4G LTE = HOT phone

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if this is normal. I spend most of my days working from home and on WiFi. This evening we went out and was on 4G, no WiFi and the phone got really hot.
In GSam it looks almost like a 20 degree swing (screenshot below). Once I got back home, it cooled off.

Again, is this normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-12-21-16-17.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-12-21-16-17.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 55

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes your phone will run a bit hotter it seems with LTE running.

I think it's the combination of the radio and it drawing more power from the battery causing it to discharge faster in turn creating more heat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dhanna2

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have been having the same problems. It doesn't happen all the time but every other day or so my S3 will get real warm or hot and the battery runs down really fast. I have been making sure that nothing is running in the background. Has anybody else had that problem?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been having the same problems. It doesn't happen all the time but every other day or so my S3 will get real warm or hot and the battery runs down really fast. I have been making sure that nothing is running in the background. Has anybody else had that problem?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

I have the same problem from time to time. I wouldn't be to concerned with it unless it becomes a regular occurrence. Even then most phones have a built in temp monitor that will shut the device down if things get to hot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed a direct connection between heat while being on 4G. If I am on LTE, it's not too bad, but as soon as the phone switches over to 4G it gets pretty hot when I am using it. According to GSam this evening I was around 105 degrees and losing about 1% per minute when I was making a call. This is the one issue I absolutely hate about this phone. When I am on LTE, it is warm, around 85 degrees or so when using it. My solution is when I notice it is happening, I end the call or finish what I was doing and shutdown the phone and pull the battery for a few minutes. This is the quickest way I cool down the phone/battery. As heat will zap a battery pretty quickly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad