Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gabby angus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone boots into ODIN mode - Help please (not trying to root)

Well, my wife went to church today and when she came home her phone is booting into ODIN mode. Any ideas? I didn't know it was possible to randomly do that. I asked her if anyone had access to her phone. She says it was in her purse all day. It apparently went in working, came out with an android symbol and saying "Downloading - Please wait".

Any ideas?

Default Re: Phone boots into ODIN mode - Help please (not trying to root)

If she or anyone else were not attempting to boot the phone, she must not have had the screen locked when it was in her purse. That said the phones power button bumped something and something else bumped the context menu that comes up and selected restart. Next something had to be compressing two keys (the home and down volume keys) at the same time as the power button to get into download mode. Sounds a bit far fetched if not rooted wth a utility installed that allows booting into download mode directly...

Anyway to get out of download mode, pull the battery, wait 5s, re-insert the battery and then power up the phone. If it comes back in download mode something else is wrong. Please report back.
    Current Device:Samsung GSIII
    Samsung Note, GS II and SkyRocket
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'll try that, thanks. I asked her repeatedly if anyone had her phone today for that very reason. It seems far fetched to me to.

Let me see if pulling the battery works.

EDIT: No, pulling the battery doesn't work. She wants to take it to the AT&T store. I told her not to be surprised if they give her **** about it. Note that neither her phone or mine is rooted. I asked her again if the phone was out of her sight today...she says no. She says "something happened", she thought it powered down so she charged it up at church (she teaches a class there on Sundays). She says she may have been holding the with the volume keys pressed while turning it on. For some reason, she started pressing other buttons "to get it to come back on". Your guess is as good as mine as to what exactly happened. She cannot explain what was happening in such a manner that I can even guess what was on the screen, or what the phone was doing when all this happened. If she wasn't my wife, I'd be saying "B.S.".

I guess she'll take it to AT&T and see what they have say about it. I'm not exactly expecting too much from them.
    Last edited by Scythe55; 10-21-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Even a bad rooting experience will not do this. I have had several devices and done all kinds of playing. If you get stuck a battery pull should do it for something like this.
    Current Device:Samsung GSIII
    Samsung Note, GS II and SkyRocket
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It must be the phone then..... Pulling battery does nothing. It goes right back into boot mode.

Update: AT&T is replacing the phone. Thanks for the comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by Scythe55; 10-23-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Are you missing the OS? After a bad root I wiped ICS and interrupted the update because of a power outage. It came on every time after that until I reflashed the firmware.

Same thing happened to my phone! I did nothing to prompt it to do that I don't even know why it did that. Last time I had looked at it it was shutting down because the battery was dead. About an hour later I felt it getting warm in the car seat with me and it was in "ODIN mode." Waiting for a battery to charge on the charger (my charging port is broken.) I hope it's not just totally messed up

Default Re: Phone boots into ODIN mode - Help please

I cant turn on my phone because it restarts himself everytime, i pushed volume and power key at the same time and im downloading something in odin mode, how much time does it takes?

hello i have samsung galaxy wonder. i got to the recovery menu because my phone was not booting so i pressed on wipe data/factory reset.and now my phone doesn't boot, it is stuck on samsung galaxy wonder GT-I8150. then i tried to install gingerbread software from the odin mode but my phone always get into the download mode and i can not do anything.please i need a solution.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

As I mentioned, this was my wife's phone and AT&T replaced the phone. I'm pretty sure it was user error.

IMyrseli - If it's in ODIN mode, it's waiting for a download....it's not actually downloading anything. Hopefully you've already resolved the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by IMyrseli View Post
    I cant turn on my phone because it restarts himself everytime, i pushed volume and power key at the same time and im downloading something in odin mode, how much time does it takes?
    If you're not connected to Odin on a PC, you're not really downloading anything. It's just sitting there waiting for a download to start. You can get out of it by pulling the battery.

What are you trying to do?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Thumbs up Re: Phone boots into ODIN mode - Help please (not trying to root)

My phone went into odin mode, and i left it for a
    couple of mins and then held down the home button
    and the power button together. It did the trick as i am typing
    this on my phone. Pulling out the battery wont help for odin mode a
    as the download stays on the screen. Basically, the phone is
    waiting for a reboot
    Thanked by 2:
    Biridiana Sanchez likes this.

Thumbs up Re: Phone boots into ODIN mode - Help please (not trying to root)

omg so i read your comment i want to thank god that i did what you told me, my phone works perfectlyyy!
    how amazing!

didnt do it what should i do? :-(