AT&T Galaxy S3 - Home Screen Weather Location

Kidrockerz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am kinda new to this new phone and trying all my best to learn all the basics. However, I can't figure it out on how to change the weather location in my home screen. I tried to upload and uninstall the accu-weather app but it's still the same. The accu-weather in my home screen shows a different place somewhere like couple miles away from my area. It's a minor one but it's annoying. I even went to AT&T store to fix it but nothing happened. Any help will be much appreciated.

Kidrockerz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Home Screen Weather Location

I actually did that but it's still the same. It's the home screen so everytime I unlocked it, it shows the wrong weather location.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Hi Kidrockerz,

I'm new to Android & the GS3 too, but this is what I did, for what it's worth. There might be a better or faster way, but this way should work; (btw... my GS3 is running ICS 4.0.4).

First, make sure that your Wi-Fi is turned on—and then under 'Settings' > 'Location services'...make sure that the top check-box at—'Use wireless networks'—is checked.

*Note: The 'Weather 4x2' widget was already on my home screen, if I recall correctly, when I first booted the phone. If yours isn't, you can move the 'Weather 4x2'—from you app drawer—to your home screen.

Then tap on the weather widget—then on the next screen (title-bar: 'Weather'), tap on your menu capacitive button and select 'Edit'—then on the next screen (title-bar: 'Edit'), tap the 'Current city' button to 'On'—if it isn't already on by default. Okay, then, if your correct city doesn't come up...tap again on your menu capacitive button and select 'Search'—then type in your desired city & state abbreviation in the 'Search cities' field; [e.g.- Double Trouble, NJ ], and tap the search icon.

Or, after tapping on the weather widget—you can also just tap on the [ + ] on the right-side of the (title-bar: 'Weather')—then type your desired city & state abbreviation in the 'Search cities' field; [e.g.- Slickpoo, ID ], and tap the search icon.

You can continue to add more cities with either method.

Hope that might be of some help to you. ;)

Jack

PS— On the (title-bar: 'Edit') screen, tap the 'Current city' button to 'Off'—and go back to 'Settings' > 'Location services'...and un-check the 'Use wireless networks' check-box—if you want to run w/ optimum battery saving, or until you need to turn your 'Location services' back on.

Kidrockerz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Bro. However, my lockscreen weather location indicates a different place. I am not really sure weather it's because of the satellite tower to where I live or not.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Did you already follow the procedures suggestions I suggested above. . .and after doing so, is your 'lockscreen weather location' still indicating a different place? Did you try typing in the exact city & state abbrev. — in the search field of the weather widget?

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Yes. I followed your procedure and it worked except on the locked screen.
Hmmm. That's odd. Well, I guess I don't have any other suggestions. Except for un-checking the option to put your weather 'on the locked screen'. Maybe just leave the time & date 'on the locked screen'? But if you really want the weather 'on the locked screen'... then maybe the downloadable Samsung .pdf manual and/or something in the AT&T tutorials might help; or you could call, or email, or chat w/ AT&T or Sammy Customer Care . . . if someone doesn't happen along in the next day or two with an answer for you here. There must be some other way to get your location dialed in.

pobs123

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site

Under Settings -- Security and lock screen -- Lock Screen Options:

Is "Weather: Show current location's weather on lock screen" - OFF or ON ?

My guess is that you have the following:

Weather on lock screen = ON
GPS = OFF

So your phone is trying to get the current location from the cell towers, which is not as accurate as the GPS. So it lists the weather for a small town, village or some dot on the map - that is near your current location.

Kidrockerz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Hmmm. That's odd. Well, I guess I don't have any other suggestions. Except for un-checking the option to put your weather 'on the locked screen'. Maybe just leave the time & date 'on the locked screen'? But if you really want the weather 'on the locked screen'... then maybe the downloadable Samsung .pdf manual and/or something in the AT&T tutorials might help; or you could call, or email, or chat w/ AT&T or Sammy Customer Care . . . if someone doesn't happen along in the next day or two with an answer for you here. There must be some other way to get your location dialed in.

I have no choice but to disable my weather location in the locked screen. I will try to call or email with AT&T if they have solution on this. Thanks Bro.

Kidrockerz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Under Settings -- Security and lock screen -- Lock Screen Options:

Is "Weather: Show current location's weather on lock screen" - OFF or ON ?

My guess is that you have the following:

Weather on lock screen = ON
GPS = OFF

So your phone is trying to get the current location from the cell towers, which is not as accurate as the GPS. So it lists the weather for a small town, village or some dot on the map - that is near your current location.

Yeah, you're right but I tried to check the GPS or even the two options but it still shows different village from where I live. In the meantime, I will unchecked that thing to my lockedscreen while I looking for a solution. Thanks Bro.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Its probably because AccuWeather isn't aware of your village, town etc.

I have had that same problem with different weather apps. The are I live in isnt part of a town etc and is part of the county area. Most weather apps show the nearest town about 5 miles away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Bruce Burke

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

You have to go in, disable the current city.

Then type in the city you want in the search pane and it will accept that.

Melora Church

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Hi - I need help with trying to have 2 different locations on my home screen? Every time I try to change 1, it changes both!
Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome