Can't Delete Text Conversations

carlt828

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I had a strange problem pop up last week. I can't delete text conversations. I go through the process and all that gets deleted are the actual text messages within the conversation. I am using Go SMS Pro for it's group messaging features. I've tried deleting old text messages in both Go SMS Pro as well as the stock messaging app. They both give me the same results. The conversations I've tried to delete end up at the bottom again with no text messages inside them. I've stopped the Go SMS Pro app and tried using the stock app but get the same results. I've also restarted and turned off the phone several times.

I've searched the forum but haven't been able to find anyone else with this sort of problem. The only thing I haven't done is to reset the phone. I've just gotten everything set up like I like it and would rather not if I can avoid it. (the backup/restore feature is one of the few things I miss from my iPhone).

Any ideas?

Subsound

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have problems with my messages too, except they say I have a message when I don't, does it with my emails too.. To delete the person out of the messages you have to delete the Thread not the messages within the thread.

carlt828

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
What's really weird is that after I try and delete a conversation and it comes back empty, it has a Dec 31st time stamp on it.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

niallm3

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue. I can clear the text message conversation but not contact name from the log. what gives samsung?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing the Cache of the stock messaging app and the GoSMS app
Settings -> Application Manager, then click the app and then click "Clear Cache"

Last edited:

carlt828

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing the Cache of the stock messaging app and the GoSMS app
Settings -> Application Manager, then click the app and then click "Clear Cache"

Thanks for the idea. I checked both and they show no cache saved. I stopped both apps and then cleared the data on both. I then restarted the phone and still have the same problem. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

rayanah

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Have you figured out a solution to your problem? I'm having the same issue and it's driving me crazy! It's been going on for a good few weeks and haven't been able to get an idea on what to do from anyone/anywhere!

sroche68

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
[SIZE= 6]Dog gone it! I have been going crazy Becuz this happened to me on Nov 1st. I been looking everywhere thinking ok Handcent having some issues. So I removed handcent thinking that was it. I put it back without looking at the Samsung galaxy note stock sms. To my unhappy surprise once reinstated handcent , hello they were all there with Dec 31, 1969. And the actual text messages were gone. So it started to bother me Becuz I delete all sms throughout the day if I am not in an on-going conversation. I do not like to fill my phone up with stuff I am not using. So aggravated I turned here thinking ok android having issues So surely I am not the only one. There has to be an answer here. Ok then really frustrated no one had started threads concerning this problem. So I re-installed handcent then I uninstalled handcent, back and forth messing with the settings in handcent. So I uninstalled handcent for the last time and started messing with the stock sms which I absolutely do not like. I love being able to change the different looks, sounds and things on my phone. Customizing apps the way I like them. Custom my friends and family text page differently according to their different personalities or their favorite song. Thank you Handcent. Ok I got off track.

So now right now for the last 18 days I have been using this boring looking sms app that came with my phone. Background options black or white. So can someone smart help US please. I really don't want to go through factory reset. I have a million apps I would have to put back.
Thanks ahead of time for whomever gives US a resolution.[/SIZE]

sroche68

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys n gals, I guess I am the smart help. Yea. I found it. Someone said
1. Go to your play store for Google
2. Download "history eraser" there are several and to save u time I will tell which one
Worked for me. history eraser.jpg
3. Once downloaded, open it
4. Click delete all sms and mms
Or if u want to clean more click it
5. Then hit clean.
Done
I guess another good quick free apphope it works for you all too
The you all

carlt828

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yessir, that did the trick. Now everything appears to be working correctly.

I wonder what happened around Oct 31st /Nov 1st?

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

TopGeak

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Does the History Eraser delete locked SMS/MSM?

ETA: Took a chance and downloaded it. Tried to utilize it and it just hangs, with a "Please Wait/Processing" message. How long does it normally take to delete full history settings?

CherylK1

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the Droid Bionic and used the Go SMS app. I am having the same problem. So I deleted Go SMS but it has also affected my regular text app as well. I can delete the convo but the contact stays there and all my dates say Dec 31, 1969 7:00pm. I tried contacting the Go SMS people, no response. I cannot figure a way to get rid of this. Any luck???

CherylK1

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
OK just found a fix. Went to another forum. Go directly to the app, open the settings where it has the 3 tabs: "general", "services" and "more". open the "more" tab There is a "delete all" key. hit that and it even deleted all my factory installed text app "Ghosts" as well.

veepulbb

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact problem.. but i dont want to delete all my messages.. just those empty messages with names.. Any suggestions for that?

Danielle Blauser

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much!!! I had the same problem on my Galaxy Note and the app did the trick of deleting the blank messages in my stock messaging app. I am using Go SMS and love it. I would have hated to think it was the app's fault. :D

saradindu7

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Yessir, that did the trick. Now everything appears to be working correctly.

I wonder what happened around Oct 31st /Nov 1st?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

well firstly I am facing the same issue with my note 2 and secondly the history eraser app blindly deletes all messages in the phone!
Is it possible to selectively delete only the "abnormally present blank" messages?
and thirdly, the problem recurs with new text messages sent/received after the deletion

Would be very glad if someone can help on this..
thanks in advance!

Eslam Hemayed

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
i had the same problem .... go to messages ... press menu .... delete threads .... mark the desired contacts .... press delete .... close messages and open it again .... that solved the problem for me ...... btw after doing that when i long press any messages and choose delete threads it works fine and remove the threads with the contact name which didn't work for me at first ... hope that be helpful