Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Micro SD Card Issues

I apologize if this question has been asked somewhere already. I've been looking all over for an answer today and have come up with nothing so far.

My husband and I switched over from iPhones to the S3 last night, and we're both having the same issue with our phones. We purchased 32gb micro sd cards today, and neither of the phones want to continue to write to the sd card. We have no issues using either PC or Mac to add music/photos/etc to the cards, everything is viewable/playable on the phones. The problem is that our camera won't to save to the sd card for any extended period of time. After taking a few pictures we get the message "cannot write in sd card, default storage changed to phone memory".

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Default Re: Micro SD Card Issues

You may have to reformat the sd card in the phone, in case there is an issue with the factory formatting or partitioning. This, of course, would mean that all data on the card will be erased, but it may be necessary.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    You may have to reformat the sd card in the phone, in case there is an issue with the factory formatting or partitioning. This, of course, would mean that all data on the card will be erased, but it may be necessary.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Yeah I would try this too...make sure you save all your photos on your PC in a folder before you format the MicroSD card
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Unfortunately that was one of the first things that we tried. Looks like we'll be exchanging the cards. Thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by LumaLynai View Post
    Unfortunately that was one of the first things that we tried. Looks like we'll be exchanging the cards. Thank you for the help.
    I would recommend SanDisk or Kingston brand cards...also make sure you get MicroSDHC cards...those work much better than regular SD and faster too

+1 on the SanDisk.. I picked up a 32gb Sandisk microSD (class 10) at Best Buy when it was on sale for $30 and had no problems at all..

I would stick with SanDisk as I have a 64 GB SanDisk micro sdxc Class 10 card.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
    Thanked by:

I picked up a 32gb Samsung Class 10 at Fry's for $24.99. Works great.

I had a similar issue. Format the card with FAT32 and not NTFS.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks for all the input. Picked up two SanDisk 32s at Best Buy for around $45 on Sunday. No problems since then. I am a little miffed at the fact that CompUSA wouldn't give me either a refund or in store credit for the two defective ones that I had a receipt for. We threw the packaging away when the cards were fine at first, apparently you must have those tiny scraps of cardboard & plastic to get any kind of refund.

Compusa? I thought they went out of business years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe55 View Post
    Compusa? I thought they went out of business years ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do soon judging by the state of their Tampa store. Are you thinking of Circuit City?
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    3,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    unNamed v2.2.1

CompUSA did go out of business. The name was bought by the company that owns tiger direct and they have a few stores open under the CompUSA brand. Same old name but different company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Howdy,

I just joined today and am having issues with my new S III and the SD cards. I bought Duracell 16GB microSD (class10) cards at Fry's for $13 each. I tried them in both mine and my daughter's phones and it will not work. The phone says it has 14.9GB of space on the card and I can see the card when I hook up to the PC. Problem is, I can't manipulate any data on it in the PC. I can copy, create folders on the Phone drive but not the SD drive. I also pulled the chip and used an adapter to read it like a thumb drive on the PC and it worked fine. After 45 min on a chat with Samsung last night, they informed me that I would have to use class2 or 4 cards....S III did not support class 10. I said you gotta be kidding me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

im having Micro SD card problems as well. mine is one minute my SD card memory could say 3.84 MBs then for no reason it will go WAY DOWN and be at 473kbs even though i never downloaded anything!!! my phone could be just sitting there and the sd card will lose memory. plz help me!!!!! i cant find nothing on my LG Optimus One and found something on here about sd card problems so i decided this is the forum to post on.

Quote Originally Posted by demonvamp666 View Post
    im having Micro SD card problems as well. mine is one minute my SD card memory could say 3.84 MBs then for no reason it will go WAY DOWN and be at 473kbs even though i never downloaded anything!!! my phone could be just sitting there and the sd card will lose memory. plz help me!!!!! i cant find nothing on my LG Optimus One and found something on here about sd card problems so i decided this is the forum to post on.
    Those are data transfer speeds not memory. Where are you reading those from?

Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    Those are data transfer speeds not memory. Where are you reading those from?
    from settings>SD card and phone storage>Sd card available space. so how would it be speeds on a cell phone if its the actual memory?!?!?

from settings>SD card and phone storage>Sd card available space. so how would it be speeds on a cell phone if its the actual memory?!?!?
    did you mean the memory available drops from 3.84 MB to 473 kB? what size card did you put in? did you format it first?

Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    did you mean the memory available drops from 3.84 MB to 473 kB? what size card did you put in? did you format it first?
    its a 2 gig, and it came with the phone. and yes the available memory.

Quote Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
    I had a similar issue. Format the card with FAT32 and not NTFS.
    No format ex fat so you dont have the 4gb file size limit, copyed a 10gb 1080p movie with success on exfat with my sandisk u1 64gb
    If on xp just google the extra support dl from microsoft.

Just beware not all phones support it so dont go poping it in to anything. Be carful

My otg 32gb san disk jump is also 32gb exfat. Class4 memory.

Sent from my SGH-T889

its a 2 gig, and it came with the phone. and yes the available memory.
    So a, go big
    B, go fast
    I like the 64gb sandisk class 10 u-1 card
    But atleast class 4 16gb

Now samsung has a rep of their class 10 having write speeds of 6mbps

First thing, put into phone, format fat32, or exfat preferd if ur phone supports it. Then copy a file with windows 7 or 8 and click more details on the copy n watch ur write speed. If not what advertised, exchange.

I have had good results with sandisk.
    Kingsont class 4 writes at 750kbps to 3.5mbps
    Samsung, see above.

Now your card. All trans flash, its not a question of iff it will go bad, but when, it iS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME. Like a car battery.

So backup often.

Sounds like your card is going bad.
    Try a format on your pc, [and not a quick one, use ccleaner and fill it with all zeros]

Sent from my SGH-T889

Can any one help me in this problem please......
    *I have a micro sd card of 8GP,one day it asked me to format it in mobile ,i also formatted it ,
    but now it again shows to format it,and it has also reduced to 30.6mb...
    AND now it is a big problem to me,can any one tell me how or were to recover it.please help me..

- - - Updated - - -

Can any one help me in this problem please......
    *I have a micro sd card of 8GP,one day it asked me to format it in mobile ,i also formatted it ,
    but now it again shows to format it,and it has also reduced to 30.6mb...
    AND now it is a big problem to me,can any one tell me how or were to recover it.please help me..