Why no Settings > More settings > 'USB Utilities'...on GS3 w/ ICS 4.0.4?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
'USB Utilities' ...was under [Settings > More settings >] on the Skyrocket I had for a couple weeks before swapping it for the GS3. My wife's Galaxy Note (also running ICS 4.0.4) has 'USB Utilities' under [Settings > More settings >], so why doesn't the GS3, I'm wondering?

Instead there's: 'Kies via Wi-Fi'. Like they're trying to force persuade (via sublimable suggestion?) user's to use Kies.

So then, with the GS3 we don't need the 'Connect via USB' & 'Mass Storage Device Connected' & 'Disconnect USB Mass Storage'?button/commands that are used under 'USB Utilities'?

Thanks for any replies.

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
If you load all the drivers there is nothing else you really need to do at least on the stock ROM. You get the options in the banner when you hook up the device and it is auto mounted/unmounted when you connect/disconnect it. Other than that drag and drop are working fine.

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much, shansmi. ;) I was wondering if that was the case, as my GS3 is recognized instantly under 'My Computer' as a 'Samsung-SCH-I747' drive; then when I expand it—it shoes a: 'Card 29.71 GB' . .and a: 'Phone 11.95 GB'.

Also, whenever I plug-in the USB cable....the little iSyncr window auto-launches, and displays: iSyncr - Choose Sync Drive: [Samsung-SCH-I747 - Phone 11.95 GB] [Samsung-SCH-I747 - Card 29.71 GB]. . . (iSyncr is what I've been using thus far.)

Plus, another standard little Windows dialog window opens, called: 'Portable Device', you know, the one that always says 'What do you want Windows to do?' Then the three choices of: 'Open device to view files using Windows Explorer' . . . ' Sync digital media files to this device' . . . & . ' Take no action'.

Thanks again, for your reply.
Btw, I did find an interesting article, last night, on: HOW TO Enable USB Mass Storage Mode in Samsung Galaxy S3

EDIT . . . Weird thing is though, it doesn't show-up under the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon down in the systray. Does the GS3 USB cable not need to be (dismounted?) or safely ejected via a computer or phone command? Thanks so much, if you get another op to reply. ;-)

Last edited:

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Your welcome! No need to worry about the S3, it is FAT32 and not NTFS. Some of the older NTFS drives need to be unmounted or you risk corruption but I have not had any issues with thumb or USB external drives just unhooking them. I run Win7 x64 on an ASUS G75VW.

I have never had any issues just unhooking the device with my class 10 32GB cards and so far none with my class 10 64GB card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech