mount as disk drive

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how to mount my SGSIII, as a disk drive? Thanks in advance for any help.:)

P.S. I use a MacBook Pro, if that makes a difference.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Android doesn't work so well with Mac unless there is a driver somewhere... But u definitely can on Windows

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Android doesn't work so well with Mac unless there is a driver somewhere... But u definitely can on Windows

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

When i plugged in my HTC Vivid, i got the two icons on my home screen. One for internal memory, and the other for the sd card. I guess that i need Samsung drivers for my Mac.:)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
When i plugged in my HTC Vivid, i got the two icons on my home screen. One for internal memory, and the other for the sd card. I guess that i need Samsung drivers for my Mac.:)

Macs don't use "drivers" like Windows computers do. That's why you never see any in the wild. The problem with Macs is that they don't suppor the MTS protocol, which is what all the phones are starting to use (it's actually better because you don't get a limited partition for installing apps).

Back to the OP, no, you can't really "mount" the phone like a disk drive...due to the MTS protocol. Doing to would require the system partition to unmount from the phone so it could mount on the computer...which would obviously render the phone useless. Windows machines support MTS, so it does allow you to transfer files back and forth easily. It's still not "mounted" like a drive, but it's accessible in a similar way.

Macs, on the other hand, require Android File Transfer (AFT) application to read and write from the phone's memory. Unfortunately, AFT no longer works with Mountain Lion (Mac OS 10.8). Not sure if it's something Google can fix with an update or if Apple permanently broke it in the new OS. Either way, it really freaking sucks that we can't just plug this phone into the computer and go.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Macs don't use "drivers" like Windows computers do. That's why you never see any in the wild. The problem with Macs is that they don't suppor the MTS protocol, which is what all the phones are starting to use (it's actually better because you don't get a limited partition for installing apps).

Back to the OP, no, you can't really "mount" the phone like a disk drive...due to the MTS protocol. Doing to would require the system partition to unmount from the phone so it could mount on the computer...which would obviously render the phone useless. Windows machines support MTS, so it does allow you to transfer files back and forth easily. It's still not "mounted" like a drive, but it's accessible in a similar way.

Macs, on the other hand, require Android File Transfer (AFT) application to read and write from the phone's memory. Unfortunately, AFT no longer works with Mountain Lion (Mac OS 10.8). Not sure if it's something Google can fix with an update or if Apple permanently broke it in the new OS. Either way, it really freaking sucks that we can't just plug this phone into the computer and go.

I have Lion not Mountain Lion, but that doesn't seem to work either. I found out the hard way that Kies sucks, but good old Dropbox bailed me out.:)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I have Lion not Mountain Lion, but that doesn't seem to work either. I found out the hard way that Kies sucks, but good old Dropbox bailed me out.:)

Android File Transfer worked fantastic for me on Lion. It was perfect for transferring stuff to and from the phone...and it worked just like a mounted hard drive. Broke in Mountain Lion, though.

Endorphinity

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Works for me, configuration as follows:
MBP9,1 with Lion (10.7.5) and Acer Liquid Gallant Duo (ICS 4.0.3).
Will check how's Mountain Lion doing later.

james0tucson

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
So how do you accomplish this workflow?

1. Plug a Galaxy SIII into a Macbook Pro
2. Using rsync, copy a directory from the Macbook pro to the Phone's SD card.

If this is not possible, it's fundamentally a deal breaker.