Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Link music from external SD card to internal SD card?

Good Morning Everyone!

Is it possible (either through sorcery or an app) to store music on my external SD card but have a link to it on my internal one? Thus creating the illusion to some devices (in this specific case my Ford Focus with Sync) that music actually exists on the primary partition. Apparently Sync only acknowledges music on the internal SD card when I connect it via USB. It's blind to the external SD card where I'm now storing my music. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way that Sync will see my phone's internal and external SD cards as one device so I'm thinking there may be a way to trick it into thinking that there's actually music on my internal SD card when it's really on my external.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Link music from external SD card to internal SD card?

THIS app may be what you are looking for.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I tried that but didn't have much luck. I may have to keep at it though. I do appreciate the tip! :-)

Have you tried link2sd? I've not tried it yet but it solved a lot of problems with my memory limited HTC. I am asking the same question and will try it with my new Samsung Note 10.1
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I tried Link2SD but it seems to only work with applications. I'm not concerned about using up space for applications. I tried DirectoryBind and that creates a hardlink from my ExternalSD to my InternalSD (or whatever route I want). That didn't work either as my car still didn't recognize the music. Although with DirectoryBind I did notice some unusual behavior regarding storage. If I went to Settings -> Storage then it would say I have 9.45 out of 12.05 GB free. Yet I had 2.04GB taken up for apps and 2.05GB taken up for music. Odd. But if I went into the Task Manager and the Storage tab it would read that I had only used up about 2.5GB of storage. It was as if the music was being ignored. My external SD still read properly. Another thing to note is that if I browsed the contents of my phone through any number of programs (e.g. My Files, Astro File Manager, Windows Explorer) then it would list my media in two locations. Same file name, file type and same size. I ended uninstalling DirectoryBind, formatting my external SD card and leaving it alone. I'm just beginning to think I won't be able to find a worthwhile solution to my problem.

So I used doubletwist to install my music onto my ext sd card. That worked really well, no linking required. Seemed like a simple solution,
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

What does that app do? It looks like another music player.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByBFG View Post
    What does that app do? It looks like another music player.
    Yes, it is like iTunes with hardly any features, you get a copy for your computer and app for your Samsung. Then make playlists and download to ext sd card
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks for the tip but that program doesn't satisfy the goal that I wished to achieve in my post. My Ford Focus's Sync system will read music from my USB if it's on my internal SD card but not from my External SD card. I was hoping to have a link for the music reside on my internal card so that my car would read it. Alas it didn't quite work out.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

You might try emailing these guys @ iSyncr. They've been very helpful to me. Sometimes it might take a day or two two before you hear back, but they always get back with you.

If you do email them, address your question(s) attn: Chris & Justin @ isyncr@jrtstudio.com