery horrible. And the worst part of it is that I was using Juice Defender before the OTA and it worked wonders my phone lasted days but now it doesn't help. Sometimes it seems to make it worse. Sigh. Not quite sure what to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Not sure why...I'm have no issues with battery considering my heavy daily usage. If I leave it unplugged overnight with 80% I've woken up to 72%. You leaving Wi-Fi on or something? Try clearing everything out in ram and cache.

Apple Hater for Life!

I had JD before and after OTA. I have noted no difference.

I have to wonder how many different apps and widgets that drain battery's people have installed and how many different phone settings and app combos there are. Unlike other systems this one can be modified in so many different ways it's like poking in the dark at times trying to figure out why all of us have so many different behaviors that would cause battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    So looks like the battery bug hit me. First of all, I only have these apps installed on my phone - Angry Birds, Chrome, Facebook, Google Finance, Flashlight, Gmail, Google Maps, Tango, Unit Converter, Visual Voicemail and Whatsapp. None of these should have been running overnight except the push Gmail. I am not using the default email app as I don't have a need for it. I went to bed with 95% battery left and woke up with only 14% left.

The cell standby usage seemed to be unusally high, like 81% overnight when I checked it in the morning. Here is a screen shot of it now; I forgot to take a screenshot in the morning before recharging. BTW, my phone already has the OTA update installed. I got the OTA update notification the first day I got the phone and I installed it without thinking anything about it.

Any thoughts on what could be causing my battery to drain so fast?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c9eLx.png 
Views:	310 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	38780
    You have all notification turned off?

Apple Hater for Life!

I use these tips and I get 14-18 hours a day. I used to run WanamLite rom, but I'm back to stock unrooted and they still help.

Disable auto sync for accounts
    Disable GPS (and wifi gps)
    Disable auto backup of Gmail account
    Set wifi sleep policy to "Never"
    Set brightness level to automatic
    Disable motion
    Check your apps settings and disable useless background sync
    Disable useless animations
    .B

Am also curious if you've disabled any or all of the ATT apps, which most of us do right away. And have you installed the OTA update? It seems some people have had battery issues after installing. Personally I still haven't rec'd the OTA notification and I get amazing battery life.. Right now with a live wallpaper running, I'm at over 16 hours with 67% battery left.. And I was playing video games last night on my phone for over an hour too. JD is a must though so glad you've got it installed. Where in the Bay area are you btw? I'm in Marin

Use the app Juice Defender! It makes my battery last longer than 24 hrs!
    Also dont have apps sync every minute..do every hour
    Dont use auto brightness, leave it at about 15%, its still visible
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
    Am also curious if you've disabled any or all of the ATT apps, which most of us do right away. And have you installed the OTA update? It seems some people have had battery issues after installing. Personally I still haven't rec'd the OTA notification and I get amazing battery life.. Right now with a live wallpaper running, I'm at over 16 hours with 67% battery left.. And I was playing video games last night on my phone for over an hour too. JD is a must though so glad you've got it installed. Where in the Bay area are you btw? I'm in Marin
    Yes, as soon I turned the new phone on, I got a notification for OTA. I installed it without giving it a second thought. I am in the south bay area btw. I don't understand how you didn't get a notification for the OTA.

Anyway, a quick update. Juice Defender seems to be working! I took the phone off the charger last night at 100%. It is 4:00 in the afternoon now and I am still at 85%!! I am going to wait one more day before declaring JD awesome. But it is looking very promising as of now. Fingers crossed.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Also dont have apps sync every minute..do every hour
    How do you change this setting?

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

I've already declared juice defender awesome! But...keep an eye on any twitter or facebook apps you may have left running. I was having an issue with ubersocial (twitdroid) running in the background and generally hitting the battery pretty hard. ubersoc was always at the top of the usage meter. Either kill it when done using or switch to something else. I tried a bunch and find Twicca better behaved on the twitter front. The native twitter app also seems light on battery too.

Juice Defender question for anyone in the forum... Because I didn't get the OTA update, I went to the ATT store today and mentioned this so the rep pulled the battery while the phone was still on. Ever since then I notice the JD icon in the notification bar has the red dot on all the time. I've removed JD, restarted the phone, installed the JD Beta and nothing changes. Anyone have this experience before? I sure don't want to remove JD but the red dot means radios are disabled, though I do have an ATT Microcell in the house since the signal here is so weak. And yes, I've contacted JD support about it too. Thanks.

My battery life with Juice Defender and my settings....the only reason it went down at the end is because I was useg my GPS with LTE
    - Juice Defender
    - Screen Brightness about 15%
    - Sync every 1 hr

Battery drained from 95% to 14% overnight!-battery-life.png

---------- Post Merged at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Juice Defender question for anyone in the forum... Because I didn't get the OTA update, I went to the ATT store today and mentioned this so the rep pulled the battery while the phone was still on. Ever since then I notice the JD icon in the notification bar has the red dot on all the time. I've removed JD, restarted the phone, installed the JD Beta and nothing changes. Anyone have this experience before? I sure don't want to remove JD but the red dot means radios are disabled, though I do have an ATT Microcell in the house since the signal here is so weak. And yes, I've contacted JD support about it too. Thanks.
    Try changing your JD settings, or uninstall then reinstall

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

I see this sometimes. There are two parts of town where, if I leave my phone idle, it gets warm and drains the battery quickly. I always assumed it was a coverage or lack thereof issue. Rebooting seems to help. Did it before and after the latest update.

Already did the removal and reinstallation and the JD icon stays in the notification bar with the red dot constant. I don't think this should be happening so I have removed it completely. And chatted with a Samsung tech support rep who said that JD or Avast will not affect receiving OTA updates either, so I installed Avast again as well. Meantime I'm stumped about JD not working properly.

Already did the removal and reinstallation and the JD icon stays in the notification bar with the red dot constant. I don't think this should be happening so I have removed it completely. And chatted with a Samsung tech support rep who said that JD or Avast will not affect receiving OTA updates either, so I installed Avast again as well. Meantime I'm stumped about JD not working properly.
    When using JD, click Balanced....then on your notifications bar, check to see if Wifi and Mobile Data is turned off...that should take the red dot away...the red dot means that none of your data sources are turned on, so it means your mobile data and wifi is off.

Try turning on both your Wifi and Mobile data from the notification bar, then re enable JD and see what happens

OK.. as it turns out you were almost correct. When I turned ON Mobile Data and WiFi the red dot disappeared. For some reason mobile data was turned off and that seems to be the connection with the red dot. Once I turn it off, the red dot comes back and you also get the error message saying turning mobile data off may not allow you to receive emails or text messages. Not even sure how it got turned off, unless the ***** at the ATT store did it, LOL.

Thanks so much for the feedback. At least the red dot is gone and my mobile data is turned back on too
    Last edited by jontalk; 09-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.

I turned off mobile data and WiFi, then disabled and enabled JD again and the red dot is still there.. Sorry.

It might have something to do with being logged into the ATT Microcell though am not sure. Since I'm new to Andriod, I'm assuming that when you turn on WiFi it automatically turns of Mobile Data correct? It just seems odd also that the JD icon appears constantly in the notification bar at the top left when it didn't use to. I have removed it, and then removed the JD backup file in the download folder, restarted the phone and then installed with no change. And still JD support has yet to respond to 3 emails now.. They really suck. Sorry but it's not what I expect from a popular app like JD.
    Is the red dot there when you are actually using your phone? Or do you mean when it is off and locked? Are you able to use the internet when the red dot is there?
    On my phone, the Red dot is always there when my phone is locked, but when I unlock it, after like 5 seconds it will connect to my wifi

Yes JD will automatically turn off Mobile Data when Wifi is on, but that is when its on "Balanced" mode, but you can play with the settings to prevent it from doing that. You can also prevent the notification from showing by turning off notifications...try doing "Custom" mode and see if you can play with the customs to work to whats best for you.

The JD notification will always stay in the notification bar as long as it is enabled...if its not there, it means its disabled, you can disable the notification if you do not like it though

Here are some of my JD settings hopefully this works for you:
    Make sure "Enable After Unlock" is on, and this will enable the data when you unlock your phone (When you open JD, slide left to see that option, under the Help tab)
    Also make sure that "Boot Workaround" is also on
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Update - JD in Balanced mode worked fine for two days an I had excellent battery life. But the last two nights have been awful. I woke up with a dead phone both yesterday and today. I am pretty bummed. Is something wrong with my phone? Is it looking for cell signal all night and killing the battery in the process? Is that what is happening? Is there something I can do to make the phone stop doing that? Also why does this seem to happen only at night when the phone is not being used? I am the most light user of the phone you can think of. I only have a few apps installed as I said before. I have no idea why this is happening.

ETA: Is there a setting in JD that stops this constant pinging for cell signal? Can somebody confirm that doing a factor reset will fix this issue?

Thanks.

smooth.. I found that JD does not disable mobile data, but somehow it got disabled. I did a battery pull, waited 30 seconds, replaced the battery and booted up again. Then re-installed JD and made sure mobile data was on. No more red dot. In fact I never see it now. However, I don't think I'm getting quite as much batter life as before, but it's still good. Since I don't have the paid version, I don't see any add'l setting when I tap 'customize', so can't really see how to play with settings. So far so good.

smooth.. I found that JD does not disable mobile data, but somehow it got disabled. I did a battery pull, waited 30 seconds, replaced the battery and booted up again. Then re-installed JD and made sure mobile data was on. No more red dot. In fact I never see it now. However, I don't think I'm getting quite as much batter life as before, but it's still good. Since I don't have the paid version, I don't see any add'l setting when I tap 'customize', so can't really see how to play with settings. So far so good.
    Well I know JD will only disable mobile data if its on Wifi, if you turn your WiFi off, then it will re-enable mobile data...at least that's what mine does, but as long as you fixed your problem then that's good!

I've had my S3 for two months with JD and was getting pretty good battery life but since I installed the recent AT&T OTA update, I can't make it a full day without my phone dying. I think it's the update that's causing the issue....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast