Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lordielordie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Preventing the home button from waking up the phone.

Is there a way to prevent the home button from waking up the phone when the screen is off?

Since the button is mechanical, and not recessed like an iPhone button, it gets pressed by accident too many times. The display comes on when the phone is in my pocket, while I'm carrying it in my hand, placing it face down on an uneven surface, etc.
    Is there a way to disable the wake up function of the button? Why not just use the power button, like any other Android phone?

AlbertSzeel likes this.

Default Re: Preventing the home button from waking up the phone.

Hmmm, what difference would it make? Are you trying to save battery? Or is it like a pet peeve that it comes on. I use the home button to turn on my phone sometimes and prefer to have both, but I'm not too sure of the option to turn it off.

You must have a lot of things in ur pocket that it automatically turns on or a loose home button...you could also find a case that raises a bit above the front of the phone so it doesn't touch the eneven surface your placing it on

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Sure, but with stock TW it might sound like he's lost bladder control.

Uh, yeah. I have something in my pocket when I take it out or put it in. Four fingers and a thumb. What difference does recessed make? I guess I could tape a string on it to pull it out.. But how will I put it in my pocket without holding it?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmholland View Post
    Uh, yeah. I have something in my pocket when I take it out or put it in. Four fingers and a thumb. What difference does recessed make? I guess I could tape a string on it to pull it out.. But how will I put it in my pocket without holding it?
    You do realize you replied to a 6 month old thread, right? Apparently with no goal but to make snide comments. But assuming you're not just trying to be annoying:

Maybe I'm unusually dexterous, but I can't recall EVER pressing the home button while putting the phone into, or taking it out of, my pocket. I put it in my pocket with the home button at bottom, and grab my phone near the top, not the bottom. How does touching the screen when it's turned off, or the sides of the phone, cause it to turn on? And how does holding the phone near the top possibly cause the home button to be depressed? How do you hold your phone?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Sorry. I was frustrated with my new Note 2 turning on when I didn't want it to. The power button is very sensitive for me. I donít like to put my phone in my pocket but I couldn't find a holster yet. Then I learned the home button turns it on also. Then I learned moving the stylus turns it on also. Then I heard it can happen spontaneously or from things ďsuch as dropping your phoneĒ (I know itís not a dropping problem). Then I heard it can be a software problem, update or maybe backup and reset. A Samsung thread suggested a turn on air gesture setting is available for an S4 but that option isnít on my sprint phone. I felt forced to get an Otter Box. Now I know how some pistol carrying people feel. Itís big (huge). But now I donít have any problems with it turning on sporadically. I had to learn to use the ON button. It takes a firm squeeze at the exact location to feel the click. Real firm.
    TODAY my headache is coming to grips that certain micro usb cables are charge only or data only. I donít believe it. What makes it worse is the exact the same cables, same part numbers, with some identical phones do it or donít do it. What a story or variables.

I have no problem replying to an old thread - especially if it gets me an answer. In this case, it doesn't look like an answer was ever posted. All I've found, so far, is how to disable it on an Note 2 that has been rooted. I have a Galaxy S4 Active from AT&T, so that would not apply.