1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anybody else thinking of switching from the GS3 to the Nexus 4?

Just thought I'd get some input and see if anybody else is thinking about doing the same thing I am. Here are a few reasons why I am thinking of switching.
    1.) Pure Google experience. No more of the AT&T bloatware. I do not route my phones, so it doesn't matter to me that if I did I could take all of the crap that AT&T loads on there off. I will admit, this seems to be the best phone so far that AT&T hasn't ruined by putting all of their crap on.
    2.) Quad core processor vs dual core. Probably not going to see any gigantic speed difference, but I can tell you that my Nexus 7 is somewhat, if not noticeably faster than my GS3.
    3.) You knew I'd use this argument, so here it is. UPDATES! I am so sick hearing about updates coming, but never actually seeing them. It has been rumored since before September that we would get Jelly Bean and still nothing. Even if we do get it, that will probably be the last update this phone ever sees. The Nexus 4 is coming straight out of the box with it and when Key Lime Pie comes out, that phone will be one of the first ones to get it. Waiting on AT&T to ok and decide what crap they still want loaded on our phones is as good as me waiting on my dog to balance the budget. Not sure which would be faster.

In the GS3's defense. I should have gotten the International version and I wouldn't be going through all of the waiting for an update and having all the bloatware. I didn't though. The GS3 is by far the best phone I've ever had. I don't want to bring the Iphone up too much, since it has no impact on the two phones I'm comparing, but my God! The GS3 is worlds better than the IP5. I'm actually convinced it will be better than the IP6 when that comes out in another year.
    The other thing is I live in Colorado Springs. We will get LTE sometime in the next 10-100 years, so I really don't care if the Nexus 4 doesn't have it. I did take trip to LA a month ago and go to use LTE. Amazingly fast! I could say the same for how quickly my battery discharged though.
    I also do like the skin that Samsung uses, but still prefer the naked Google one. Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. Really thinking about ordering the Nexus 4 on Tuesday, but I really really love my GS3. What say you?

Default Re: Anybody else thinking of switching from the GS3 to the Nexus 4?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfast View Post
    Just thought I'd get some input and see if anybody else is thinking about doing the same thing I am. Here are a few reasons why I am thinking of switching.
    1.) Pure Google experience. No more of the AT&T bloatware. I do not route my phones, so it doesn't matter to me that if I did I could take all of the crap that AT&T loads on there off. I will admit, this seems to be the best phone so far that AT&T hasn't ruined by putting all of their crap on.
    2.) Quad core processor vs dual core. Probably not going to see any gigantic speed difference, but I can tell you that my Nexus 7 is somewhat, if not noticeably faster than my GS3.
    3.) You knew I'd use this argument, so here it is. UPDATES! I am so sick hearing about updates coming, but never actually seeing them. It has been rumored since before September that we would get Jelly Bean and still nothing. Even if we do get it, that will probably be the last update this phone ever sees. The Nexus 4 is coming straight out of the box with it and when Key Lime Pie comes out, that phone will be one of the first ones to get it. Waiting on AT&T to ok and decide what crap they still want loaded on our phones is as good as me waiting on my dog to balance the budget. Not sure which would be faster.

In the GS3's defense. I should have gotten the International version and I wouldn't be going through all of the waiting for an update and having all the bloatware. I didn't though. The GS3 is by far the best phone I've ever had. I don't want to bring the Iphone up too much, since it has no impact on the two phones I'm comparing, but my God! The GS3 is worlds better than the IP5. I'm actually convinced it will be better than the IP6 when that comes out in another year.
    The other thing is I live in Colorado Springs. We will get LTE sometime in the next 10-100 years, so I really don't care if the Nexus 4 doesn't have it. I did take trip to LA a month ago and go to use LTE. Amazingly fast! I could say the same for how quickly my battery discharged though.
    I also do like the skin that Samsung uses, but still prefer the naked Google one. Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. Really thinking about ordering the Nexus 4 on Tuesday, but I really really love my GS3. What say you?
    1. Dont care for pure google experience... truthfully enjoy touchwiz.. i use go launcher and nova from time to time but i keep going back to touchwiz... besides with pure google you lose out on the features samsung has built in to make touchwiz stand out from the rest.

2. as for the quad core vs dual core argument... its been debated over and over again. there is a difference but not enough to make me change my mind. the dual core in the s3 is definitely powerful enough to keep me satisfied and be able to take on whatever app comes out or update google pushes at-least for the next 19 months (whats left of my contract).

3. When it comes to updates.... i gotta say i really dont care. Yea i used to be angry too.. hearing about all the rumors that the next update was coming and such.. waiting months and months to get it. But honestly i got over it. I think after reading a good article about how the s3 and the like are merely android based phones i kinda changed my outlook. I mean yeah i want the latest update.. but at the same time i bought a samsung phone. if they chose to and if ever updated it then awesome. yeah google may of released a new version of android.. but what does that really have to do with samsungs phone. They may update it to include all the newest features of android but if they dont its likely because they didnt feel it needs it or they've declared the device a legacy model and are working on bigger and better things. Of course if you want to update your phone yourself and dont care about touchwiz or just want something closer to stock stock android then there is always cyanogenmod or the like to help you out. This point here is truly opinion based. if you want the lasted and greatest from GOOGLE..... then you need a GOOGLE phone.. if you want the lasted and greatest from SAMSUNG... then you gotta get a SAMSUNG phone and simply enjoy what parts of android they left intact for you.

---- now then i will leave you with my final thoughts..
    i hate that there is no sd card slot
    i dont like the look of stock google (mute point considering this is android and i can just change it..)
    and yes its a cheap phone... very cheap actually... but the facts remain that their really is no benefit to buying a unlocked phone. I mean if i'm missing something then please point it out.

Where has AT&T said any updates were coming. The rumors you are so tired of hearing about are coming from this forum and wishful thinking, nothing from AT&T. If you're tired of your SIII then by all means move on.

No SD slot= NO SALE for me.

They are both monster devices. I just don't see the benefit of the Nexus 4 over the GS 3. I think that Samsung's software puts the GS 3 above the Nexus 4 outside of the fact that it has a quad core processor.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.