Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By smooth4lyfe
  • 1 Post By spartanrob1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help me understand battery and usage

I'm new to Android, only a few days. I'm not complaining about the battery (yet) as I know i have to give it some cycles. But can you help me understand what these mean?
    On the history screen, what does Awake mean?
    My mobile signal is mostly yellow, i guess LTE is not great at my home (home office), could that be causing battery drain?
    I do have Juice Defender loaded.
    Also notice, the orange wifi down arrow (at the top), it's ALWAYS on.

EDIT: one more question, about Bluetooth. I leave it on all the time, but only use it in my car (Ford Sync) Is that an issue? in the past, i would leave it off, then forget to turn it on once I got in the car.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me understand battery and usage-screenshot_2012-10-10-16-05-13.png   Help me understand battery and usage-screenshot_2012-10-10-16-05-20.png  
    Last edited by spartanrob1; 10-10-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: Help me understand battery and usage

Screen means that you cell phone is on and actually being used, so according to the chart, the screen or your phone being unlocked is causing 35% of your battery drain...you could deacrease this by lowering the brightness of the screen to about 20%-30%, which will save u a lot of battery and still be visible

Cell Standby is when your phone is using cell signal and thats causing 20% which is pretty average

Awake means unlocked, pretty much when your phone is being used, it is "awake", and when it is locked, it is "sleeping"

The orange wifi means some data is being downloaded or used from Wifi...its not a problem...maybe something is syncing, but its nothing to worry about

LTE is one of the biggest battery drainers of the phone, but since you have Juice Defender, it shouldnt be too much of an issue

Also do not have any of your apps sync too often, which will cause a lot of battery drain...have them sync every 1hr

Your battery life is looking pretty good though!

As for Bluetooth, there is no problem leaving it on, as it seems not to be affecting your battery as much...but just dont turn anything on you do not need...if you use bluetooth frequently or daily, you can leave it on no problem, but if you never or hardly use bluetooth, you should just turn it off and turn it on when you need it
    spartanrob1 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your input
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Do you have spotty wifi or something? Are you constantly moving in and out of wifi range? That should be a solid blue bar. When wifi goes off, the phone switches data to 3G/4G. If your 3G and 4G signals are weak (which it looks like they are), they'll destroy your battery. LTE alone doesn't drain nearly as much as weak HSPA and/or LTE signals do. Looks to me as if the wifi is cutting out and switching the phone to poor cell data signal. That's probably the main culprit of the battery drain.

I generally keep bluetooth on all the time, and I notice no difference in battery drain with it on or off.

There is another issue with the battery randomly plummeting. Seems to be a combination of (1) being connected to wifi, (2) being in an LTE coverage area, and (3) having an update available in the Google Play store. If all three of these things are present, the battery will suddenly start to drain faster. See this thread for screenshots and random bouts of annoyance: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...a-plummet.html
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks. I have Juice Defender which turns the wifi off when the screen locks. Maybe that's what causing it. Mayne tomorrow I'll try turning JD off???
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Default Re: Help me understand battery and usage IMPROVEMENT

UPDATE:
    IMPROVEMENT!!!

So today, I re-configured Juice Defender to NOT touch wifi, left it on all day while it still controlled data activity and I saw, IMO, a significant improvement. about 2 more hours of use. I would say my usage is similar day to day. The other factor could be another charge cycle on the phone/battery, but i'm happy
    I did also reduce my screen brightness by about 15%

Tomorrow, I'm thinking about disabling JD all together to see what happens. But, LTE is spotty in my area, so i'm not sure what will happen.

More to come, but today was a good day in the battery world...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me understand battery and usage-screenshot_2012-10-11-19-21-50.png   Help me understand battery and usage-screenshot_2012-10-11-19-22-00.png  
    KreepyKen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    Screen means that you cell phone is on and actually being used, so according to the chart, the screen or your phone being unlocked is causing 35% of your battery drain...you could deacrease this by lowering the brightness of the screen to about 20%-30%, which will save u a lot of battery and still be visible

Cell Standby is when your phone is using cell signal and thats causing 20% which is pretty average

Awake means unlocked, pretty much when your phone is being used, it is "awake", and when it is locked, it is "sleeping"

The orange wifi means some data is being downloaded or used from Wifi...its not a problem...maybe something is syncing, but its nothing to worry about

LTE is one of the biggest battery drainers of the phone, but since you have Juice Defender, it shouldnt be too much of an issue

Also do not have any of your apps sync too often, which will cause a lot of battery drain...have them sync every 1hr

Your battery life is looking pretty good though!

As for Bluetooth, there is no problem leaving it on, as it seems not to be affecting your battery as much...but just dont turn anything on you do not need...if you use bluetooth frequently or daily, you can leave it on no problem, but if you never or hardly use bluetooth, you should just turn it off and turn it on when you need it
    Hey partner, have been reading sum of ur posts and I would like to know how do I go about setting the time for my apps to sync? I have "Juice Defender" installed but I'm still looking for ways to conserve battery life. Any info will be greatly appreciated.