Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Having been a loyal iphone user for 5 years, I can tell you I'm happy I changed over to the Galaxy S3. However, the lack of updates are pathetic? When will AT&T release Jelly Bean? It's a shame we are at the mercy of the cell companies. Next time I buy an Android device, I'm buying a device direct from Google so I get immediate updates. 4.2 is already coming out, and we haven't even gotten 4.1 yet. /end rant
  2. #2  
    TheIowaKid's Avatar

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    ROM
    PA 3.99

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    If you really want JB have you considered just rooting and using a custom ROM? Its not that hard and you can have the best of both worlds. I love pure stock Android but I also love the s3 hardware. I currently get to enjoy both.

    Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    I installed CyanongenMod tonight and absolutely love it! The best of both worlds. I can't believe how fast my S3 is in Jelly Bean and without the bloatware. You will not regret it!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  
    Rancid88's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS/Cyanogenmod

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    I don't understand why getting jellybean is so important I picked the phone up and loved it and still do, and I flashed cyanogenmod, paranoid android, black jelly and aokp, and after all of that I just went back to stock and haven't looked back Samsung did it right this time and though every other phone I have owned has had some kind of rom and was most likely overclocked I see no reason to slap cyanogenmod on it maybe an aosp rom compiled for this phone would be nice.....

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    The problem is that you like the rest of us AT&T users is that were with At&t. AT&T could care less about jelly bean or about getting it on your phone now that they have your money. With Verizon about to release JB it would not surprise me if at&t never releases it or waits until next year. AT&T doesn't follow and setting trends that don't begin with Iphone is not something they do. They have your money and your locked in a contract, weather your happy is not of importance to them. If I wasn't still getting a corporate discount from my last employer I would drop at&t, but alas I like saving money and I would have to pay more to go anywhere else. So for now I stay with the devil known as at&t and I curse them.
  6. #6  
    Targon's Avatar

    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Newtoandroid99 View Post
    The problem is that you like the rest of us AT&T users is that were with At&t. AT&T could care less about jelly bean or about getting it on your phone now that they have your money. With Verizon about to release JB it would not surprise me if at&t never releases it or waits until next year. AT&T doesn't follow and setting trends that don't begin with Iphone is not something they do. They have your money and your locked in a contract, weather your happy is not of importance to them. If I wasn't still getting a corporate discount from my last employer I would drop at&t, but alas I like saving money and I would have to pay more to go anywhere else. So for now I stay with the devil known as at&t and I curse them.
    Verizon has NOT set a release for JB, so don't assume that a leaked firmware image means they are ahead of the game. AT&T is ready to release JB, but is dragging its feet for no reason, other than "Verizon has not released it yet, so why should we?". It is fairly pathetic, but not any worse than Verizon at this point.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Newtoandroid99 View Post
    The problem is that you like the rest of us AT&T users is that were with At&t. AT&T could care less about jelly bean or about getting it on your phone now that they have your money. With Verizon about to release JB it would not surprise me if at&t never releases it or waits until next year. AT&T doesn't follow and setting trends that don't begin with Iphone is not something they do. They have your money and your locked in a contract, weather your happy is not of importance to them. If I wasn't still getting a corporate discount from my last employer I would drop at&t, but alas I like saving money and I would have to pay more to go anywhere else. So for now I stay with the devil known as at&t and I curse them.
    I would sell my S3 and try the Nexus 4, but it's lacking LTE... Guess I will wait for AT&T... Too bad Samsung doesn't have more leverage with the cell phone companies to expedite OS updates.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    This is the very reason I will be getting a Nexus 4. I love my S3, but the lack of Jelly Bean from AT&T is utterly pathetic. There's no amount of excuses that can justify their laziness.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
    riderrick65 likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    I really would get the Nexus for if it wasn't for the lack of MicroSD card. I NEED that so that's a kill for me getting the Nexus 4

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
  10. #10  
    D16RR's Avatar

    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    The Nexus is a non-starter for me also. No LTE, no removable battery.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Pretty much. Coming soon has lost all meaning with Google

    Milly
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by brkaras View Post
    Pretty much. Coming soon has lost all meaning with Google

    Milly
    Google has nothing to do with it. It is att. I'm sure all the US carriers got jb to test all at the.same time.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Martinezma99 View Post
    I installed CyanongenMod tonight and absolutely love it! The best of both worlds. I can't believe how fast my S3 is in Jelly Bean and without the bloatware. You will not regret it!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    This is very true. I'm not even concerned with the official update anymore now that I'm using CM10. The stock Android experience is far better than any skin to me anyway.
    Martinezma99 likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Samsung haven't even released Jelly Bean for S2 yet. Then there's the carriers distribution process... The S3 will be in the same position next year. So yea, in your own words, it's pretty pathetic compared to how you can still update a 3 year old iPhone with the latest iOS, let alone the minor versions, all immediately.
    Last edited by onevivip; 11-04-2012 at 10:11 PM.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Which monthly or nightly are you using? I updated to 11.3 with no issues. It now includes a file manager.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Please keep in mind that At&t did the same thing with the Galaxy Note in regards to updating from Gingerbread to ICS. I understand that it was a larger leap with that device however my point is the carrier is going to do what it wants to do. HTC OneX owners will be experiencing the same issue with the carrier in regards to the update to Jelly Bean.
  17. #17  
    jjb70's Avatar

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    You guys using CM10, I have yet to find a release that fixes the low recording volume on video recorder. What say you?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid88 View Post
    don't understand why getting jellybean is so important I picked the phone up and loved it and still do, and I flashed cyanogenmod, paranoid android, black jelly and aokp, and after all of that I just went back to stock and haven't looked back
    That is exactly what I did as well. I am very happy with the stock rom. I just couldn't stand some of the features the custom roms removed.
    How do we know we are not brains in a V.A T.S ?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by BBrefugee View Post
    no removable battery
    that is a big negative for me. I love changing batteries on my GS3. I rarely charge my phone.
    How do we know we are not brains in a V.A T.S ?
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by onevivip View Post
    Samsung haven't even released Jelly Bean for S2 yet. Then there's the carriers distribution process... The S3 will be in the same position next year. So yea, in your own words, it's pretty pathetic compared to how you can still update a 3 year old phone with the latest OS, let alone the minor versions, all immediately.
    Apples upgrades for iOS go straight through Apple. No ridiculous excuses about the carrier needing to test the firmware, etc...The only difference I can think of with Apple, and iOS is the fact that they announce a new version of iOS 3 months in advance which gives everyone from carriers, to developers time to test it out before public release. The fact that Samsung has Jelly Bean ready, and now we're only waiting on AT&T, and Verizon to approve this release is in fact pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I still love my device regardless, but holding back a release until they're ready makes no sense. Project Butter, and Google Now is all I care about, don't want to be bothered with rooting my phone either.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
  21. #21  
    Targon's Avatar

    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXe View Post
    Apples upgrades for iOS go straight through Apple. No ridiculous excuses about the carrier needing to test the firmware, etc...The only difference I can think of with Apple, and iOS is the fact that they announce a new version of iOS 3 months in advance which gives everyone from carriers, to developers time to test it out before public release. The fact that Samsung has Jelly Bean ready, and now we're only waiting on AT&T, and Verizon to approve this release is in fact pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I still love my device regardless, but holding back a release until they're ready makes no sense. Project Butter, and Google Now is all I care about, don't want to be bothered with rooting my phone either.
    Don't forget that iOS has not really evolved all that much the past two versions. The move to iOS 4 brought a bit more multi-tasking, but then has only added a few features, but not really a lot of changes to the fundamental OS. Stagnant platforms are a lot easier to deploy updates for, since there is primarily testing of applications. Android on the other hand has seen a HUGE change from 2 to 3 to 4. Notice that going from 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2 will require a lot fewer fundamental changes, so we SHOULD see updates released more quickly. Apple also does its own support, and you may have noticed that AT&T will often send customers to Apple to deal with issues. If Samsung wanted to set up the support facilities to deal with customer calls/issues, I am sure they could charge the carriers more for devices.
  22. #22  
    alent1234's Avatar

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    iOS has to go through carrier testing like everyone else. the release is different. iOS release means its released to the users after all testing is done.
    Google releases the source code for a new OS and then its up to the manufacturer to make changes for each product and test it on each carrier. that takes months, just like it does with iOS
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Don't forget that iOS has not really evolved all that much the past two versions. The move to iOS 4 brought a bit more multi-tasking, but then has only added a few features, but not really a lot of changes to the fundamental OS. Stagnant platforms are a lot easier to deploy updates for, since there is primarily testing of applications. Android on the other hand has seen a HUGE change from 2 to 3 to 4. Notice that going from 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2 will require a lot fewer fundamental changes, so we SHOULD see updates released more quickly. Apple also does its own support, and you may have noticed that AT&T will often send customers to Apple to deal with issues. If Samsung wanted to set up the support facilities to deal with customer calls/issues, I am sure they could charge the carriers more for devices.
    Honestly you couldn't be more wrong. Each new iOS update regardless of how innovative or not takes Apple precisely 3 months from when they officially announce it to the public, and when each device becomes eligible to download it. Google announces a new version of Android, and most devices either never see it, or it takes them 6 months to a year to receive it, and by then they're already a firmware or 2 behind. Carrier branding sucks, and OEM skinning for the most part sucks too. Every Android device should be Nexus(similar to how MS is doing with WP), and all updates should be done through Google, and not the OEM, or carrier.

    Edit: If Android OEMs didn't make such awesome hardware I would have never jumped ship LOL! I love my S3, I just like to complain alot, and really want project butter, and Google Now. :P
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
    onevivip likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    I really would get the Nexus for if it wasn't for the lack of MicroSD card. I NEED that so that's a kill for me getting the Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by BBrefugee View Post
    The Nexus is a non-starter for me also. No LTE, no removable battery.
    But, but, but... Getting the next release of the operating system a little sooner is SO much more important than things like LTE, or removable batteries, or removable upgradeable storage...

    /sarcasm...
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!
  25. #25  
    Drayk's Avatar

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,926 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jelly Bean no where in sight?!

    Quote Originally Posted by jdot104 View Post
    This is very true. I'm not even concerned with the official update anymore now that I'm using CM10. The stock Android experience is far better than any skin to me anyway.
    Does CM10 have a functioning camera? I'm getting pretty frustrated waiting but I keep reading most leaks have something missing. If I load JB, I'd like to make sure its at least 99% complete
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jelly Bean update now in Egypt!
    By ZeyadHesham in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 09:59 AM
  2. Jelly Bean pushing out in Europe
    By icebike in forum Acer Iconia A700
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2012, 02:55 AM
  3. Jelly Bean Update Rolling in Sweeden
    By Treknologist in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer Prime
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 09:31 AM
  4. I need sgs3 for jelly bean no eror
    By awanikhwan in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
  5. I have a special BB ad with no TB in sight!!! (Pics)
    By potatolover1102 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

B