Preventing the home button from waking up the phone.

lordielordie

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to prevent the home button from waking up the phone when the screen is off?

Since the button is mechanical, and not recessed like an iPhone button, it gets pressed by accident too many times. The display comes on when the phone is in my pocket, while I'm carrying it in my hand, placing it face down on an uneven surface, etc.
Is there a way to disable the wake up function of the button? Why not just use the power button, like any other Android phone?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, what difference would it make? Are you trying to save battery? Or is it like a pet peeve that it comes on. I use the home button to turn on my phone sometimes and prefer to have both, but I'm not too sure of the option to turn it off.

You must have a lot of things in ur pocket that it automatically turns on or a loose home button...you could also find a case that raises a bit above the front of the phone so it doesn't touch the eneven surface your placing it on

malcolmholland

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Uh, yeah. I have something in my pocket when I take it out or put it in. Four fingers and a thumb. What difference does recessed make? I guess I could tape a string on it to pull it out.. But how will I put it in my pocket without holding it?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Uh, yeah. I have something in my pocket when I take it out or put it in. Four fingers and a thumb. What difference does recessed make? I guess I could tape a string on it to pull it out.. But how will I put it in my pocket without holding it?

You do realize you replied to a 6 month old thread, right? Apparently with no goal but to make snide comments. But assuming you're not just trying to be annoying:

Maybe I'm unusually dexterous, but I can't recall EVER pressing the home button while putting the phone into, or taking it out of, my pocket. I put it in my pocket with the home button at bottom, and grab my phone near the top, not the bottom. How does touching the screen when it's turned off, or the sides of the phone, cause it to turn on? And how does holding the phone near the top possibly cause the home button to be depressed? How do you hold your phone?

malcolmholland

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. I was frustrated with my new Note 2 turning on when I didn't want it to. The power button is very sensitive for me. I don?t like to put my phone in my pocket but I couldn't find a holster yet. Then I learned the home button turns it on also. Then I learned moving the stylus turns it on also. Then I heard it can happen spontaneously or from things ?such as dropping your phone? (I know it?s not a dropping problem). Then I heard it can be a software problem, update or maybe backup and reset. A Samsung thread suggested a turn on air gesture setting is available for an S4 but that option isn?t on my sprint phone. I felt forced to get an Otter Box. Now I know how some pistol carrying people feel. It?s big (huge). But now I don?t have any problems with it turning on sporadically. I had to learn to use the ON button. It takes a firm squeeze at the exact location to feel the click. Real firm.
TODAY my headache is coming to grips that certain micro usb cables are charge only or data only. I don?t believe it. What makes it worse is the exact the same cables, same part numbers, with some identical phones do it or don?t do it. What a story or variables.

KCPhil

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem replying to an old thread - especially if it gets me an answer. In this case, it doesn't look like an answer was ever posted. All I've found, so far, is how to disable it on an Note 2 that has been rooted. I have a Galaxy S4 Active from AT&T, so that would not apply.

NoelV

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I know this is a very old thread, but I'll try anyway. I too would like to deactivate the home button from waking up or turning the display back on. In my pocket it goes on all the time and invariably music gets turned on and I wind up pocket dialing. My point tho is that while I get it is not helpful, but I remember a specific question or click box was presented to me asking me if I wanted to allow the home button to wake the screen. I selected yes, but regret doing so. Now I can't find my way back to it. Anyway, from a novice point of view, it seems that "rooting" is a little drastic and there is an option in the settings to do this. Whatever "rooting" means.

Oh, I'm using Galaxy S5

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance